Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Overheating and Transmission failing

Lilith
07-18-2005, 10:31 PM
Hi

i have a '94 Civic LX, automatic transmision. i have two problems and don't know if they are related to each other.

1) overheating. water is passing from the engine to the radiator, but even when it starts boiling, the heater fan wont start. i have tested
the fan connecting it directly to the batery and it works. so the problem must be elsewhere. i don't know if that's the only problem, but my radiator already cracked from the pressure. (already bought a new one, but don't wanna install it 'till i know it wont blow too)

2) my autotatic transmission is working fine when i just start the car in the morning and the car is cold. everything works fine. actualy, the gears 1, 2 and D3 always work fine. but after a few minutes, D4 and R start loosing power. after 5 minutes driving, if i want to Reverse, the car will start slowly till it catches some momentum. after 15 minutes, my reverse is dead. it just slips as if it had no pressure at all.
with D4 it's not that bad, probably because the car doesn't start driving in 4th. but after 15 minutes driving, when the car shifts from 3rd to 4th, the motor's rpm shoot up because the gear is slipping.

also, the transmission's fluid is leaking - has this anything to do with overheating? why does the transmission work perfectly while cold but fails as the car warms up?

thanks

snowman2005
07-19-2005, 02:28 PM
ur transmision has an oil cooler that is part of or infront of ur regular radiator. if ur fan doesnt work it wont cool the oil which makes ur auto trans work shitty. as for ur fan not turnining on i belive its activated by a switch that is on or near ur thermostat housing. check link in my sig.

Lilith
07-19-2005, 06:03 PM
thanks....
it was the bulb (kind of a thermostat-switch). until i can get a new one, i have short-circuited it with a wire, so the fan runs all the time when the engine is on.

i also bought some "automatic transmision seal + improve" additive - do they work?

i'm thinking of bleeding the radiator and transmision, changing the radiator with a new one and refilling both things.... i hope i can do that with nothing else than my hannes manual :p

Add your comment to this topic!