Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 Prizm poor gas milage Sub 200miles per tank

ShinRekka
05-22-2005, 10:00 AM
I realy like this car but I will have to get rid of it soon if this continues. I fill the tank, and I recorded how many miles per the whole tank i get. With out going over 3000rpms and usualy staying below 2500rpms once I got about 183miles for the whole tank. I only have 98k on the car and its an auto 1.8liter. I have replace many things that could help

- Feul Filter
- Distributer
- Ignition Rotor
- Spark plug wires
- Performance intake filter
- changed oil
- Changed transmission fluid

I use this car for deliveries so it is essential I get good gas milage thats why i bought this car. The thing looks mint condition, the A/C works, tranny shift perfect, Engine looks immaculate just the horrible gas milage needs to be solved. I cant figure out why!

It is a car!
05-23-2005, 08:47 AM
not sure whats normal for you car but
My 122K, 1.6L 90 Prizm gets me about 29 MPG - (driving mix)
tank runs for about 280 miles.

When the injectors aren't spraying a fine mist you lose overall performance. And injectors do 'clog' up every now and then.
the product I been using over the past few years-with noticeable result! to keep my injectors clean:
12 Oz. bottle of TECHRON CONCENTRATE FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER (not the injector cleaner bottle-too weak) redeem the rebate-limit two.

or you could try other brands about same price. I been using this brand because it works. but just keep in mind the phrase: you get what you pay for- it applies here.

Blue_bags
05-30-2005, 03:50 AM
PRizzmmmms just suck period....I owned a 94 for a couple years. Its slow, underpowered and yeah towards the end of owndership it got like maybe 10 miles to the gallon, never figured out why, just got rid of the damn thing. The best thing to do would be to get a yota 4x4 pickup, and forget about everything else. lol

It is a car!
05-31-2005, 08:52 AM
The problem is not the Prizm - the Prizm is one of the most dependable cars in their class since inception. that's a proven fact.
The problem lies with an abusive owner who lacks general mechanical knowledge to maintain a new car from start. These kind of people generally buy a new car subconsciously thinking that it is indestructible and should not need any attention- hey it is a new car- that why I paid the big bucks for that new thing in the first place.
it should be able to handle it. After years of battering abuse the person finally sells the bruised up thing it to get a 'better' 'stronger' car with more gas guzzling capacity to handle more of his abuse.
then a poor guy who cant afford a new car buys the battered car and desperately struggles to keep it running and hopefully revive it back to better shape and manages to extend its useful yet prematurely limited life.
it is a desperate cyle.

The Prizm is a dependable car !

Akira13126
05-31-2005, 10:02 AM
I agree Prism's are a great car. It all depends on the driver. This is my third car and I just blew out 2nd, 4th, and reverse. I beat the piss out of my car. But I also pay for it in the long run...

It is a car!
06-16-2005, 08:35 AM
http://www.lubedev.com/articles/alcohol.htm

Alcohol in gasoline will compromise gas millage AND performance !
and most gas contains this harmful ingredient.

Thanks to our legislative body who have been dubiously convinced by alcohol producers that alcohol is not a bad thing for cars. and they also managed to convince the law makers to NOT require stations to post alcohol content on their pumps. and now the consumer blindly suffers in order for alcohol producers to make their profit.

worse yet, they are trying to raise the alcohol content from 10% to 20%.

The Russian Kid
06-29-2005, 08:48 PM
wow, this is interesting!

I have to check how much my Prizm gets..
i have 94 Prizm
1.6 liter 103,000 mi
3 speed automatic :(

I'll get back to you!

achim59
07-31-2005, 08:55 PM
I realy like this car but I will have to get rid of it soon if this continues. I fill the tank, and I recorded how many miles per the whole tank i get. With out going over 3000rpms and usualy staying below 2500rpms once I got about 183miles for the whole tank. I only have 98k on the car and its an auto 1.8liter. I have replace many things that could help

- Feul Filter
- Distributer
- Ignition Rotor
- Spark plug wires
- Performance intake filter
- changed oil
- Changed transmission fluid

I use this car for deliveries so it is essential I get good gas milage thats why i bought this car. The thing looks mint condition, the A/C works, tranny shift perfect, Engine looks immaculate just the horrible gas milage needs to be solved. I cant figure out why!

i still get about 31-33mpg have 1.6l automatic best buy i ever made!!
to your Problem...hmm...either somewhere a Gas leak, a bad Pressure regulator or like some others say a Injector problem...
BTW my geo has now almost 162000 miles runs great exept right now i can't figure out why it won't start in the morning. But that's not your Prob, right?
i would first investigate about a leak, start at the fuel pump!
Pull the pump and check if, when it runs in idle there' any gas comming back from the return line.(that shows if your Pressure reg. works)

good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!