Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Front Brakes 6000 miles

co791
05-22-2005, 05:24 PM
My 2004 sedona appears to need front brakes at 6000 miles, does anyone know if this would be covered under warranty? 6000 miles is way too soon for brakes...dont you think?

fastkia
05-22-2005, 09:53 PM
it may not need brakes but if it does they are covred for 12 months or 12,000 miles which ever comes first (in U.S.A.) not sure in other countries

co791
05-22-2005, 10:08 PM
thanks for the reply. Ill post the results tommorrow.

co791
05-28-2005, 08:22 AM
Ok the service writer at Stephen's Kia in Patchogue NY claimed that the brake pads were cracked. They replaced the pads and the rotors under warranty, handed me the reciept and couldnt wait for me to leave.

So I ask how does this happen to a brand new car/minivan?
She replies" oh its probably from sitting".
I then stated that the van does not "sit" my wife and I use it every day!
She replies "maybe from before you bought it, I dont know".

Real professional..........NOT

fastkia
05-29-2005, 11:19 PM
This makes no sense to me I really think you should go back just for the hell of it and ask to see the old pads. "I really think the dealer or tech scammed a brake job" which kia paid for obiusly. Don't let them tell you that they went back to kia cuase this parts sit in a bin for quite some time before kia asks for them for inspection (if they ask for them)

neways if they are cracked let me know I am very impatient to find out

co791
05-30-2005, 06:01 AM
oh I definitely KNOW that it needed brakes and rotors just from the sound......I can remember as a kid driving cars till they went down to the rivets LOL. However I was stunned that this would happen at 6000 miles, and no explanation.

ricebike
08-27-2005, 07:14 AM
too many variables, like maybe a bad set of materials/pads/rotors... not enough lube on the sliding caliper pins. etc...

fastkia
08-29-2005, 07:13 PM
not saying this is what happened but I've being thinking it could have being a sudden change in temp on the pads. (if they were cracked) hehe

chicksmom
08-30-2005, 10:03 AM
not saying this is what happened but I've being thinking it could have being a sudden change in temp on the pads. (if they were cracked) hehe

I had a kia sephia when they first came out in 98 and within one year I had to have two sets of pads and the rotors turned once and rotors replaced once. Now I have a kia sedona 2005 and it has 10000 miles on it and the brakes are squeeling. Hopefully not the same problem as before. Maybe it is the type of brake and rotors that kia uses?

Zeaos
01-26-2006, 01:24 AM
Well, consumer reports is aware of the brake issues with the Sedona. What I read is that the Sedona is prone to rotar warping if the brakes are used "excessively", whatever that means. I guess the way I read it is that if you use the brakes a lot in a short period of time, too much heat builds up and the metal rotor actually deforms slightly. I just purchased a 2004 Sedona and noticed that when I come to a stop, there is a noticeable amount of, for lack of a better word, 'surging' as the car nears a complete stop.

It's not noticeable when slowing down at freeway speeds, but I can tell that there is something going on. I wonder if rotor replacement (hopefully with a thicker or ventilated rotor) is covered under Kia's incredible 10 year bumper to bumper warranty. They could argue that it's wear and tear, but when a problem is common enough to be mentioned in a review, that's a hard sell to make...:nono:

ricebike
01-26-2006, 09:38 AM
I wonder if rotor replacement (hopefully with a thicker or ventilated rotor) is covered under Kia's incredible 10 year bumper to bumper warranty. They could argue that it's wear and tear, but when a problem is common enough to be mentioned in a review, that's a hard sell to make...:nono:

Unfortunately, it falls under wear and tear so, unless it's been recalled, you're S.O.L.:banghead: unless it can be proven that there was a defect in the materials of the rotor or brake pads...

it may not need brakes but if it does they are covered for 12 months or 12,000 miles which ever comes first (in U.S.A.)

yup, after any job from most USA dealerships, they are covered for 12ooo miles/12 months... 1st hand experience of HONDA, NISSAN, CHRYSLER

MeettheCreeper
01-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Well, consumer reports is aware of the brake issues with the Sedona. What I read is that the Sedona is prone to rotar warping if the brakes are used "excessively", whatever that means. I guess the way I read it is that if you use the brakes a lot in a short period of time, too much heat builds up and the metal rotor actually deforms slightly. I just purchased a 2004 Sedona and noticed that when I come to a stop, there is a noticeable amount of, for lack of a better word, 'surging' as the car nears a complete stop.

