Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

A/C Stalls!!

1996GMCJimmy
06-13-2005, 04:52 PM
Every once in a while, when I turn on my AC and while it runs, it all of the sudden stops...and then goes on again. I mean, it seems af if you had just turned it off for a couple seconds and then it come on again!? It does not happen all the time, but it is one of those things that just doesn't seem right for it to happen.

Could it be some king of electrical problem? Does it mean its running of of 134a? Can I be fixed?

Thanks for you input!

JimmySLS
06-13-2005, 05:01 PM
Does it do it on all settings like when you have your vents on or defrost or is it only when you have the air on?Does your air blow cold?

1996GMCJimmy
06-13-2005, 05:14 PM
I have not ran the defrost to notice it, and yes, the air does run pretty cold.

JimmySLS
06-13-2005, 05:37 PM
I would put it on defrost and other settings to see if it stalls out....

1996GMCJimmy
09-28-2005, 01:26 PM
So, I've noticed that my truck's A/C and heater, both continue to stall for a second, and then continue to work fine at full blast. It's kinda as if it has a hiccup or something. The AC runs cold, the heater hot too!

I dont understand what could be wrong with it. Could it be a relay?

Please help!!

I would put it on defrost and other settings to see if it stalls out....

1996GMCJimmy
09-28-2005, 01:27 PM
It stalls under all settings.

ChrisGood
09-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Sounds electrical to me, more than likely a short, if you are just talking about the fan/blower stopping. The AC compressor is powered by the engine so unless your engine stops or the clutch in it is messed up, it wont stop.

The fan speed is based on the control in the dash, each position just connects a different set of points and makes the fan turn faster, if it is only happening when it is in that speed it may be the control unit, if it happens in all speeds you may have a short anywhere in the system.

1996GMCJimmy
09-28-2005, 02:04 PM
It stops in all speeds. I guess I have a short to find then. Any suggestions as to where I can start looking?

ChrisGood
09-28-2005, 02:18 PM
I would pull the control unit and make sure its connections are all tight and that the slider or knob contact points are clean, I used to even put dialectric grease on mine to make the old slider type move better, plus also helps connection i am sure. No science behind it, but just seems right.

Next would be to check the connections at the fan, then finally all that is left is the wire in between.

More than likely if you have pulled the dash recently for a radio or something, it is a loose connection to the HVAC control

1996GMCJimmy
09-28-2005, 03:17 PM
Thnaks, I'll follow your advice andcheck the Contro Unit connections first and let you know! I appreciate your help.

Add your comment to this topic!