Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Having gauge problems? heres the answer

maltesesteeze
11-02-2005, 01:32 PM
To all you 1997-2001 cherokee owners having that annoying problem of intermminent gauge dropouts and airbag light illumination, heres what is happening. It is a bad wiring harness that has notoriously gone bad over a relatively small time period. So bad that Jeep has recognized it and will be able to fix it easily. Unfortunately its not a bad enough problem that they make a recall so its not a free repair unless youre still on warranty. If you really wish to get it fixed, you have two options: You can pay the dealer to fix it up, which costs $104.00. Or you can buy the needed parts for $20.00 and try and do it yourself. I'll probably do it myself, and ill let you all know how easy or difficult it actually is. Hope this helps everyone, I've had the problem for while and this is the only real answer anyone has ever given me. Best of Luck!

AlohaBra
11-03-2005, 11:42 AM
What are the parts that you need and where can I order them.
Is it the airbag recall...I had that done.

maltesesteeze
11-03-2005, 02:23 PM
As i said, its not a recall. The part number is 05106261aa. I tried going in there and looking at it but its more than i want to deal with, I'm mechanically inclined but this requires a little additional saldering skills. I did however clean the connectors between the harnesses and the back of the gauge and its fixed for now, but who knows when it may start again. Good luck

refrigerationdude
11-04-2005, 02:11 AM
As i said, its not a recall. The part number is 05106261aa. I tried going in there and looking at it but its more than i want to deal with, I'm mechanically inclined but this requires a little additional saldering skills. I did however clean the connectors between the harnesses and the back of the gauge and its fixed for now, but who knows when it may start again. Good luck

So this is whats causing my gas gauge problem? I'm gussing more and more of my gauges are going to start acting up? I have a 98 Cherokee sport. Could you post more info as to what is bad, is it the wiring harness itself, or the connectors, a relay, etc?? Where did you clean, at the gauge cluster or the otehr end of the harness, which is where?

Thanks,

Jeff

maltesesteeze
11-04-2005, 02:32 AM
if you want every small detail call a jeep dealership, tell them the symptoms and they'll explain it. But they will probably try and use unnecessary language to confuse you. It is faulty wires in what I believe is the wiring harnesses that plug into the back of the gauge cluster and go to the ecu. Its not fun getting all that dash stuff off, but just pull where there arent any obvious screws and it'll pop out. I cleaned the plug recievers on the back of the cluster (there are two identical, rectangular white plug areas) and the two plugs from the wiring harness and just put it back in with as solid a connection as i could get. Its been two days now and its had zero problems so im keeping my fingers crossed. Like I said, give that a shot and if youre lucky it'll help. Otherwise the part is $8.20, $20 for parts from the dealer with things like heat tube and soldering wire, and around $100 for labor if you really want to bend over and have it repaired.

AlohaBra
11-06-2005, 12:36 AM
So this is whats causing my gas gauge problem? I'm gussing more and more of my gauges are going to start acting up? I have a 98 Cherokee sport. Could you post more info as to what is bad, is it the wiring harness itself, or the connectors, a relay, etc?? Where did you clean, at the gauge cluster or the otehr end of the harness, which is where?

Thanks,

Jeff[/QUOTE]
The gas gage problem is a recall on the 97, maybe the 98, because it would run out of gas before it showed empty...mine ran out twice. They change the sender in the tank.

This erratic gage issue has not happened on my 97 XJ Sport.

fredjacksonsan
11-09-2005, 09:32 AM
Lots of folks have this same problem; good post.

95xjsport
11-09-2005, 02:35 PM
good post... My 98 is doing that, so basically, I should take the cluster and clean out the connectors? but why does it "fix itself" when I flip the wipers on and off? My friends "fixes itself" when he flips the headlights on and off...

fredjacksonsan
11-09-2005, 02:52 PM
Electronics are funky...my wife's 99 did the same thing. Maybe the voltage change when changing wipers/lights is enough to do it.

95xjsport
11-09-2005, 03:05 PM
Thats true, The lighs and wipers probably do draw a substancial a bit of power

DOCTORBILL
07-23-2011, 10:42 AM
The electrical connectors have thin metal slivers that slide into thin metal sockets.

They get oxidized and the connection can be disrupted.

Our air now has oxidizing pollutants that can form an oxide layer on cheaply made socket
contacts. That's why the military uses gold plated contacts - at least used to....

By moving them around or scraping the male and/or female connector surfaces,
you 'might' fix the problem.

Oxidized contacts can 'spark' at the poor contact (high resistance) which causes even
more oxidation leading to subsequent failure. Then the contacts need scraping.

My deceased father was Chief electrical engineer at Hallicrafters Radio in Chicago
and he used to put a thin layer of Zinc Oxide Ointment on electrical contacts and
plug prongs to keep good electrical contact - it lubes the connectors and prevents oxidation.

I've been doing that for 40 years, and it sure helps keep contacts good !

BTW - That's the Zinc Oxide Ointment sold in drug stores in a squeeze tube - really cheap !

DoctorBill

djhughes
05-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Thank you for the great post. The main reason I joined this site was to find help with this issue. I have a 1999 Jeep and the airbag light comes on and all the other gauges drop (rpm, oil pressure, ect.) Thanks for the info. I can already see this is going to be a great forum. Thanks

ltljon
03-16-2014, 08:16 PM
Any new input on this problem?
I'm having same problems but not clear on what needs to be replaced.

danmcdnld1990
10-23-2014, 04:25 PM
i was having this problem and then also had a lack of engine power suddenly. a pulled over and turned off the vehicle. when i went to turn it back on it wont start.makes that clicking noise as if the battery or alternator is having a problem. but im not sure those would affect my ability to accelorate. my jeep is dead in a parking lot. :( please help

rhandwor
11-20-2014, 07:17 PM
i was having this problem and then also had a lack of engine power suddenly. a pulled over and turned off the vehicle. when i went to turn it back on it wont start.makes that clicking noise as if the battery or alternator is having a problem. but im not sure those would affect my ability to accelorate. my jeep is dead in a parking lot. :( please help
Clean the battery connections and use an ohm meter to check the ground wire, Sometimes a ground for the dash will also get corroded, look around the floor under the dash for a ground.

RedRodeo
04-03-2017, 06:25 PM
When I got my 01 Cherokee Sport, it had an additional oil gauge rigged up, the gauge sat on top of the 4X shifter and hardly ever registered any oil pressure. Had my cousin look at it(he has owed several Jeeps for himself and his kids). He took out the extra gauge, put in a new oil pressure sending unit. Now it still barely shows any pressure on the dash gauge while at an idle and the "check gauges" lights continues to come on. Runs at about 20. When I initially start it it registers at 40 until it warms up.
If it is only this one gauge that is not working properly, is it still a bad wiring harness problem, or do we need to be looking for something else causing the problem?
It has plenty of oil and pressure.
I was so happy to find your post right at the beginning for the gauge problem.
Thank you

rhandwor
04-03-2017, 06:32 PM
Your pressures look like some bearings are going bad. I would pull out the sending unit and use a manual gauge and double check the oil pressure. If it is correct I would plan on upgrading your vehicle before it gets hot.

Add your comment to this topic!