Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

do you think permanent damage was done?

aeroheli
06-05-2005, 10:19 PM
So, I let my brother drive my civic to the city and well 30 minutes later I get a call on my cell from him saying that the car is vibrating like crazy and making strange noises.

He popped the hood and it was real hot.. He had been driving pretty hard on the free way so I told him to head back home on the slower roads and take it easy.

When he got back and we went for a test drive I noticed he was driving in D3 (automatic transmission) instead of D4. Proberly hitting 140km/hr.

I'm thinking since the transmission didn't shift up and was at a high RPM that it could have been over heating the engine and causing it to seize.

The vibration was awful at low speed and the engine sounded really bad at low speeds.

Any ideas on whether there was permenent damage, or will it be ok after it cools down over the night?

E Honda
06-05-2005, 10:45 PM
Driving it in D3 even on the highway for 2 hours straight would not cause an overheating of the engine.

aeroheli
06-07-2005, 08:09 PM
Drove it for 3 hours on d4 on a hot on the highway. no problems whatsoever. Never had the problem again since I stopped using D3

meberra
06-14-2005, 04:04 AM
Hey I've never driven in anything but D4 and i've never had a problem. only time i drove in D3 was when i as at the track for the first time.

Add your comment to this topic!