Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

sort of beginner a question

chargerphine
08-11-2005, 05:07 PM
i need to know what type of bike would be best. im 6 feet and 2 inches tall and 180 pounds. ive ridden three diffrent bikes all 2 strokes. honda cr 250 kawasaki kx 250 and a yamaha yz 125. they all seem good and would keep up with the rest except the yamaha(125).i just need to know what bikes will last longer and will run better. feel free to tell me about other makes not included in this thread. i neeeeeeeeeeeed help????????????

viet_lude
08-11-2005, 09:20 PM
go wid a 50cc honda bike heheh:2cents:
itll suport u but unless u hav really short legs i dont think itll work
heheh

silvia15
08-11-2005, 11:11 PM
just go with a honda 250cc they have the most parts for them, i have a kawi and my spark plugs are 10 bucks each.

jamfu
08-13-2005, 07:49 AM
I you want a bike that will last a long time and stay running good get a crf 450. It weighs 5 lbs more than a cr 250. The throttle response is great, and it will holeshot a 250 everytime. Also, the 150 bucks you would have to spend every couple of months on a new top end rebuild will be gone. other than that, the maintinence is the same besides adjusting the valves, and decarbuizing the rc valve.

BNaylor
08-13-2005, 02:48 PM
I you want a bike that will last a long time and stay running good get a crf 450. It weighs 5 lbs more than a cr 250. The throttle response is great, and it will holeshot a 250 everytime. Also, the 150 bucks you would have to spend every couple of months on a new top end rebuild will be gone. other than that, the maintinence is the same besides adjusting the valves, and decarbuizing the rc valve.

The difference in weight between a Honda CRF450 (231 lbs) and CR250R (220 bs) is 11 lbs not 5 lbs.

Unless you're quotiing some magazine, a CRF450 will not get a hole shot everytime. It depends on the rider and mods. The last Supercross season proves my point and Windham with his CRF450 did rotten.

The maintenance is not the same and a two stroke is a lot easier to take care of with reduced overall maintenance costs. Further, two strokes are a lot easier to mod. I speak from experience having owned a CR250 and Yamaha YZ 426F. The first upper end rebuild on the thumper cost me $950.00. All I had to do on the CR250 after 12 months was put in a Wiseco Pro-Lite piston and rings and gaskets....grand total $120.00. The nickasil plating was still in excellent shape.

My Honda CR250 has outlived a few CRF450s out at the track. Those have been laid to rest and parted out. As you can see my bike is in excellent condition. I stiil race in the 250cc Vet class and will be purchasing a new '06 CR250R.

Just my 2 cents. :2cents:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/lizzywiz/hondacr250.jpg

bradon
09-01-2005, 12:13 PM
best bet is to get a 4 strok

BNaylor
09-01-2005, 12:28 PM
best bet is to get a 4 strok

I had a 4 stroke and got rid of it.

silvia15
09-08-2005, 10:32 PM
a you joking me :loser: , 450 will never beat 250 in holeshot, 2 strokes have way better acceleration, neeeeeeeeeewbbbbb. have you ever even road a bike. real men drive 2 strokes, thats why supercross series is called 125 and 250 class, not engines with more cc that are 4 strokes, of corse a engine thats bigger will probobly be faster, but per cc 2 strokes are faster. if you want a racing bike buy a 2 stroke if you want a trailing bike buy a 4 stroke.

Jimmiz71
09-09-2005, 03:50 PM
Silvia, get over Yourself..
I agree Two Strokes are great having owned a RM125 and 250.. but after taking my friends KTM 525 for a spin my negative feelings for 4stroke MX bikes are different..The Power is unbelievable.. its all about preference.. Plus up here in MA Trail riding with two strokes is being banned. So unless you only ride at the track the 4strokes are a nice alternative. :2cents:
-Jimmy

BNaylor
09-09-2005, 06:42 PM
Both 2 and 4 strokes have their pro and cons. Not all of us live in green states and the 2 stroke is still alive and well. However, 4 strokes do make excellent trail bikes and MX bikes with the right mods. BTW - No one races a stock CR or CRF off the showroom floor unless you like placing last.

