Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What is the best tyre pressure?

Spunkymonkey
05-24-2002, 09:51 PM
Just wondering what tyre pressure do you recommend. My 205/40/17's are usually recommended max pressure is about 45kpa...

when I originally bought the car the tyre pressure was like 44.....but I've been running it on about 38kpa...

opinions..

got the new tyres on yesterday, and like always they were all different pressures :rolleyes:

I've put them back to 38kpa today.

spunkymunky
05-27-2002, 04:30 AM
are u sure u mean kpa and not psi??

Spunkymonkey
05-27-2002, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by spunkymunky
are u sure u mean kpa and not psi??

u know what I mean... :p

psi....happy now :silly2:

jOYRiDe
05-27-2002, 07:01 AM
i just pump it to what the manufacturer recommends for sity use or highway/heavy load use...

Spunkymonkey
05-27-2002, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by jOYRiDe
i just pump it to what the manufacturer recommends for sity use or highway/heavy load use...

ummm....

but I think honda usually recommend like 26 or something like that....and thats for their stock tyres....

not taking into consideration australian roads....

plus I'm riding on 40 series too.

jOYRiDe
05-27-2002, 07:09 AM
well its been a while since i pumped a tyre, i used to go 28-34psi for the commodore. i dont think ive ever pumped a 40 series tyre before :confused:

Setanta
05-27-2002, 07:11 AM
I run 45 on long trips and 38 normally, then again, that's 60 series tyres

Spunkymonkey
05-27-2002, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by jOYRiDe
well its been a while since i pumped a tyre, i used to go 28-34psi for the commodore. i dont think ive ever pumped a 40 series tyre before :confused:

well the previous owner, didn't know anything about cars, and when I got the car home it was like on 44 psi....and max was 45...no wonder ride was a bit hard...

but yeah soon put it down.

yeah when I got it back other day, like one tyre was like 44, other like 40...all different...

always notice that when I get new tyres....

Oz
05-28-2002, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Spunkymonkey

well the previous owner, didn't know anything about cars, and when I got the car home it was like on 44 psi....and max was 45...no wonder ride was a bit hard...

but yeah soon put it down.

yeah when I got it back other day, like one tyre was like 44, other like 40...all different...

always notice that when I get new tyres....

Servo guages are wildly inaccurate, if thats what you're using. Buy a small pen sized one from auto places for like $5-$10. Tyre pressures vary heaps between manufacturers and cars - even on same series tyres. Best bet is to have a chat with whoever fits them, as they will have a much better insight.

Spunkymonkey
05-28-2002, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Setanta
I run 45 on long trips and 38 normally, then again, that's 60 series tyres

missed your post... :o

whats the max pressure on your tyres anyway?

Spunkymonkey
05-28-2002, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by ozriceboy

Servo guages are wildly inaccurate, if thats what you're using. Buy a small pen sized one from auto places for like $5-$10. Tyre pressures vary heaps between manufacturers and cars - even on same series tyres. Best bet is to have a chat with whoever fits them, as they will have a much better insight.

I usually use the electronic ones at the woolworths or shell servo near home.

they're becoming more popular, as the other gauges used to get stolen all the time from the local servos.

Setanta
05-28-2002, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Spunkymonkey

missed your post... :o

whats the max pressure on your tyres anyway?

You missed... me? :(

heheh - anyway, max is 45, but I've noticed that they lose a fair bit on a haul down to Victoria - tht's why I pop them right up :)

Hmmm... well, the old tyres were 45... I've never really checked these ones....

Spunkymonkey
05-28-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Setanta

You missed... me? :(

heheh - anyway, max is 45, but I've noticed that they lose a fair bit on a haul down to Victoria - tht's why I pop them right up :)

Hmmm... well, the old tyres were 45... I've never really checked these ones....

:p

oh ok... I think I'll stick to 38 then, cause I don't want to put it too high....the ride will be too hard then :p

rides a little different with the new tyres...

took it out for a little spin last night, and I'm pretty impressed with how the dunlops are responding.... :D

might go out for a fang with Lang tomorrow during the day...she has to waste petrol in the RX7 before it goes to heathcote soon.

Oz
05-29-2002, 04:07 AM
If you run lower tyre pressures you get more wear and crappier ride, but MUCH more traction. Good for traffic light duels ;)

Spunkymonkey
05-29-2002, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by ozriceboy
If you run lower tyre pressures you get more wear and crappier ride, but MUCH more traction. Good for traffic light duels ;)

yeah...but if I run higher pressures on my tyres...remember I've got pretty hard suspension...so I don't want to be dying :p

ride is OK on 38...bit firm 40 upwards.

hehehe....I already redlined it a couple times last night :p

like I said traction is much better with the dunlops....but then anything is better than crap hey :p

also quieter too.

Samsmith47
03-17-2016, 03:30 AM
Tyre pressure is not determined by the type of tyre or its size but
upon your vehicle's load and driving application i.e. speed.

To find out what your car's tyre pressure should be, consult the manufacturers tyre placard usually found inside the driver's door sill, glove box, fuel filler cap or under the bonnet.

The placard also displays the manufacturers recommended tyre sizes.
Tyre pressures should be checked when the tyre is 'cold', as pressure increases as the tyre becomes 'hot'.

Take the "cold" reading and check them against the recommended tyre pressures from your placard. Heavy loads or towing puts an extra strain on your tyres. So if your vehicle is fully loaded with passengers and luggage, the general rule is to add 28kpa (4PSI or 4lbs).

Believe it or not, checking your tyre pressure can have a big impact on our environment. An under-inflated tyre creates more rolling resistance and therefore more fuel consumption. By keeping your tyres inflated to their proper levels, you can help maximise your car's fuel economy and minimise its impact on our environment.

Add your comment to this topic!