Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Towing a trailer with a Prism

CapitalCity2
11-14-2005, 12:39 AM
I am moving soon and am looking into options of how to move my things. I have a 95 Geo Prism. U-Haul claims that the car is capable of towing a small trailer behind it, but I have my doubts. This car seems to have such a weak engine. Do you think it could handle it? Any input from people would be appreciated! Thanks!

It is a car!
11-15-2005, 08:19 AM
I do know they make class 1 (2,000 lbs) Hitches for Prizms;

First - find out your car's published towing capacity.
I would gues it is 1,500 lbs- but you need to find out.

bigirb2002
11-20-2005, 06:05 PM
i will lend u some money to get a uhaul man seriously

treywink
11-20-2005, 09:28 PM
I have a 94 Geo Prism (automatic, 1.6) on which I have installed a Class I hitch to pull a small boat trailer. It works well for local area fetches. Do understand that it is unrealistic to think that you can pull very much, but depending on your needs it might do just fine. For a once in a while need, you'll accept less performance; it's not like your going to highway cruising. Your best advice, talk to some body that has some towing experience regardless of what they drive.

Now, for some really good news! Iíll bet your car is made for a hitch just like mine. Look under the rear of the car where the frame rails, pressed body frame, come back to the bumper. You will probably see two or three holes several inches apart. If they are there, on the inside of the rails, then you have the same as I do on my Geo. Look closely in the holes and youíll see that there are internal nut plates. You can buy a bumper from U-Haul or any other distributor and just bolt it on with bolts provided with the hitch. Your bumper, plastic, will probably interfere a bit but thatís no problem. Just remove the two screws from the two forward prongs of the bumper to allow it some flexibility and bend the bumper upward a bit to push the tow bar in place. In less than fifteen minutes youíll have installed it your self!!!

For starters try: HitchFinder.com, Customer Service Toll Free: 1- 866-308-9051, part # 24579, Fits: 1993-2002 Chevy/Geo Prizm. I bought my Geo hitch from U-Haul and my Toyota Echo hitch from Hitch Finder.
Happy traileriníÖ.:smile:

jamesmetairie
11-27-2005, 09:03 PM
I am moving soon and am looking into options of how to move my things. I have a 95 Geo Prism. U-Haul claims that the car is capable of towing a small trailer behind it, but I have my doubts. This car seems to have such a weak engine. Do you think it could handle it? Any input from people would be appreciated! Thanks!i had a u-haul hitch installed on my 1990 corolla. it was ok for very light loads around town. but i would not take it out on the interstate. the engine and transmission can pull it, the problem is the hitch ain,t really securely mounted. there ain,t nothing under the bumper area for the installation guy to fasten it to.i worried the whole time i was pulling. i live in the new orleans katrina wiped-out area. if you want to sell that car please e-mail= jamesmetairie@yahoo.com i need to buy a car. thanks.

treywink
11-27-2005, 11:30 PM
1988-1992 Toyota Corolla 2 & 4 Dr. Sedans

http://www.hitchfinder.com/hitches/217.gif http://www.hitchfinder.com/hitches/1.gif
See this site at HitchFinder.com:http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=s-3465&bool=AND&category=k2_combo_makemodel_search&maxhits=50&keywords=1990&keywords_2=Toyota+Corolla&GO=GO%21

These are the hitch styles that were available of your Corolla similar to what I had used on a Toyota Celica. It is a 2000# Class I hitch. I towed a small trailer that was packed to the brim (800-1000 # of cargo) and towed it on the highways from Texas to Colorado (Vail... mountains) and back again a year later. These cars are not made for hitches so these are drilled and bolted to frame and bumper members if exiisting boltholes are not available to provide an adequate fastening.

The Geo Prism as I stated in an earlier posting is made for a hitch in that it has the fastener points provided that readily allows the hitch to be bolted right on with no drilling or modifications required. It does not require bumper attachement, besides most bumpers will not take a load so frame attachement is necessary. :)

Add your comment to this topic!