Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

My X is stalling...

2000Xterra
06-06-2002, 05:04 PM
Hey everyone, my 2000 Xterra is stalling every time I come to a stop. Sometimes if I put it in nuetral it won't die but then again sometimes it will. It's a very sporatic problem but one thing I do know is that it doesn't matter if the A/C or blower is on (ruling out one sensor) and that the car has to be at operating temperature (or above) to stall. The vehicle only has 30,000 miles which amazes me. I don't want to take it to the dealer just yet...
Anyone experienced a problem like this?

Thanks,
-chris

OffroadX
06-06-2002, 05:34 PM
Can't tell if you have an auto or a manual transmission, but if it's a manual there's a TSB that sounds like it's the answer:

Service Bulletin Number: NTB00007
Bulletin Sequence Number: 995
Date of Bulletin: 2000/01
NHTSA Item Number: SB609976
Make: NISSAN TRUCK Model: XTERRA Year: 2000
Component: FUEL:FUEL INJECTION:IDLE SPEED CONTROL UNIT
Summary: SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT AN IDLE FLUCTUATION WHEN COASTING TO A STOP WITH THE CLUTCH DEPRESSED AND THE TRANSMISSION IN GEAR.

Hit your service dept. with that TSB number when you take it in.

Brent

2000Xterra
06-07-2002, 08:38 AM
Geez Brent, are you the only X mastermind on this forum?

Does this TSB include automatic tranny X's? I checked the codes in the ECU and I am gettind a code 34 which I believe is the Knock Sensor. Could this Idle Control Unit be causing confusion to the ECU producing the code 34? For I hear absolutely NO knocking and the engine purrs pretty smoothly. (when running :-( )

-chris

p.s. -- thanks for your help!

Schludwiller
06-07-2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by 2000Xterra
Geez Brent, are you the only X mastermind on this forum?

Yes. The rest of us all are quite stupid. :silly:

OffroadX
06-07-2002, 11:03 AM
It's all smoke and mirrors. I'm not an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night... :toothless:

Brent

2000Xterra
06-07-2002, 12:09 PM
I didn't mean to offend anyone in my last statement, I was just hoping to get a few more responses and to credit Brent at the same time. :)

-Chris

Schludwiller
06-07-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by 2000Xterra
I didn't mean to offend anyone in my last statement, I was just hoping to get a few more responses and to credit Brent at the same time. :)

-Chris

No problem. I was joking. We're all quite familiar with most of us around here. Nobody answered because we were all waiting for Brent to run to his service manual and get you the answer. ;)

2000Xterra
06-07-2002, 03:51 PM
OK, cool. I don't want anyone hating the "X newbie"...

:cool:

-Chris

Brent -- Does that TSB that you posted apply to automatic's?

rrdstarr
06-07-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Schludwiller

No problem. I was joking. We're all quite familiar with most of us around here. Nobody answered because we were all waiting for Brent to run to his service manual and get you the answer. ;)

Yeah, what he said!

ChuckH
06-07-2002, 08:02 PM
Usually an idle fluctuation and stalling like described is an indication of an Idle Stabilizer Valve or Control unit problem, so I would say Brent's probably correct. Should be easy for the dealer to diagnose and fix.

OffroadX
06-10-2002, 01:12 AM
All I know about the TSB is what it says. Appears to be manual tranny only.

Brent

2000Xterra
06-10-2002, 09:44 AM
Thanks everyone, for allowing me to appear to know what I'm talking about when I called the stealership.

-Chris

:)

2000Xterra
06-19-2002, 08:34 AM
Well, after having to bring it in twice, they finally figured out that it was the MAS. I also own a Dodge Stealth and know that those puppies run about $563 bones. Thank goodness we had about a thousand miles left on the warrenty so everything was free including the loaner truck they lent us. All is well now and figured I'd let ya all know.

Thanks again for all the input.

-Chris

esoX
06-26-2002, 11:32 AM
Sorry for my ignorance but what is an "MAS"? I need to know because my 2000 X automatic has started doing this same thing intermittantly. I think it may have to do with humidity, it seems like more humid days are when the problem shows. What is happening is after the X is warmed up and I stop at a light, the idle starts fluctuating wildly from 100 to 1500 rpm and eventually stalling. But as I said it is intermittant and when I had in the dealer last it never acted up and they did nothing, so it would help if I could tell them exactly what to look for.

Thanks for any help.

2000Xterra
06-26-2002, 01:18 PM
Well, the MAS is the Mass Airflow Sensor. I'm not exactly sure the way Nissan likes to label it but if I recall in their explanation they quoted the "mass air sensor". Eithor way, this sensor controls the A/F (air to fuel) mixture ratio during acceleration and at idle. With other vehicles I've owned, the TPS or the Throttle Position Sensor controlled the idle so it threw me way off. Anyways, the MAS was calibrating the A/F too rich which was mainly noticed at idle -- resulting in engine stalls. My problem was very sporadic and sounds like your having the exact same symptoms I had. I've noticed a substantial increase in gas milage too.
If you wish, I have the receipt at home and can take a look at it to give you some part numbers. (if they're listed)

Hope this helps,

-Chris

esoX
06-26-2002, 07:18 PM
Ya, I'd appreciate a part number if you have it. Did they happen to list the price on the receipt also? I take it this was fully covered under warranty?

Thanks in advance.

2000Xterra
06-27-2002, 08:58 AM
Crap, I forgot to bring the receipt to work. Yeah, it was fully covered under the warrenty. Even got a loaner for free since the part took two days to get here. I was actually quite pleased.

I will try to post the part numbers tomorrow.

-c

2000Xterra
07-03-2002, 08:44 AM
Hey EsoX, sorry it took me forever but here's the part number and description on my service invoice.

1 22680-7B001 MASS AIR F

Let me know how it goes...

-Chris

dendro
05-24-2005, 12:21 AM
Anybody have a copy of this TSB? I'm having this problem, the dealer wants to see the TSB, but I can't find a copy of it

Cheers,
Dirk

OffroadX
05-24-2005, 08:48 AM
If your dealer can't pull the TSB up in their system, they've got head up their ass. All dealerships have access to the TSBs.
The TSB number is in the second post.

Brent

dendro
05-24-2005, 09:51 AM
Thanks Brent, my thoughts exactly which is why I'm trying to go in with a copy of it. Perhaps their heads are up their asses is because we're up in Canada and they'tr just trying to keep their ears warm?
Cheers,
D

OffroadX
05-24-2005, 01:30 PM
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/xterra/NTB00007.pdf

dendro
05-24-2005, 01:53 PM
Much appreciated Brent...virtual beers to you!!

D

X in Italy
12-19-2005, 10:24 AM
I am having some problems with my blower it shakes the entire dash board and sounds like a lawnmower!!! the problem is I live in Italy and believe me or not it is the only registered X Terra in all of Europe!! therefor the parts are hard to get, possible but hard!!! how do you dismantel the blower anyway?

Thanks Dan

Add your comment to this topic!