Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

how to change a timing belt please

flair99ta
10-03-2005, 08:48 AM
Hello Fellow HYUNDAI DRIVERS ,how are you today ?
I need information on how to change a TIMING BELT in a 2001 SANTA FE please...
any tips or links is greatly appreciated...
and i promise i will use my TURN SIGNAL from now ;)
please BUCKLE Up and DRIVE SAFE / SOYEZ PRUDENT
muchas gracias,merci beaucoup,thank you very much...
see u in CORNWALL Ontario Canada ...INVEST at HWY 401 "K" !!

twospirits
10-04-2005, 02:11 PM
There is a step by step instructions in the Hyundai Webtech site.

TS out

wb4lbg
12-08-2005, 08:25 AM
Hey TwoSpirits,

That Hyundai Tech website requires a user registration and log-in. Can mere mortals avail themselves of this site?

I'm looking at buying a 2001 Santa Fe with 98K miles on it so I expect that besides changing the oil and transmission fluid, a timing belt would be coming soon. Do you know if the V-6 they used in 2001 (2.7L?) was a non-interference engine? Or is the valve train going to get wrecked if it breaks at 70 MPH?

Thanks!

twospirits
12-08-2005, 08:44 AM
Hey TwoSpirits,

That Hyundai Tech website requires a user registration and log-in. Can mere mortals avail themselves of this site?Go to this thread (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=340357) and it shows you the step by step instructions on how to get into webtech.

I'm looking at buying a 2001 Santa Fe with 98K miles on it so I expect that besides changing the oil and transmission fluid, a timing belt would be coming soon. Go here (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=357365) for the recommended service info as required by Hyundai. According to the info, the timing belt is not replaced until the 120,000 (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=357530)interval in your case.

Do you know if the V-6 they used in 2001 (2.7L?) was a non-interference engine? Or is the valve train going to get wrecked if it breaks at 70 MPH?

Thanks!That I know of the valve train will not break at 70 mph. But then again I am no mechanic, nor expert. Maybe our resident tech guru lowsonoma can shed some light in this aspect.

TS out

wb4lbg
12-08-2005, 09:26 AM
Well 120K would be the next timing belt change IF it had been replaced at 60K. I'm betting it has never been replaced. I went 105K before changing the first one on my '93 Accord and 225K on the second one. Both looked like brand new belts when they came off. The 2.0L in the Accord was an interference engine so changing the belt is PM.

It would be nice if I could get the service history on this vehicle but the guy who is selling it is not the original owner. Don't know if he can give me the original owner's name or not.

As a side note, the maintenance schedule you linked to said that changing the belt at 60K and 120K was recommended in CA but not required. Elsewhere on this forum, I have read that you can toss the 10 yr/100K engine warranty out the window if the belt has not been changed at the recommended intervals. How long should the factory timing belt last?

twospirits
12-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Well what I posted in those posts is actually coming from Hyundai themselves within the Original Hyundai Factory Service Schedule that they put out. Now why its differenct for California, I haven't an idea. Now your dealership may say otherwise, that its needed to be changed earlier, but according to Hyundai themselves, there is no need too. So for all intent and purposes, if the belt were to go bad before their recommended change of 120,000 then they cannot blame the customer or refuse your warranty cause the documentation itself states no need to change it until the 120,000 interval.

TS out

wb4lbg
12-08-2005, 04:17 PM
TS,

In the service schedule you linked to, the maintenance at the 60K and 120K intervals are practically identical. In particular, on the timing belt, it says:

Replace timing belt (Recommended for California, not required)

So it "sounds" like it isn't "required" at 60K or 120K. Or maybe it means it's required everywhere but California where it is only recommended. Maybe all that desert air makes the belt last longer?

When I owned my Accord, the manual said to "inspect" the timing belt at 90K but the dealer wanted to replace it at 60K. I don't recall there being anything in the owner's manual about changing it.

Since the amount of labor required to actually change the timing belt is only marginally more than the amount to inspect it, I doubt many people would opt for the inspection. Since the Accord warranty was only 36Kmi/36mo, it wasn't a warranty issue but it sounds like it might be on the Santa Fe.

With 98K on the clock on the Santa Fe I'm looking at, the warranty isn't an issue since I doubt it's transferrable in the first place and I'm not liable to change it until 100K anyway. It's winter here in KY and my garage is not heated. :mad:

But this is good info for all those who have Santa Fe's in the 60 to 100K mileage range. BTW, what have you personally done on yours? Did you opt to replace the belt at 60K?

twospirits
12-08-2005, 07:58 PM
My website shows most of the things I have done on my santy, as for regu;ar service, my santy only has 31000 miles on it and I am overdue for the 30,000.

TS out

Add your comment to this topic!