Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'95 Audi 90 - Naudi90

naudi90
08-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Hello everyone, its good to finally be on the forums. Lots of knowledgable people in here. I have a bit of a problem, lemme tell ya:

I have a '95 Audi 90 Quattro. Love the car, but it doesn't come without consequences. It takes a lot to maintain, as you guys are aware. I have replaced much to get to 125K miles. I am looking at installing all new suspension for the car. Springs, struts, mounts, the whole deal.

My question(s) are for those who have braved these types of repairs on 90's. Its currently got the stock suspension, so what types of problems should I be expecting? What components are recommendable? What is a complete list of parts to order? Lowering springs make a difference in performance?

I baby my car and it is in good shape fo a '95. Might sell one day to upgrade to an 2002 S4 (dream car, when they still put the bi-turbo in). Anyone know of any good cosmetic shops in Northwest suburbs of Chicago?

Well I am here to stay on the forums, please drop a line if you have any experience to share. Thanks.

Jeremy

ctesla
08-13-2005, 03:42 PM
welcome to AF, and Jeremy,
are you mostly in town, or highway?
do the flood waters and snow drifts get deep?
125K is just break-in. if you did your timing belt, everything thing else is down hill.
if the lowering springs cost about the same as OEM, go for it.
but if they are an exuberant amount more, I'd just go with a lower profile tire. (isn't your tire size 205/60R15 now?)

even stock replacement has advanced 10 years, so you are going to get a decent ride changing it all out, even with stock components.
you have to look at your budget, your driving, and if you are in this vehicle for the long haul.
ANYTHING you do to maintain and "trick" out your vehicle will increase longevity, performance, and value (personal/not resale). I put this last part because honestly, if you are selling to a person (or keeping yourself, or passing along to friend/family) performance will increase said value, but as trade-in or as wholesale, the dealer or broker doesn't care; unless they happen to be looking at it for themselves, otherwise 200 or one thousand dollars in suspension and chassis tuning = zero.
as for a list, you have labeled most of it, and whether doing yourself, or allowing a shop to perform, may want to look into what has to come off to do the work (calipers, rotors, pads, etc.) so same labor quote, new stuff on, and same time in the shop or garage! 2 for 1 deal.

as far as brand; there again, your preference. I'm sure there is an Audi Quattro Club in the windy city, they'd know best for your area what works and not.
if you are planning on moving, a name brand that is carried nationwide, or if a shop is doing the work-pick one that is located in other states, that would be easier to warranty and/or change out and/or inspect for free.

ctesla
08-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Front Sensa Trac Cartridge
2 per car. 73976 Each $31.99

Front Strut-Mate Mounting Kit
2 per car. 901942 Each $17.49

Front Strut-Mate Boot Kit
2 per car. 63618 Kit $11.39

Rear Sensa Trac Strut
2 per car. 71275

here are some Monroe numbers (have the catalog handy)
but the rear struts didn't show on the jobber/dealer price sheet, so might be special order only.
as far as steering components and chassis, Moog is a VERY good product.

hope this helps,
chris
nrt racing

naudi90
08-14-2005, 11:07 AM
holy cow thanks alot for that information. its been hard finding parts or advice for my car. i appreciate it
jeremy

ctesla
08-18-2005, 10:49 PM
holy cow thanks alot for that information. its been hard finding parts or advice for my car. i appreciate it
jeremy

no problem jeremy,
welcome to AF.
if you need more assist, let me know
PM me or email me, as I do not always check in this forum
(my Audi runs GREAT)
love seeing a Mits or Mustang pull up, and allow them the light, then;
AWD! throw it in low and GO!
nothing like a '93 whoopin' an '03.
if you do decide to lower the car, rather than lower profile tires, I can probably get you good websites and tech info.
I let mine alone. Audi put some heavy duty research on their vehicles before shooting them out on the market...
new manufacturers should take heed.
just make sure two critical items to keep serviced on time:
timing belt and tranny.

chris
nrt racing
ctesla@sbcglobal.net

naudi90
08-19-2005, 10:49 PM
thanks for the reply chris.
i decided (after gathering as much info as I could) that I will not replace the springs, just the rest: struts, mounts, bushings, etc. Probably new front brakes, any opinion on the Power Discs? the grooves really make a difference?
I am just lucky I have some friends that are ready to get dirty and do this job with me. Saves on labor cost, plus i am developing a new fondness for my naudi 90.
thanks for your help,
jeremy

ctesla
08-20-2005, 09:04 AM
thanks for the reply chris.
i decided (after gathering as much info as I could) that I will not replace the springs, just the rest: struts, mounts, bushings, etc. Probably new front brakes, any opinion on the Power Discs? the grooves really make a difference?
I am just lucky I have some friends that are ready to get dirty and do this job with me. Saves on labor cost, plus i am developing a new fondness for my naudi 90.
thanks for your help,
jeremy

if you are a heavy pedal person; yes, slotted rotors allow less surface tensions, more surface area equates to a more rapid heat dissipation...
but, honestly, unless you are going to "show" the car or build her for track potential, the cost exceeds what you'll need for the street.
honestly, I love mine, and I can get on it during travel time from TX to Colorado, but the AWD and 4wheel disc are more than enough for that responsive little sedan, and (if I were you) I would save the money from no coils, and no slot rotors, and invest in exhaust or ignition; this is where you'll see a MAJOR improvement on fuel economy and whiplash potential.
happy motoring,
chris
nrt racing
713.933.5773 (7A-10P central)

naudi90
08-27-2005, 02:07 PM
Appreciate all the help.

I am ready to start purchasing the suspension components. I found a couple of websites that I will order from. I will probably get KYB GR2's as they will at least be better than current equipment. Now, I am little confused as to the little/associated parts I will need. You mention a boot kit and mounting kit. I will use existing springs, but exactly what else might I want to change while I am in there. Here is a kit available for my car: ('95 90 Quattro)

http://www.blauparts.com/suspension1.htm

To illustrate I would like to list all these parts:

-KYB GR2's (2 Front struts & 2 Rear Struts/Shocks) $389.95
-Replacement Mount Kit (2 improved upper strut
mounts, 2 slotted upper strut nuts) $54.95
-2 Rear upper strut mounts $42.95/ea
-2 Improved front strut boot & stop $16.95/ea
-2 Improved rear strut boot & stop $19.95/ea

Does that sound like a complete list for suspension job? I realize I will have to rent a spring compression tool. Anything else I should be aware of?
Additionally I am looking for some winter wheels. I want 16" or 17" Avus (genuine or replica) wheels in 4x108 bolt pattern with 35mm offset. Any idea (other than Audifans.com and other Audi classifieds) where I could find those?

Thanks again,
Jeremy

Add your comment to this topic!