Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

stock 98 dx vs 2000 ex?

b16Civic
06-27-2005, 10:36 PM
Hey guys Im about to put the money i saved for my rims on a race against another guy so before i do that i need some imput please, cars are both stick shift coupes.

Alright I have 98 Civic DX with:$120 dollar exhaust just the can, polished head.
I weigh 110 pounds

Friend has completely 2000 civic ex with:v-tec engine and its all stock
He weighs about 160 pounds and has a sunrooff (if it matters)

what do you guys think? we will race from a stop to 1/4 mile or less, do you think I have a chance? and if i do ,but very slightly how can i improve?weight reduc? skip a gear? Im really good at launching and him i dont think. vlet me knoe he is just waiting for me to say lets go. thanks let me know!

viet_lude
06-27-2005, 10:50 PM
um dude i think ur best bet to winning is just shifting better than him ... nothin much to it

KrNxRaCer00
06-28-2005, 03:22 AM
Hey guys Im about to put the money i saved for my rims on a race against another guy so before i do that i need some imput please, cars are both stick shift coupes.

Alright I have 98 Civic DX with:$120 dollar exhaust just the can, polished head.
I weigh 110 pounds

Friend has completely 2000 civic ex with:v-tec engine and its all stock
He weighs about 160 pounds and has a sunrooff (if it matters)

what do you guys think? we will race from a stop to 1/4 mile or less, do you think I have a chance? and if i do ,but very slightly how can i improve?weight reduc? skip a gear? Im really good at launching and him i dont think. vlet me knoe he is just waiting for me to say lets go. thanks let me know!

1st, it's a drivers race...the dx can beat it and vice-versa...all driver.

2nd, weight reduction will help a bit, but just remember it takes about 100 lbs of weight loss to shave a tenth of a second in the 1/4 mile.

3rd, if you skip a gear...why would you? you'd slow WAY down that way (com'n man...if you've driven a car before then you should know this.)

please, since it sounds like you're pretty new at this...be safe...

zerocrxsi
06-28-2005, 10:46 AM
sounds like you dont have much experience id say get yourself sum rims n then race him that way if you loose at least you look good doing it :naughty:

Gohan Ryu
06-28-2005, 03:09 PM
2000 Civic EX = 127hp 2500lbs
1998 Civic DX = 106 hp 2300 lbs

You've got a 200lb weight advantage, that's not enough to make up for his 20hp advantage. Unless you actually do have a "polished head". But why would you go thru the hassle of having your head polished but leave everything else stock?

I think he'll win

- especially if you skip a gear :lol2:

Ace$nyper
06-28-2005, 04:02 PM
I think your about to stay on steelies for a while

MexSiR
06-28-2005, 05:31 PM
Umm...

Common man, you wanna race for your rims money and you think skipping a gear will make you faster?

A smart, honest and trustworthy suggestion:

1)DO NOT RACE
2)LEARN HOW TO DRIVE
3)DO NOT BET until suggestion number 2 is completed

zerocrxsi
06-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Umm...

Common man, you wanna race for your rims money and you think skipping a gear will make you faster?

A smart, honest and trustworthy suggestion:

1)DO NOT RACE
2)LEARN HOW TO DRIVE
3)DO NOT BET until suggestion number 2 is completed

:iagree:

exman98
06-28-2005, 11:12 PM
you might have him for the first 5 seconds but then he will start to pull.

you will likely get beat.

V T E C H
06-29-2005, 02:12 PM
yeah, if you are not 100% sure you will win why would you bet all of the money you saved for rims? If i was you i would buy the rims, practice driving, and when you feel that you are completly ready, race him.

Rampart Crawler
06-29-2005, 08:04 PM
To be honest with you, the ex vs. dx means little.

My friend has a '95 ex 5spd with a SRI and i have a '99 stock auto dx.
He got his car from a junk yard with a salvaged title and it was fixed by his father. The engine is fine. Since I bought my car used from new car dealer and he got his like the rest of his families cars, at the junkyard(as stated) for $100, he alway puts the fact that he has an ex over me. He once asked for my dx badging so he could make a sleeper. He also always says "wait, do you have vtec, like mine?", as if he forgets. When it came down to it, he tried to lose me on the side roads and once on the highway, and I was right on his rear bumper. He tried to make up excuses, but he was going at it. You can tell with the ricer intake if he is WOT.

