Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Headlight problems..........Help!!

rottenrog
11-18-2005, 03:48 PM
I was driving home one night when I noticed that one of my low beams were out. When I went to check it I noticed that not only was one of my low beams not working but also that my high beams were on but were dimly lit. I thought this was really weird because my high beams weren't even switched on. At first I thought it was a fuse so I replaced the headlight fuses but that didn't work. So I tried new light bulbs but that didn't work either. Now Im thinking its either the lighting relay or a bad ground wire. If anyone knows whats going on please, HELP! Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

..............Oh and forgot to metion its a 94 Honda Accord LX.

Tarheel1
11-19-2005, 09:01 AM
You have a short in one of your wires to the lamp and it is partially grounding the current. This usually occurs when a wire is ribbing on a sharp edge of a metal body panel juncture (where two panels are joined). The rubbing will wear through the paint onthe panel, and the wire insulation until a small contact is made draining to ground most of the current, but not all, hence the dim light. Trace the wiring to search for the spot. Also clean contacts on the connectors.

Copytech99
11-19-2005, 01:59 PM
Clean and check connector at bulb.

swiftrecon
11-21-2005, 11:00 PM
personally i dont think it would be a short..... if it is a short your fuse will be burned instantly...therefore a dirty connector/wire could be faulty....rust could act like a semiconductor which allows electrons to go through when heated up...that's probably the cause of delay......clean your connectors/wires with sandpaper....if it doesn't work...try chemicals...like baking soda solution.

rottenrog
11-22-2005, 06:44 PM
Well I found out it was a short after all. I had a short in one of my ballast which was instantly blowing my headlight fuse and that was causing my dim high beams. Thanks for the info guys.

Add your comment to this topic!