Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

converting celica to rear wheel drive

jwaj2002
08-30-2005, 03:43 AM
ok I was at the junkyard today and found a supra, and was wondering what it would take to convert a celica, to a rwd like the supra, assuming I bought the entire powertrain(would be way down the road), including the wiring harness and the front suspension, I already intend to buy a good chunk of the supra body for my celica to replace rusted through panels(celicas are hard to find atleast 87's in arkansas)

jaybratt
08-30-2005, 06:18 PM
Why not just buy a supra instead??? It will take a lot more to change the celica all around instead of just getting a supra.

Chiquae07
08-30-2005, 09:00 PM
id go the supra route. its a lot easier. trying to put a driveshaft on a FWD car is not going to be easy. or you could just buy a old skoo celica i dont remember the year when they last were rwd. supra, rebuild it up, its the easiest way

jwaj2002
08-30-2005, 10:48 PM
it would be a long way down the road, I'm gonna attempt to transplant the powerplant and tranny from a datsun 240zx into my honda civic before I attempt anything other then putting a supra body on my celica

91 Celica St
08-31-2005, 03:00 AM
lol why would you put a 240z tranny on anything, those thigns BLOW, even if its short snout or long snout it sucks, the only reason why those things didnt break in like a minut is because the R-180 rear ends...

now if you said something liek you were gunna use the R-200 rear end from a 280z or 300zx w/a lsd then that would make sense....

then again mabe you mean 240SX becuase theres no such thing as a 240zx

and there s slim to no chance your gunna make a rear wheel drive celica, there was acompany taht took a 6th gen st-205 from japan, and converted their gt to AWD and swapped the 3sgte... they had a WHOLE car to convernt from and it still took them over 2 years to finish and thousands of dollars

buy a supra and mod it, the last celicas w rwd were the 3rd gens, the ones with the 22re's

C-Stylez
08-31-2005, 03:30 AM
I thought about doing the same thing, but the amount of $\time\work would be extremely extensive. I decided to just hook both cars up so that i have two bad ass toyotas. all I need now is a MR2 and ill be set. BTW 91 ST The engine looks sweet. great job bro.

jwaj2002
08-31-2005, 03:49 PM
the entire powerplant from a datsun 240 not just the tranny, and because I have it already and its just sitting there, besides it only has 10,000 original miles on the engine and tranny

91 Celica St
08-31-2005, 05:25 PM
you should try to find a r-200 rear end instead of that r-180, youll get about 1 second quicker on your 1/4 times just because of it (lsd and better ratio)

jwaj2002
08-31-2005, 08:07 PM
ok, putting that engine in a car that only weighs around 1750 pounds... its gonna be a very fast car, dont you agree?

jwaj2002
09-01-2005, 02:50 AM
ok since everyone says to just buy a supra, lets make it a theoretical question, where no answer is wrong, if you wanted to convert a fwd(front wheel drive) toyota celica to a rwd(rear wheel drive) celica/supra, what all aside from the power plant, transmission, driveshaft, front suspension, rear end along with rear suspension, would you need? (when I say power plant I also mean the wiring harness for said engine)

C-Stylez
09-01-2005, 03:12 AM
Actually an 87 Celica wieghs just over 3000 lbs. The curb wieght is on a sticker inside the door jam.(at least thats where it is on mine) but yea that is alot of engine for such a small car. The only thing I can think of that u would need to do is figure out how to get the driveshaft to the rear wheels because in most rear wheel drive cars the center is raised throughout the length of the shaft on the inside where the center console sits. I guess a little cutting and welding would fix that though.
Good luck if u do decide to do it though.

91 Celica St
09-01-2005, 01:48 PM
^ yes as well as completely new rear end suspension (id figure the al trac suspension owul work) replacing the gas tank, the trunk would be the most optimal choice...you definatly have to strengthen the whole unibody of the car, the At ,ST-184 and st-164 (yours) chassis werent meant for rwd so the rear end isnt wuite as strong in the flexibility department

Add your comment to this topic!