Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Smoke coming from steering column...turn signals don't work

Jay Beezy
08-04-2005, 11:48 PM
I was driving my car yesterday and I started smelling something that was burning. At first I thought it was something outside. Then, as I turned a corner, I noticed smoke coming from my steering column. It wasn't alot but it was enough where I could see it and it had me scared. I got to work and parked the car. When I turned it off, I noticed the smoke stopped. As soon as I put the pu the key back in the ignition and turned the key either to start it or backwards to accessory, the smoke would start again.
Then, I noticed that my right turn signal was kind of lit up like it was on. So, I turned it on and nothing happened. Then I turn the left signal on and nothing happened. I'm think that maybe my turn signal switch has burned out. Is that the problem or is it something else?
If that's the case, how hard is it replacing it and how much does the part cost? If it isn't, what other problem could it be that would cause my turn signals not to work?

Manny_boy
08-05-2005, 08:45 AM
Actually, the turn signal is the problem... What year is your car? GM turn signals on our cars are a prone problem area. The turn signals are slathered with what appears to be bulb grease from the factory. The smoke you are seeing is the grease finally getting hot and smoking.

Its a pretty easy fix though (well depending on what year car you have) If you don't have airbags its pretty straight forward. All you'd really need is a steering wheel puller, needlenose pliers, a torx bit for the screws that secure the turn signal switch, and your favorite set of sockets.

Once you have the steering wheel off and the switch is visible, just take out the torx screws and the entire switch will pull off of the column. separate the two halves of the switch (they pull apart - don't loose the ball bearing) You will see two sets of contacts with three copper strips each. wipe the grease off with a rag or maybe some TF tuner cleaner (local electronics store) and clean your contacts with a pencil eraser (just like the old slot cars). bend your contacts slightly inward for good contact and coat them lightly with some dielectric tune-up grease, and reassemble.

you'll be good to go. :thumbsup:

Jay Beezy
08-05-2005, 10:01 AM
My car is a '92. I'll try that this weekend, hopefully.

meuhus
08-05-2005, 12:17 PM
I was driving my car yesterday and I started smelling something that was burning. At first I thought it was something outside. Then, as I turned a corner, I noticed smoke coming from my steering column. It wasn't alot but it was enough where I could see it and it had me scared. I got to work and parked the car. When I turned it off, I noticed the smoke stopped. As soon as I put the pu the key back in the ignition and turned the key either to start it or backwards to accessory, the smoke would start again.
Then, I noticed that my right turn signal was kind of lit up like it was on. So, I turned it on and nothing happened. Then I turn the left signal on and nothing happened. I'm think that maybe my turn signal switch has burned out. Is that the problem or is it something else?
If that's the case, how hard is it replacing it and how much does the part cost? If it isn't, what other problem could it be that would cause my turn signals not to work?

i have a 91
had a puff of smoke to would come up through to colmn
changed switch
and works good now

could be switch
check for short
or a bad gound in turn signal circuit

Manny_boy
08-05-2005, 02:18 PM
My car is a '92. I'll try that this weekend, hopefully.

Ok- same as mine...then you wont have to worry about airbags or a lockplate removal tool.

Jay Beezy
08-06-2005, 02:11 AM
Now I know it's the turn signal. My right turn signal works but my left turn signal doesn't work.

crfiggins
10-06-2005, 02:36 AM
I have a 92 chevy lumina, and that has also recently happened to me...looks like a project for this weekend. :/

richtazz
10-06-2005, 12:43 PM
If you're replacing the switch and have a Haynes repair manual, they forget to tell you to remove the 8mm bolt in the junction block where the switches wires hook to the car's harness. The junction separates, and the harness slides out toward the seam. If you try to separate them without removing the bolt, you'll break the junction. Also, there is a different switch depending on if your car has the steering wheel audio controls or not. Make sure you get the right one.

Add your comment to this topic!