Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Low coolant problem

candyv
08-26-2005, 09:01 AM
I have a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am that I had just bought 3 months ago. A few days ago the Low Coolant light started coming on. Sometimes it would stay on and other times it would go away. I thought I needed the coolant so I put some in my car. While driving, I noticed that the temp guage read between 200 and 230, then all of a sudden it jumped to 260 and the light came on. While driving to work this morning, I noticed that when I was getting on the freeway that is not that far from home, it was already at 200 and I had been only driving for about 5 minutes. Is there anyone out there that could tell me what the problem is with my car? I'm afraid to drive it right now.

xeroinfinity
08-26-2005, 10:14 AM
Welcome Candyv. Sounds like u may be low on coolant. If the coolant was ran to low you may have an air pocket traped in the cooling system. Try letting it run with the over flow cap off and keep adding antifreeze till its at the full mark. GAs are good about looseing coolant. Sometimes it goes out the over flow. Do u see any thing wet around the resivior? They also blow the Intake gaskets from time to time, check the oil dip stick, do you see any brown foamy looking stuff on it , it doesnt look like oil. If so this could mean water in the oil which is not good but try the first things then check back. Hope this helps

candyv
08-26-2005, 02:28 PM
I checked the coolant again at lunch time and there was nothing in the reservior. I also decided to check the oil to see if there was any brown foamy stuff on the dip stick, nothing. Any more suggestions. Where is the coolant going to?

xeroinfinity
08-26-2005, 03:35 PM
I checked the coolant again at lunch time and there was nothing in the reservior. I also decided to check the oil to see if there was any brown foamy stuff on the dip stick, nothing. Any more suggestions. Where is the coolant going to?

You will probley have to start the car, turn the heater on heat and blast it, keep filling the reservior. The coolant has to have time to heat up and start circulating though the engines entire cooling system before the reserviors level will drop. This will take awhile, maybe up to 1 hr.

Thats great the oil looks clean. The coolant most likly is going into the exhaust and burned off forming steam. My 99' se 3.4 has blown the intake gasket 4 times. the last time I did it myself and seems to have fixed it for good. Hope this helps explain the situation.

candyv
08-29-2005, 10:40 AM
I had a mechanic look at it where I had bought the car from and he had to replace a few parts. The sensor for the fan was bad so it wasn't coming on to cool down the engine, the hose leading from the radiator to the reserve tank had a pinhole in it so that is why it was draining the coolant so fast. Now everything is working fine. My car isn't overheating and I'm not losing any coolant. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Add your comment to this topic!