As for an equalizer against the KTM 525 try riding a Service Honda '05 Honda CR500AF and then compare it against the KTM.

http://www.servicehonda.com/cr500af05.html

We've got one here and this guy dominates the open class. The major advantage of the Honda CR500AF over the KTM 525 is it has the suspension to match the power of the bike. I've seen a lot of KTM riders go down at the track.

supa mario
09-15-2005, 02:13 PM
4-strokes R 4 road use!!!!!!!!!! the CR 250's so much more fun than the CRF. the CRF's powerdelivery is the same from 1000 rpm to top revs and the CR starts pulling from 3000 rpm to 5000 rpm and pulls even harder from 5000 to 11000 its much more unpredictible!The crf's a thumper,but the CR's a SCREAMER!!!!!!STAY WITH 2-STROKES!!!!!

RoostRider
09-17-2005, 12:52 AM
you get that Chargerphine?.... get a 2 stroker.... no... 4 stroker.... NO...2.... WAIT.... 4..... get a screamer... THUMPER..... BAN THE 2 STROKE!!!!... THUMPERS COST A FORTUNE.... 2-strokes are light... 4 strokes have BIGGER PISTONS!!!... get a .... get.... ummmm.... where was I again?...

RoostRider
09-17-2005, 11:10 AM
My point is that this stupid bickering doesn't help anyone.... practically every thread on this forum is like this.... and no one backs up anything they have to say....

My advice is to go to a different forum... Thumper Talk.... Pinger Talk.... woodsracer.com .... those are the ones that come to mind....

I'd give you advice... but it would be lost in the quagmire..... good luck

BNaylor
09-17-2005, 11:58 AM
My point is that this stupid bickering doesn't help anyone.... practically every thread on this forum is like this.... and no one backs up anything they have to say....

My advice is to go to a different forum... Thumper Talk.... Pinger Talk.... woodsracer.com .... those are the ones that come to mind....

I'd give you advice... but it would be lost in the quagmire..... good luck

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions based on their experiences and whatever dirt bikes they have owned. What makes your advice better than anyone else? After all it is a forum where minds and opinions will differ. It's better to have both sides of the story and in the end the original poster can make his/her own decision.

RoostRider
09-19-2005, 09:30 AM
I wasnt reffering to your post Bnaylor. Yours were actually insightfull... I'm talking about people saying things like "get a Honda 250" because they have more parts for them..??!!!?? and that 2-strokes cost $150 every couple of months for a new top end??!!!?? and 450(4) beats a 250(2) in the holeshot everytime??!!!! and then someone else saying NO WAY 250(2) beats the 450(4) every time??!!!! and the clincher "4-strokes R 4 road use"??!!!! (has this guy been to the track lately???)

hows someone supposed to pick through that garbage and come up with anything useable? It's just another 4vs2 squabble.... no facts, no insightfull points, just blather... (with the notable exception of your posts Bnaylor... but the useable ones get lost in the mess)

Assuming the poster doesn't know anyone here, who is he supposed to believe... and why?

BNaylor
09-19-2005, 11:09 AM
I wasnt reffering to your post Bnaylor. Yours were actually insightfull... I'm talking about people saying things like "get a Honda 250" because they have more parts for them..??!!!?? and that 2-strokes cost $150 every couple of months for a new top end??!!!?? and 450(4) beats a 250(2) in the holeshot everytime??!!!! and then someone else saying NO WAY 250(2) beats the 450(4) every time??!!!! and the clincher "4-strokes R 4 road use"??!!!! (has this guy been to the track lately???)

hows someone supposed to pick through that garbage and come up with anything useable? It's just another 4vs2 squabble.... no facts, no insightfull points, just blather... (with the notable exception of your posts Bnaylor... but the useable ones get lost in the mess)

Assuming the poster doesn't know anyone here, who is he supposed to believe... and why?

No problem Roostrider. Everything is cool with me and I see where you are coming from. Actually, we have more in common than in opposition and share similar views/opinions. And I agree many times it's hard to sort things out. The regular car forums are just as bad. I really don't know, what can you say. :dunno:

Add your comment to this topic!