Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission won't break free from engine?

amdoverclocker
07-10-2005, 04:22 PM
I'm replacing the clutch in my '95 1500 work truck. It's a 4x2 w/ 5-speed and 4.3L. I have all the bolts removed between the engine and bell housing. It looks like 6 bolts total on the top and sides and then two on the bottom. Now the trans. just will not come off of the engine. There is no gap whatsoever in between the engine and transmission. I've tried shaking the hell out of it and lowering it up or down more with the jack and it just is not coming apart at all. Anyone have any ideas?

Silverado Brethern
07-10-2005, 09:03 PM
you did drop the drive shaft too, right?

amdoverclocker
07-10-2005, 11:02 PM
Yes, of course. Sorry, I guess I forgot to mention that in my previous post...

broughy84
07-11-2005, 07:16 AM
did you remove the cross member mounts and the cross member and support the tail shaft with a jack? It should just slide off if you did. There should be two "pegs" the tranny sits on, I don't remember if they come off the trans and go into the motor or vise versa....hope this helps.

amdoverclocker
07-12-2005, 12:38 AM
did you remove the cross member mounts and the cross member and support the tail shaft with a jack? It should just slide off if you did. There should be two "pegs" the tranny sits on, I don't remember if they come off the trans and go into the motor or vise versa....hope this helps.

Yes, the transmission is on a jack and the crossmember is gone. All of the bolts are off of the engine. I see the pegs that you're talking about. I'm wondering if those are rusted and siezed on there or something. Today we even tried pulling on the trans. with a come-along and it still wouldn't budge. There's no bolts holding it on there.

broughy84
07-12-2005, 12:11 PM
hmmmmmmmmmm........

broughy84
07-12-2005, 12:19 PM
I am supposing all the linkage from the shift lever has been disconnected too. I would try to pry against the bell housing with a nice hefty screw driver....if all else fails get one of these.
http://www.discountoutlet.ca/discount/tools/hammer/hammer_4.jpg
or one of these
http://www.chardonfire.com/DCP04881.jpg

And like my Grandpa always told me....If all else fails, get a bigger hammer!

Good luck seriously. I don't know what else to say to help.

Kevcules
07-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Heh
I have never changed a manual tranny but I'm pretty sure you still have to separate the "engine flywheel" from the tranny with 3 bolts. You take those off yet?

Kevcules
07-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Did you get the tranny off??

goinbig
07-15-2005, 11:29 PM
will it move seperatly from the engine at all? Or is it real solid on there?

If EVERYTHING is unhooked, break out the BFH!

Also make sure the bolts at the very top are out...they can sometimes be really hard to get to.

robertjr
07-17-2005, 05:18 PM
Not sure If this is to late or not but If you got your tranny out great if not this is how I got my out. First if you don't have one you really need to get one and that is a tranny jack second be sure to drop the cross member then place and secure your tranny to the jack then remove the drive line and then the shifter and then it helps to use another floor jack or bottle if that what you have to support the engine it self under the oil pan when doing this be careful and use a piece of wood to distribute the pressure evenly so that you don't damage the pan next unbolt the tranny from the bell housing leaving the bell housing secured to the engine when doing this you will have to lower engine and tranny together slightly and pull toward rear, try to keep everything inline even while angled down because it will bind and you'll never get the tranny out. after you get the tranny out you can then remove the bell housing and get to the clutch. oh one more thing when your installing the new clutch be sure to use an alinement tool and you should be able to slide the tool in and out with no retriction at all if you have any the tranny won't go back in. hope that this helps, I wrestled with my tranny for a week straight until I finally figured it all out!

jveik
07-20-2005, 06:27 PM
well, i am restoring a 73 chevy truck with an automatic and some 350 from a 91 pickup or something in it. i had the whole front clip off the truck so all i had to do was unmount the engine and have it in a engine hoist then me and a big fat buddy of mine pushed at the count of 3 and yanked the whole thing, engine and trans, out from the driveshaft. then we had to use a hammer to break the rust free from where the bell housing meets the back of the block. then we just did another 3 counter and the mofo popped right off. make sure all the fluid is out of the trans first tho lol. we were too lazy to drain it first and we just let it pour after the driveshaft was pulled. needless to say, the driveway was oddly slippery when we were done lol

nosefirst
07-20-2005, 08:11 PM
I'm replacing the clutch in my '95 1500 work truck. It's a 4x2 w/ 5-speed and 4.3L. I have all the bolts removed between the engine and bell housing. It looks like 6 bolts total on the top and sides and then two on the bottom. Now the trans. just will not come off of the engine. There is no gap whatsoever in between the engine and transmission. I've tried shaking the hell out of it and lowering it up or down more with the jack and it just is not coming apart at all. Anyone have any ideas?

First you have to get very mad!!!Then get underneath it like your going to bench press it and go crazy. Works good for putting it back in too.

nosefirst
07-20-2005, 08:15 PM
First you have to get very mad!!!Then get underneath it like your going to bench press it and go crazy. Works good for putting it back in too.

Oh yeah, while your in there be sure to replace everything, even if you don't think it needs to be!! Even the studs in the housing for the fulcrum.

clutch492
08-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Here is the problem that I see with your post. You have not been very descriptive. Well, I will try to fill you in on what it could be.

If the clutch would not release.......the pilot bushing (or bearing) is probably seized to the input shaft, thus preventing the removal of the transmission. Get a slide hammer and attach to the transmission case (in a strong spot) and get it out. I think you will find that the pilot bearing will come out with the input shaft.

OR

If the truck quit moving completely, then I would guess that the splines are wiped out on the input shaft. In this case, put the transmission in gear, any gear, and have someone turn the output shaft while you try to pull the trans. out. You will feel the teeth line up and the trans should come out.

With ASE mechanics, the question would have been "what was it doing when it failed?" If you could fill me in on that, I could be of more help.

Good Luck.

brainbrake
09-03-2018, 11:18 AM
I have a :crying:1983 Chevrolet S-10 pickup with the 2.8L V6 with 5-speed transmission, I stopped at a stop light and there was a huge explosion underneath the truck, then I could not shift. The garage quoted $700 to fix it, and since I did not have the money I started trying to fix it myself. I took off everything under the truck that needed to come off. I bought a 1/2 inch socket drive 3 foot long so I could get it passed the transmission and used a pipe on the end of my ratchet to break loose the bell housing bolts, which it did and I removed them. I then began the process to remove the bell housing and transmission, I have done just about everything I know to do, but the unit will not come off. I can shake it all around, and it has come off 1/4 inch, but that is it. Something drastic has happened in this mechanism, and I think has jammed it up to the point that it can not be pulled off. Drastic takes drastic measures, so I am thinking maybe I need to cut away the bell housing with a torch, so I can see what has happened and remedy the problem. Here is a question: If I unbolt the transmission from the bell housing can I then remove the bell housing? Any help for a drowning amateur?!

maxwedge
09-03-2018, 12:57 PM
Why are you removing the bell housing? Remove the trans to bell housing bolts, if it won't come, try and pry it out side to side, we can assume the shaft is out, mount disconnected?

Add your comment to this topic!