Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 Lumina - how to check codes?

JustAGirl34
06-24-2005, 11:27 AM
any way to check codes on a 91 lumina 3.1 ?

car wont start, has fuel but wont fire. coil pack and module changed. not sure where to go next.

any help appreciated.

mattsdominion
06-24-2005, 11:35 AM
any way to check codes on a 91 lumina 3.1 ?

car wont start, has fuel but wont fire. coil pack and module changed. not sure where to go next.

any help appreciated.

Use a piece of wire, or a jumper.

Take the car key, and put the car in the "on" position, but don't start it.

Use the wire, or jumper to short out the diagnostic plug... which is under the dash, on the right side. The two pins you have to short, are the top right, and the one immediately next to the top right.

|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|X|X|
-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

Those two.

a code 12, which is two one flash, pause, two flashes... indicates you have it in diagnostic mode. You will hear the cooling fans on your radiator kick on.

The service engine light will blink.

It'll flash once, pause, and then twice... to indicate "12" between 2 and 4 times, and then start spitting out other codes. Write down everything that comes out.

I have the correct diagnostic charts, but i'm at work so i can't post the codes. If you list your codes, i'll tell you what they are tonight.

JustAGirl34
06-24-2005, 02:36 PM
thank you so much for replying. I am at work also, so won't be able to try this until tomorrow, but will post the codes here as soon as I have them.

thanks again :)

mattsdominion
06-24-2005, 04:07 PM
Us lumina owners need to stick together. They are good, reliable cars.

JustAGirl34
06-25-2005, 11:47 AM
ok, dont meant to sound stupid, cant be helped though! there is nobody around to help me this morning as I thought. I do not know what a jumper is, so I'm wondering what sort of wire I need to use? a covered wire? or just a piece of metal? thanks

Manny_boy
06-25-2005, 01:02 PM
a paper clip will do just fine - in fact I keep one in my center console just for that purpose.

-and since you already tested for fuel and you changed your ignition module and coilpacks, that leads me to think maybe your crankshaft position sensor is bad.

JustAGirl34
06-25-2005, 01:30 PM
ok, tried this. the cooling fan came on as stated above, but the check engine light did not come on. it did not come on at all when they key was turned on, so not sure the light actually works..... any suggestions?

Manny_boy
06-25-2005, 08:17 PM
Ok, when you turn the key on "without" the jumper wire, does the check engine light come on momentarily? If not, the bulb may be out, and needs to be changed in order to read the codes with the paper clip trick. without the check engine light, the only other way to have it checked is someone with a scan tool could pull the codes for you. autozone does it for free, but the car would have to be at the store.

mickeym
06-27-2005, 10:27 AM
Will the procedure above (checking codes) also work for a 1993 chevy lumina apv 3.1L as well?

Manny_boy
06-28-2005, 12:36 PM
Will the procedure above (checking codes) also work for a 1993 chevy lumina apv 3.1L as well?

Yep...

JustAGirl34
07-27-2005, 05:01 PM
Hi!

Car starts now and runs but won't idle.

Have changed (some new, some from parts car) the following...

spark plugs, coil pack and ignition module, idle air control valve, air filter, fuel filter, fuel pump relay switch, crank sensor.

any suggestions?

thanks!

(check engine light burned out so can't run codes)

decollect
07-28-2005, 08:00 AM
Hi!

Car starts now and runs but won't idle.
Have changed (some new, some from parts car) the following...
spark plugs, coil pack and ignition module, idle air control valve, air filter, fuel filter, fuel pump relay switch, crank sensor.
any suggestions?
thanks!
(check engine light burned out so can't run codes)

yes. On some models ( I think Jeffcoslacker might know this better than I) the idle has to be re-learned. Yours might be one of them. Let me scan thru the earlier posts to see if I can pick the thread up for you.

decollect
07-28-2005, 08:26 AM
JustAGirl, here's what I found on an earlier post about "re-learning idle". It's just a copy and paste:
"You really simply have to relearn the idle. The computer remembers the proper IAC setting for idle. If battery power is lost, so is the setting. The surging is the computer searching for the proper setting.
Disconnect the battery, then run vehicle in gear for at least 10 min.
An easier way is to take it to your dealer and have them do it with a scan tool. Only have to let it get to running temp. so shouldn't cost much."

Hope it helps.

decollect
07-28-2005, 08:27 AM
I realize that your battery may have not been disconnected, but with all the repairs you've been doing, it IS possible that your ECM "forgot" the idle setting. However, I must admit that there are wiser persons than I on the forum so I may be mistaken.

JustAGirl34
07-28-2005, 10:14 AM
Thanks for all the replies!

I will disconnect the battery and drive it a bit and see if that helps before I take it to a dealer or anything. Thanks again!

chris13174
12-22-2005, 11:12 AM
Amazingly enough, I have had the same exact problem on my 93 lumina and I have tried everything under the sun to fix it. Replaced coil packs, ignition control module, Idle Air Control, MAP sensor, crankshaft position sensor, and have did the idle relearn thing and still the car does not idle clean. My lumina is the 93 3.1L Vin T Engine. I moved onto checking the vacum hoses and did find several vacum leaks but I have now fixed them. According to the chilton books I have on the car, the 3.1 is very sensitive to vacum leaks and repairing the leaks on mine did clean up the idle substantially for a few days, it is now back to the same rough idle and stalling that it originally started doing. What might be the problem here? Would it be worth $24.95 to pay AllData.com in order to see if maybe they have something listed on this problem which seems to be overwhelmingly common amoung these cars?

Lolamonster
12-01-2020, 03:00 PM
I have a 1991 Chevy Lumina Apv.
8th letter/number of Vin is a D.
I got a CODE:15 from the OBD1

Could you please tell me what it means?
Thank you

Stealthee
12-01-2020, 03:42 PM
15 Coolant Temperature Sensor (Low Temp Indicated)

Schurkey
12-02-2020, 03:28 AM
I have a 1991 Chevy Lumina Apv.
8th letter/number of Vin is a D.
I got a CODE:15 from the OBD1

Could you please tell me what it means?
Thank you
https://repairpal.com/gm-obd-code-15

You need to TEST the system before replacing parts. This could just as easily be a wire-harness problem as a sensor problem; or even a failed computer.

Add your comment to this topic!