Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

GT vs. GTS

2002Drew
06-20-2005, 12:45 AM
I'm sure this gets asked a thousand times, but my gf wants an eclipse, and i was wondering what the differences are between the GT and GTS.

eclipsed4utoo
06-20-2005, 07:19 AM
10hp and about $3000.

the GTS has a better intake manifold than the GT which gives it the 10 extra HP. it also has different wheels(same wheels just different color).

cficare68
06-20-2005, 07:35 AM
Yep thats about it. Well and of course the additional letter on the back of the car

2002EclipseRS
06-20-2005, 10:55 AM
hey, eclipsed4utoo, Were you in Myrtle Beach last week? I was there and I swear i saw your car. Same red color, same wheels, clear corners. Just wondering if it was you.

eclipsed4utoo
06-20-2005, 11:51 AM
hey, eclipsed4utoo, Were you in Myrtle Beach last week? I was there and I swear i saw your car. Same red color, same wheels, clear corners. Just wondering if it was you.

i was there on Sunday the 12th. me and my g/f

Black Knight 00
06-20-2005, 12:32 PM
and you cant get gts without leather

evil6remlin
06-20-2005, 12:47 PM
The GTS also has a higher compression ratio than the GT. GTS 10:1 GT 9:1. So if you have any plans down the road for FI short of a full rebuild, I would go with the GT as its more capable of handling boost on stock internals. And if you get the GT you can always swap over the GTS plenum if you find one ( then you have the best of both worlds).

eclipsed4utoo
06-20-2005, 12:55 PM
i dont know how i forgot about the higher compression since weve been talking about it over at club3g

drewh4386
06-21-2005, 03:03 AM
one last thing..............4 wheel disc brakes for the gts.

eclipsed4utoo
06-21-2005, 07:45 AM
one last thing..............4 wheel disc brakes for the gts.

the GT has that also

evil6remlin
06-21-2005, 07:57 AM
Also if you are willing to buy and find a 2000 GT with low enough miles for you, you can find one that has Fed Spec emissions equipment. This means that there is only one main cat instead of the later models which have one main cat and two precats. I believe I read somewhere that the Fed spec GT's dynoed even higher than the new GTS's due to having less restriction in the exhaust flow. Also, 2000 GT's have dual piston brake calipers up front instead of the single piston calipers the later years received.

eclipsed4utoo
06-21-2005, 08:16 AM
I believe I read somewhere that the Fed spec GT's dynoed even higher than the new GTS's due to having less restriction in the exhaust flow. Also, 2000 GT's have dual piston brake calipers up front instead of the single piston calipers the later years received.

yup

Sleepr awd
06-21-2005, 10:38 AM
the GTS is a GT w/ all the options 6-disc cd changer, alloy fuel door, leather, etc. and it has the extra hp and higher compression, but my car has an intake and it was faster than some other guy's GTS so its nothing an intake can't overcome

and i'd go w/ a 2000 GT fed spec and do a front kit swap so you can have the better looking front end

nailzer
06-21-2005, 04:36 PM
the GT has a 9:1 compression ratio and the GTS has a 10:1 compression ratio, which makes the GT better for super/turbo charging.

Sleepr awd
06-21-2005, 11:54 PM
...yes, thank you nailzer for your contribution...

drewh4386
06-21-2005, 11:55 PM
the GT has that also
or was it anti lock brakes..?

Sleepr awd
06-21-2005, 11:57 PM
it would have been anti-lock brakes because my car (as i learned the hard way) does not have the anti-lock brakes i guess that is also considered one of the "options" on a GT thatcome standard on a GTS

drewh4386
06-22-2005, 12:38 AM
I dunno. I read somewhere the antilock on came on gts?

eclipsed4utoo
06-22-2005, 07:25 AM
yes it comes standard on the GTS but i do not think its an option on the GT(or thats what the dealer told me when i got my first GT). GTS also has power seats.(i cant remember if thats been mentioned)

Khemin
07-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Will any 3G GTS plenum fit a 2000 Eclipse GT? Or might a particular year GTS plenum be optimal? Thanx!

eclipsed4utoo
07-03-2005, 03:33 PM
Will any 3G GTS plenum fit a 2000 Eclipse GT? Or might a particular year GTS plenum be optimal? Thanx!

yes. the GTS started production in '03. so any '03+ GTS plenum will fit on a GT.

the '02 GT Spyders also have the GTS engine

Khemin
07-06-2005, 12:49 PM
yes. the GTS started production in '03. so any '03+ GTS plenum will fit on a GT.

the '02 GT Spyders also have the GTS engine

Hmmm... next question then is: Where can one find a GTS plenum w/o having to go to the dealer (they want over $900 for one!)? I've tried all the junkyards and "auto recyclers" that there are and, even after they did a nationwide database search... nothing. Any aftermarket GTS plenums or possible other sources for them? Thanx in advance!

eclipsed4utoo
07-06-2005, 01:56 PM
go to www.club3g.com and go to the forsale section. you have to remember, you need other parts along with the intake manifold. it isnt a straight bolt on. you have to make modifications to the wiring and hoses

Khemin
07-06-2005, 02:11 PM
go to www.club3g.com and go to the forsale section. you have to remember, you need other parts along with the intake manifold. it isnt a straight bolt on. you have to make modifications to the wiring and hoses

Sounds like I'm talking to the right guy, then. It had been my impression that it was a pretty straight-forward swap. Please help me (and us all) understand what needs to be done to accomplish this plenum swap.

