Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 Sunfire sucking juice

hiduke89
12-08-2005, 05:13 PM
1995 sunfire. My sister came out of work one day to find her battery dead, she jumped it drove it home then the next day went to go to school and it was dead again. Unfortunly she is up at college no so i have not been able to check oout the car myself but in order to keep the battery from dieing she has to dissconect the negative battery cable when she parks and reconnect it when she goes somewhere. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?...Sorry for such little info. but thats all I got.

inatalonIXLR8
12-08-2005, 09:17 PM
Just a stab in the dark, but if an aftermarket stereo is installed with an amp, it may not have been hooked up properly. If the remote conection on the amp isn't hooked up to the usually blue remote turn on wire coming from the deck, the amp will draw power all the time, even with the deck turned off.

Probably not the problem, but it's worth checking out.

Also there may not be any issue with anything shorting out at all. It may just be a dead battery that either needs a trickle charge or replacement. If you charge it, make sure to top off the cells (if it's a maintenance type battery) with de-ionized water.

quake61
12-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Just a stab in the dark, but if an aftermarket stereo is installed with an amp, it may not have been hooked up properly. If the remote conection on the amp isn't hooked up to the usually blue remote turn on wire coming from the deck, the amp will draw power all the time, even with the deck turned off.

Probably not the problem, but it's worth checking out.

Also there may not be any issue with anything shorting out at all. It may just be a dead battery that either needs a trickle charge or replacement. If you charge it, make sure to top off the cells (if it's a maintenance type battery) with de-ionized water.

i say is a short somewhere could be a small wire not making a big deal while the car is running but

after sitting all night could be drainning the cell\
also as the other guy said could be a wrong hooked up amp

or some other accesory good luck

unbe
12-15-2005, 05:45 PM
Do you have acces to an ammeter

Add your comment to this topic!