Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mystique Stalls Intermittently HELP

schmooly
09-22-2005, 10:35 PM
Hello Forum
I have my 98 Mystique 4 Cyl presently at the mechanic
It appears that the car stalls shortly after driving it a short distance, It then starts again but continues to stall
After a few days of Mechanical Head Scratching " And Diagnostic machines" My Local mechanic is still clueless as to why this is occuring.
His Question is one of Multiple Error codes, I Believe one was the Oxygen sensor, another a Misaligned Cam?
He later told me if he begins to repair EITHER/OR, it might be wasting money
He is completely baffled as to why this is occuring and claims it might also be the computer?

Has anyone in this group had a similar experience with this problem " Of the Intermittent stalling?"

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Michael

beyondloadedSE
09-24-2005, 01:18 PM
Id say your timing belt could have slipped a notch and is definetely a possibility. Your fuel pump might need to be changed as well.

Heres what a guys fuel pump looked like after a 137K miles.

http://www.fototime.com/{AADC7441-F57F-4443-A377-7C6913311994}/picture.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/{B1ABBC37-9D17-42FA-874B-D537589F2BEE}/picture.JPG

schmooly
09-24-2005, 05:44 PM
Thank You for the info, I will immediately pass on all you provided
I should also mention it has Approx 100K Miles on it, so that may very well be the problem

jefnf
09-27-2005, 01:32 AM
My 2000 contour with 2.0 auto 88k, has the same stalling problem. In drive it will stall comming to a stop. has code of po340, cam position sensor. It has been changed but still has same code and stalling. I am having trouble figuring it out also. just read in another post on hesitation that the idler pulley for the timming belt is operated with oil. I ASSUME that its like a toyota I use to have. in that there is a small orifice that can plug up with the wrong grade, or dirty oil from not being serviced regular. they suggested flushing the oil and be sure to use 5-30 with a non flow back oil filter. anyone else familiar with this situation and remidy??? or is my thinking on the idler pulley all wrong. I was wandering if my problem with the camshaft position sensor is an improperly adjusted timming belt as a result of the idler pulley not working properly. please reply all you ford experts

Mark Allen
03-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Just went through this with our 2000 Mystique on the way from SLC to Vegas. Both the Gas Pump and the Pump relay module failed together. We had no fuel and no spark... aparently the pump relay also controls the ignition firing, or cuts it out if fuel delivery fails. First replaced the relay module and then the car would start and run again but would stall easily. Then had the pump replaced at a Ford dealer and it runs like a champ again. This is a fun car to drive... we intend on keeping it a while longer.

beyondloadedSE
03-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Just went through this with our 2000 Mystique on the way from SLC to Vegas. Both the Gas Pump and the Pump relay module failed together. We had no fuel and no spark... aparently the pump relay also controls the ignition firing, or cuts it out if fuel delivery fails. First replaced the relay module and then the car would start and run again but would stall easily. Then had the pump replaced at a Ford dealer and it runs like a champ again. This is a fun car to drive... we intend on keeping it a while longer.

Holy old thread batman! This thread is from 2005! :nono:

pbrittain71
04-15-2007, 03:29 PM
Michael-
I am not sure if I am right but when it stalls out do you have to jump it to get it started again? If so then please check your starter or your alternator!! There could be some wires that are loose or off to make it do that!! It also could be one of the map sensors!! Get you a haynes manual on it because it has the trouble shooting for each problem on it!! Maybe check the fuel system and see if one of the sensors are crazy!! the mystiques I have found have to have the ford motor company put it on the machine to get the correct codes!! I had to take my 1998 mystique v6 to the dealership to get it correctly diagonsed. before we took her to another place that is very trustworthy and they could not tell me what the difficulty was until it went to its maker!!
Paula

3100guy
03-05-2009, 10:23 PM
It's possible that it's the engine wiring harness as Ford had a recall for this product as it had a history of cracking causing it to short and stall. The recall would replace the part provided the car was less than 10 years old or under 100,000 miles which ever came first. Hope this helps.

Add your comment to this topic!