Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Question: 10,000 mile oil change

crazycalves
05-11-2005, 12:50 AM
I'm a new Lexus owner and I'm going on 10,000 miles. One of the selling points about Lexus is their great service. So my question is, is their that much added benefit by getting it serviced at the dealership? The 10,000 mile checkpoint costs $159, and it doesn't seem like they do much more than a standard oil change which I can get at Jiffy for ~$30. Any advice???

Brian R.
05-11-2005, 08:10 AM
If you opt for Jiffy Lube, watch them like a hawk.

crazycalves
05-11-2005, 03:21 PM
If you opt for Jiffy Lube, watch them like a hawk.

So your suggestion would be to take it to Lexus??? Thanks.

Brian R.
05-12-2005, 11:01 PM
If you have the extra money, yes. Jiffy Lube is chancy, but the one I go to once in a while for some stuff I don't like to do will let me walk around the car while they're working on it and I can stop them before they do anything stupid.

Read this:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=277845

sheigh
05-26-2005, 07:44 AM
Lexus is a rip-off.

I have gone to Jiffy Lube since I had 5,000 miles and I have 121,000 now, with no problems whatsoever with my car. In fact, I never even let Jiffy Lube talk me into the more expensive oil for higher mileage cars, which they try to do eventually. It always costs around $30, and I have never watched them "like a hawk" but it is wise to keep an eye on what they are doing. If you make it clear that any and all services besides the oil change itself will get done at Lexus, they have no reason to screw with the car, since they know you won't be bringing it to them to be worked on.

Lexus put the oil filter in a difficult place to reach under the engine so that even if you can do it yourself, you will want to take it somewhere else, unless you have long, skinny arms.

Jiffy Lube has always worked for me. They WILL try to tell you all sorts of stuff that the car needs whenever you bring it there, saying "Lexus recommends you do ____ at x number of miles" but I always say No Thanks. The car is so well designed that I haven't found that changing the oil at the "wrong place" will have an effect on its performance or lifespan!

Dr. Love
05-29-2005, 05:38 PM
Whatsa matter, you Lexus owners don't know how to change the oil yourself? Born with a silver spoon in your mouths eh? Yeah I know it only costs $30 but if you are worried about something happening then it's not about the money.

Brian R.
07-26-2005, 08:59 AM
I have gone to Jiffy Lube since I had 5,000 miles and I have 121,000 now, with no problems whatsoever with my car....
...Jiffy Lube has always worked for me. They WILL try to tell you all sorts of stuff that the car needs whenever you bring it there, saying "Lexus recommends you do ____ at x number of miles" but I always say No Thanks. The car is so well designed that I haven't found that changing the oil at the "wrong place" will have an effect on its performance or lifespan!

Trust Jiffy Lube and something like the above can happen to you.

cficare68
07-26-2005, 07:44 PM
Yeah, but not all Jiffy Lubes are bad. Just make sure that you check over everything before you leave. Make sure there is no oil pooring out and that everything that is suppose to be there is there and I think that you'll be fine

Brian R.
07-26-2005, 08:24 PM
If you let untrained people work on your car, you will have problems - possibly expensive problems.

Steel
10-23-2005, 07:54 PM
What you pay for at Lexus thouhg, is not only the oil change, using toyota oil filters, and a tire rotation and balance, but you are also paying for having a nice clean leather lined wait area to sit in, with coffee and donuts and drinks galore, exceptional service, not to mention getting your car a pretty good detailing EVERY time it's in for service.

A little expensive? yeah, but it IS a Lexus after all. You spent enough money to buy the car, might as well spend it to get the car maintained right.

sherriff
02-21-2006, 06:47 PM
Whatsa matter, you Lexus owners don't know how to change the oil yourself? Born with a silver spoon in your mouths eh? Yeah I know it only costs $30 but if you are worried about something happening then it's not about the money.

AMEN brother

sherriff
02-21-2006, 06:58 PM

AMEN brother

Add your comment to this topic!