Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

88' dodge d50 recently deceased. could i ask your opinion?

d50driver
12-09-2005, 04:42 PM
thanks for reading this first of all. and i will be highly enthusiastic to any tips or suggestions people can give me to allow me to fix my truck without the hefty price of an automechanic.

ok, so my truck has been having problems. recently the fifth gear went out. when i throw it in fifth it basically just pops back out into neutral again. the other gears work fine. so i have been driving it around in 4th on the freeway and such. it also has the tendency to make a winding noise which is hard to explain on this.

if you need more information to make any sort of general diagnosis please ask... and thanks again for reading or replying if you choose to do so.

on a minor note, does anyone know a good book on car mechanics that could teach me the basic inerworkings of a truck like mine? i'm all about learning about my truck.

thomas

neon_rt
12-09-2005, 04:48 PM
I've had one of those that 5th gear went out. Actually, it is very common for 5th gear to go out on these trucks.
You can drive in 4th forever or you can go look in a junkyard for another 5 speed. I would think that because of the age, the transmissions you will find will be just as worn out as yours.

potgrabber07
03-16-2008, 03:11 PM
I Have A Complete 86 D 50 Truck That Has Two Motors For Sale Cheap If I Can'tget It To Run In The Near Future

rockwood84
03-19-2008, 12:10 AM
fifth gear is the o/drive gear and the smallest ,weakest.sounds like the syncronizer for fifth gear is what pops it back out . go get you a haynes or chilton manual for '88 d50 most auto stores have them i know autozone and orielly's do.

jpb53
03-19-2008, 03:52 PM
The nut on the cluster assembly would back off on those causing a problem with 5th gear; Was it whining in fifth also? Nut has an elongated nose to it and it is staked into a slot cut in the shaft.

Add your comment to this topic!