Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Inspections

Lysyrna
09-01-2005, 10:05 PM
I'm from Pennsylvania and I wondering if anyone from PA or it's surrounding states could help me answer a question I've been having. Once the inspection stickers have expired, how long, roughly, can you drive your vehicle without worrying about getting fined, if pulled over? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

:dunno::1zhelp:

e7ats
09-05-2005, 09:52 AM
There is no grace period after the sticker runs out. PA expects you to have it reinspected before the sticker runs out. I'm guessing you were unable to get it in the garage before the weekend.

'97ventureowner
09-05-2005, 11:00 PM
In New York the DMV reccomends residents get their vehicles inspected early in the month that their vehicle's inspection runs out. As long as the sticker is still valid (until the end of the month punched,) the inspecting station cannot remove the sticker. Once the sticker has expired, the inspecting station has to remove it before starting the inspection. With the new emissions inspecting requirements in this state, many vehicles are failing that part of the inspection. Having your vehicle inspected towards the beginning of the month gives the vehicle's owner time to have the necessary repairs done and drive the vehicle so the OBD system can go through it's process and your vehicle can be ready for reinspection. Here in NY, you are "pushing your luck" driving around with either an expired inspection sticker or no sticker at all. We have some sharp-eyed police who can spot an expired sticker on an incoming vehicle. They have taken the time to know where the months are on the sticker and where the punch hole should be. I've had friends pulled over and ticketed for expired inspections this way. With newer technology and everything being barcoded ( registration stickers, inspection stickers, insurance cards, driver's licenses,) I wouldn't be surprised if someday in the future there will be bar code reading devices in police cars that can tell a cop if your vehicle's registration, or inspection has expired. or is suspended, without the cop ever getting out of their car. This state is currently using devices during traffic stops to speed up ticket writing and enforcement. And convenience stores are using similar devices to scan driver's licenses to spot underage alcohol purchasers, and fake ID's.

Add your comment to this topic!