Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

timing help 95 900se

powellscooter
11-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Good morning all, I have just aquired a 1995 Saab 900 se with a 2.5 v6 non turbo. 113000 miles, no history available. I need to know , is this an interference engine? I believe the timing belt is "stripped" ie; the teeth are gone/damaged. I believe this for a couple of reasons, engine will crank/no start with a loud buzzing in the area of the timing cover and when looking in the oil cap I dont see the front camshaft turning, also there is what appears to be a new timing belt in the trunk. I guess the previous owner didnt get to it in time. The belt is a part # 90 500 360 39. What kind of job is a timing belt replacment? any special tools needed? any hidden pitfalls along the way? how about tensioner,hydraulic or spring type. I am impressed so far by the little Saab, it reminds me of my 3 series BMWs. Any help, advice, scolding, ridicule will be welcomed

adept-I
05-15-2006, 03:44 AM
Well, to be honest, replacement of the timing belt on those things (the V6's) is a VERY involved and time consuming job, the explanation of how-to alone would take me a considerable amount of time in and of itself.
May I suggest that you locate a Haynes or Chiltons manual for your particular model engine..., you're going to need it ?!? (No discouragement intended)

Add your comment to this topic!