Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

HELP!!! How do I change O2 sensor?

TrackSmart2
06-21-2005, 01:43 PM
Hey Guys,

1) Has anyone changed an O2 sensor on their car themselves? Are the sensors easily accessible? Was the wire easy to run to it's plug?

2) Which code corresponds to which sensor?

THANKS!!! Mechanic wants to RAPE me and charge almos $400 to change a single sensor!!! I found the sensors online for only $120 and if I could do it myself I'd save a bundle!

msellers
06-22-2005, 01:18 PM
Get a generic oxygen sensor from oxygensensor.com. They come in 3 and 4 wire configurations. The kit comes with the sensor and the splicing supplies to connect to the existing harness. Rather than trying to disconect the wiring merely cut the wires and and splice in the new sensor. The sensors merely unscrew from the exhaust pipe. There are oxygen sensors in front of the catalytic convertor and after the catalytic convertor. I believe the oxygensensor.com web site will show you the locations. A Mazda Millenia s has 4 o2 sensors. This should take you 1/2 hour and cost app[roximately $60. Make sure yo know which sensor needs to be replaced. This can be done using a OBDII code reader.

TrackSmart2
06-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Thanks! I appreciate the advice. So this should be an easy DIY job then. I can go to autozone or similar chain and get the OBD codes pulled. Buy generic sensor.

The only part I am less familiar with is the splicing.

TrackSmart2
06-22-2005, 08:38 PM
I'm guessing that with the kit it will be very obvious how this is done. As in, it will be obvious which wire needs to be attached to which?

Thanks again! I wasn't sure if this forum was still alive!

Add your comment to this topic!