Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Wheel Hub?

bigry2004
09-11-2005, 01:15 AM
while replacing the brake pads tonight, i noticed an odd occurence. doing the drivers side, i didnt have a problem and the rotor had no gouges and felt nice and snug. however, after taking the caliper off the passenger side the rotor felt loose and slipped right off. the bearing on the wheel and the hub felt solid as a rock though and had no play. this must be a really stupid question [you can tell me if it is] but is the rotor supposed to just slide off like that? maybe i jarred it loose when wiggling off the caliper but i thought it had a key or groove that locked it into place. obviously, its fine once you put the caliper and the tire lugs back on, i just was curious if this was normal or not. :eek7:

dmbrisket 51
09-11-2005, 11:02 AM
roters come right off

JA no Y
09-11-2005, 01:20 PM
The only thing holding a rotor on the hub is the breaks and the caliper. And the wheel studs of course. Over time rust will form between the rotor and the hub so when you try to take it off, it won't budge. So be thankfull it slid off so easily. They can be a pain to get off if they stuck and you plan on reusing them. Last thing you want is to damage your rotors when trying to get them off.

dmbrisket 51
09-11-2005, 02:40 PM
at the shop we wont even try saven them, the way its looked at is, you can A. buy a new set for 60 bucks or so, and have brand new, or pay us a labor rate of 45 an hour, and we possibly succede and you get your old ones back, possibly damage them from being so thin, and then its labor plus new...

BlazerLT
09-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Yip, rotors should come off and maybe in the past someone has had that side off for a repair.

bigry2004
09-12-2005, 01:51 AM
thanks for the help. this forum rocks

Add your comment to this topic!