His car feels snapier because it is a stick, and he keeps it at 6k rpm and blips the gas to push me a little back every time I ride with him, instead of shifting to a higher gear. Since mine is an auto, it doesn't feel as fast while driving normally, and he'll comment saying, "oh, maybe it doesn't have as much torque as mine"

At that point, I make sure I am at around 35mph and put it from D to 2 and goose it like a moron just to piss him off.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

And if you think you are a better driver, then go for it. Strip the interior and make your own home made intake. Might help a bit. Can't hurt. It really is a drivers race with the sohc vtec and non vtec. The vtec can pull on the non if it has the better driver, but you really can't tell the difference as you can in a twin cam vtec.

EDIT: Also, if you are both equal racers, he still probably pull much until 3rd. From everyone I talk to, it's the intake Mani that makes up most of the difference, at higher speeds.

I would like to get a Y8 in mine, but don't wan't to go through the trouble.

jcrx
06-30-2005, 01:00 PM
SOHC vtec vs SOHC non vtec = will my slow car beat this other slow car...who cares.

diegoaccord
06-30-2005, 02:03 PM
Can't really say that....

D16Z6 in a stripped CX hatch.....no mods low 15's.

That's not fast, but still, noone expects it from a SOHC.

As far as this race, depends on bodystyle, if both a coupes, the EX will take it.

(even if if is lighter, DX:

21 less HP
longer gears

If the DX had a EX tranny, then it'd be a driver's race, but speaking from expreience, having an S80 tranny on my B16....long gears HURT.

jcrx
06-30-2005, 02:47 PM
15 second races are boring as hell unless you're the driver (and even then, they are more dissapointing), wow, it's like watching two dorks rev on each other and then launch at a stop light and go no where. Sorry dude, I don't care what it is, it's just not nad pumping excitement, and if it has to be done, should be done on a track.

viet_lude
07-04-2005, 03:41 AM
did yah race yet ... or sum one chiken out ......

b16Civic
07-05-2005, 04:30 PM
so you guys think i dont have a chance? now dont get me classified as a bad driver cuz im not, i just never owned a civic, but i can prolly take anyone out driving an equally fast car. as i was saying do i have a little chance? dont know if you guys read but he weighs about 160 and i only 110lbs plus no spare tire, he prolly doesnt know of the spare trick(not that significant anyway) and he says he races, but i doubt him. Also like i wrote i got an exhaust and im thinking of putting a kandn filter right on top of the throttle body without the arm instead of the air filter stock system, think that will help? im planing to put at least $500 on the line so its not gas money.

XixGenuinexiX
07-05-2005, 06:16 PM
Are you serious, lets be rationale here your about to gamble away $500 dollars when you aren't even sure you can win.. Doesn't seem to smart to me. How about you save that $500 dollars towards actually making your car fast? By the way shameless pitch i'm seeling a turbo Manifold/Downpipe/dumptube for your car :D. LOL.. but if you do go through w/ the race. good luck.

b16Civic
07-05-2005, 06:20 PM
thats why i wan to make sure first i have a chance cuz if i dont then im not going to put down all that money cuz!

jcrx
07-06-2005, 05:58 PM
I have to look into it some more, but I am pretty sure this is the most retarded thread on the internet at the moment.

b16Civic
07-12-2005, 03:12 PM
so c'mmon guys help me out? what can i do to beat this guys and dont say" get a faster car or shit like that. i just need an edge.

jcrx
07-12-2005, 03:31 PM
You want an edge? Get a faster car, that's how you beat someone, by having a faster car than they do.

Ace$nyper
07-12-2005, 03:50 PM
You want an edge? Get a faster car, that's how you beat someone, by having a faster car than they do.
oh w3rd ? and here I go getting stickers and shit.

jcrx
07-12-2005, 04:09 PM
Really depends though. I mean it is m4D tyt3 jDm, than yea, you'll totaly smoke em, but those whach ass LanDsp33d stickers are whack.

KinkBykr
07-14-2005, 10:09 AM
just buy the wheels, don't risk racing! would you want to get fined or be in jail for a day or two over a race between two economy cars? just keep it safe, and as for having an edge, strip everything you can without being too destructive (spare, jack, etc.)

Add your comment to this topic!