Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'88 Legend L maintenance & service question

Donato88
08-19-2005, 06:07 AM
Hi, all!
I bought my '88 Legend L in July of '99. It had about 90k when I got it and it needed tires, an' I got a set of michelin (can't think of exact tire, but they cost about $400, a little more) and they're needing replaced now with 124k on them.
My muffler dropped off recently, I saved it 'cos it has two flared ends, thought maybe they don't come with 'em.
My main question is about the importance of dealer maintenance, as opposed to popular area service centers. I've been using the dealership and have had cv joints, boots, ball joints, rear stabilizer bars, driver's side window motor & regulator replaced- boy was THAT salty. Timing belt, brake pads, etc. The rust is the usual rear fender, fuel door area, trunk strip (below lid), etc. n' I'm planning to have it patched up nicely with metal an have paint "touched up" as close as possible for under a grand, and the windows are practically yellin' at me to get them tinted.
I really love this car! I've had two RX7s, '83 brown on brown, '84 metallic gray, loaded, (the basic '83 was lighter n' quicker) a couple Fiats '70 124 Sport Spider an' a '79 128 sedan. Those two were a learning experience. Fun when they ran, under-powered n' all!
I never was a good mechanic, even when I could work under a car or under a hood. The dealership has charged me between $1600. & $2000.
the 3 times I've taken it there. I know Legends aren't cheap to keep, but is the specialized training That 'model specific' that it's worth it to opt for the dealership? I'm not working after 30 years straight, (disabled, first turn-down last week.) My wife retired last November so money's an important factor. This is the best car I've ever owned!!
I know you are the people to ask 'cos you love these cars, too. This is my 1st post, forgive my long-winded writing style, it's hard to write any other way.
Thanks for any good advice you might post! Long live the Legend!!

:smokin: :lol2:

Add your comment to this topic!