Also, in trying to locate a GTS plenum for my '00 GT, it would really help if I knew which exact p/n to ask for. I believe (after calling around) that the p/n is: MR561656. Is this correct?

Thanx so much in advance!

Khemin
07-06-2005, 03:16 PM
Sounds like I'm talking to the right guy, then. It had been my impression that it was a pretty straight-forward swap. Please help me (and us all) understand what needs to be done to accomplish this plenum swap.

Also, in trying to locate a GTS plenum for my '00 GT, it would really help if I knew which exact p/n to ask for. I believe (after calling around) that the p/n is: MR561656. Is this correct?

Thanx so much in advance!

I may have helped answer my own question through further research (please let me know!). Here's apparently a great thread w/ pics that details how to swap the GT with the GTS plenum: http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=531 .

Might anyone have additional details to add?

eclipsed4utoo
07-06-2005, 04:25 PM
I may have helped answer my own question through further research (please let me know!). Here's apparently a great thread w/ pics that details how to swap the GT with the GTS plenum: http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=531 .

Might anyone have additional details to add?

damn!!! you searched!!! im impressed. i have nothing else to add. i will look for the part number though.

i couldnt find the part number....but i did find somebody who was selling one on 6-29. you can see if she still has it available. PM her....
http://www.club3g.com/forum/member.php?userid=2261

Khemin
07-06-2005, 05:33 PM
damn!!! you searched!!! im impressed. i have nothing else to add. i will look for the part number though.

i couldnt find the part number....but i did find somebody who was selling one on 6-29. you can see if she still has it available. PM her....
http://www.club3g.com/forum/member.php?userid=2261

How 'bout that? There are those of us who don't need to be pablum fed 24/7. hehehe.

Thanx for the advice re: the one for possible sale. I pm'd her and hope to hear back soon.

Khemin
07-07-2005, 11:45 AM
Hey eclipsed4utoo! I haven't had time to research this and hope you might be online now and able to answer quickly. I have a handle on a Diamante VRX plenum (supposedly better than the GTS plenum) w/ option to also buy the VRX throttle body. Would you recommend buying the throttle body, too? Or is the stock GT throttle body the same in performance? THANX!

eclipsed4utoo
07-07-2005, 02:48 PM
i would say get the throttle body. i think its larger(i cant remember)

porschemech1
07-13-2005, 09:14 PM
I'm sure this gets asked a thousand times, but my gf wants an eclipse, and i was wondering what the differences are between the GT and GTS.

My 2003 gts only takes high test gas or it pings.This pisses me off! Why only give me a rev limiter of 6500 rpm if its a high comp. engine thats bullshit. I bought this car for my ex because she wanted it .When I bought it at auction it was 6 months old. The throwout bearing was noisy and the dealer tryed to denie it. Alla class action lawsuit fuckers fixed it after third complaint and a aplication for lawsuit. At the time I thought it was a good deal 15,300 at auction. Well I hate this car and if I had to chose between a WRX, a Evo or a old porsche I would go w, the old porsche. I will never buy another fukin Mtushubishi product again! even if its a TV. The fit finish and over all quality of this product sucked not to mention customer service is fuck you. Well guess Wat Ceo's of this company are in jail for a reason. They try to hide quality isues w/ their trucks and it caused deaths. So what comes around goes around. I wish this company death. Thats my two cents for wat ever its worth. I'm takin this car back to the auction this week as I have had it advertised for sale since the day I bought it for below wholesale and no bites.... Hmmm must be a reason huh.

cficare68
07-13-2005, 10:21 PM
BOO HOO. Lets all cry a river for you. Just because you bought a lemon does not mean that you have to come in here bitching at all of us. You bought it at an auction. Did you expect to get the pick of the litter from an auction.

eclipsed4utoo
07-14-2005, 07:55 AM
BOO HOO. Lets all cry a river for you. Just because you bought a lemon does not mean that you have to come in here bitching at all of us. You bought it at an auction. Did you expect to get the pick of the litter from an auction.

agreed. my car is great most of the time. i do like the idea of mitsu going down the drain. if mitsu folds, then we will have classic cars. then the resale value should go up instead of dropping so fast :lol:

cficare68
07-14-2005, 08:34 AM
I love mine. Only thing I have had to do to it is replace the upper radiator hose. Hell of alot more reliable that my grand am was, and even at that I don't go to the Pontiac forum talking shit about grand ams. He needs to take his pitty party to deadeclipse.com and whin to someone who actually gives a shit

Midwestlove
12-01-2014, 07:11 AM
I guess it all really matters who can shift better because I bet a GTS in my GT off start to 80mph then we started at 80mph and he hit about 140 and started to slow down and I kept going and hit about 147 before I started to slow down. So GT wins in this story!

Add your comment to this topic!