It's not noticeable when slowing down at freeway speeds, but I can tell that there is something going on. I wonder if rotor replacement (hopefully with a thicker or ventilated rotor) is covered under Kia's incredible 10 year bumper to bumper warranty. They could argue that it's wear and tear, but when a problem is common enough to be mentioned in a review, that's a hard sell to make...:nono:

Where do people come up with this magical bumper to bumper 100000 mile warranty???

If you abuse the vehicle, its not covered. Plain and simple.

Kia warranty is 5/60000 bumper to bumper. Rotors are covered 3/36. Read your owners manual and warranty guide.

It also depends upon how you drive. I have many Sedonas come in without a problem with the brakes.

MeettheCreeper
01-26-2006, 11:01 AM
This makes no sense to me I really think you should go back just for the hell of it and ask to see the old pads. "I really think the dealer or tech scammed a brake job" which kia paid for obiusly. Don't let them tell you that they went back to kia cuase this parts sit in a bin for quite some time before kia asks for them for inspection (if they ask for them)

neways if they are cracked let me know I am very impatient to find out

Warranty abuse is getting to be an epidemic in most dealerships. Everyone I have ever worked at 3 of 5 guys abuse it. Those same 3 are nothing more than glorified parts changers.

tadtina
02-09-2007, 08:06 PM
I bought a Kia Sedona 2005 1.5 years ago. I have had to replace my rotors 3 times and they are going again. this time I am going to fight to LEMON LAW it. I didn't invest my money to have a piece of junk. it has been in the shop 7 times within a year. Very frustrated.

GeoRandy
02-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Anybody have any experience with the 2007 Sedona? Have they started to use vented rotors? Better?
Also, has anyone put thicker and/or vented rotors on their Sedona?
I ask because I am thinking of buying a Sedona.
Good idea to buy, or not?
Thanks

ACCOUNTTHISSTUFF
08-20-2007, 09:15 PM
anyone have any problems with front rotors and brakes being replaced around 4000 miles. had my kia sedona 2005 for 1.4 years and had them replaced 4 times.:screwy: applied for lemon law.

ACCOUNTTHISSTUFF
08-20-2007, 09:17 PM
anyone have any problems with front rotors and brakes being replaced around 4000 miles. had my kia sedona 2005 for 1.4 years and had them replaced 4 times.:screwy: applied for lemon law. my car now has 17000 miles problem starting all over again with squeeking at low speed stoping. also grinding and vibrating sensation.

skintnuckles
08-12-2008, 09:56 AM
I have a 07 kia sedona and know several other owners who have had warpage problems (from new).I machined mine and thiers on my lathe and now have close to 30,000 miles with zero problems.It sounds to me like there may be some issues with the people doing the repairs.There is no doubt that the problem exists from new but is serviceable.

GeoRandy
08-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Since I posted my response, I'm frustrated about mini-vans and front brakes. I have had 3 Chevy Astro mini-vans and all 3 have had front brake problems due to the rotors warping about every 5,ooo - 7,ooo miles. I don't want a Sedona if they have the same problems:runaround: .

ErickTR
08-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Brakes are one of the many things car dealers do not warranty.
Unless you bought a maintenance plan with your truck its doubtfull they will repair them.
The reason being there are to many varibles.
The driving habits of people differ and that makes a difference on how fast the brakes will wear down.
Some people drive with both feet, some drive fast and stop fast, some drive in the city and some the highway.
They will guarantee mechanical soundness when you buy the vehicle but it ends there with the dealer as far as the brakes go.
You may want to try ceramic pads, they lave a greater life span than the standard brake pad but you will give up a little in stopping distance.

tcyanks1
05-01-2009, 01:01 PM
I have a 05 Sedona with 25,000 miles on it. The brakes need replacing but as far as I know this thr first brake job. I don't know if I should get ceramic or metallic pads. I am putting new rotors on it also.

ricebike
05-01-2009, 07:06 PM
if you do alot of city driving vs highway driving

ceramics > metallics

since i have lotsa experiences w/ brake jobs as well i don't sweat it since i can do them easily now :P

i'm changing more suv's and minivan brakes than standard cars lately, just more weight up front means more stopping power needed... hence more wear n tear

i know autozone's ceramics duralast brand is not a bad price & has limited lifetime warranty to boot!

future pads would be free w/ exchange!

only other variable you need to worry about is the brake rotors; i had autozone's rotors and was going to install them

................BUT on the box, it says made in CHINA..........

back to the store it went! and had to goto advance autoparts or napa for the brake rotors

Add your comment to this topic!