Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

d16y8....

showcivic96ex
05-03-2005, 02:46 PM
hi i was wondering if u guys can help me out and answer some questions i have.... there is a guy here selling a y8 engine and i was wondering if i can drop it in my 92 hatch cx... using a obd1 harness? or would i have to use a obd2 and get a obd 1 converter?? also can i use a intake manifold from a z6 or will i have to get a y8 one?? the reason i ask is because the motor will not come with a harness or any manifolds.... thx for help and all info is appreciated
thx,Lo

honda_luvr_2000
05-03-2005, 08:47 PM
yes it will drop right in using u'r factory mounts. also, u should be able to use an obd1 harness, but u might have to lengthen a couple connectors (not sure). u do know u'll need a new ecu right? as for the z6 manifold, yep it'll fit just fine. and since that mani is obd1, then that'll make life a lot easier.

GScivic7
05-03-2005, 08:48 PM
i think you need to use a OBD1 dizzy too.

showcivic96ex
05-04-2005, 10:24 PM
hey thx for the reply... what about the ecu?? p28 (a bit expensive) or p05/p06 (i hear some people are using these?? also i heard that all 1992 ecu is pre programed with vtec?? is that true?? also what about my axels?? is it diff from a 1.5 than a 1.6?? thx again... Lo

Ace$nyper
05-05-2005, 10:16 AM
go for the p28 imo

CivicSpoon
05-05-2005, 01:43 PM
No not all '92 ECU's are pre programmed for vtec, '92 Civics are partially prewired for vtec (From the shock tower connector to the ecu). The P05 and P06 definently don't have vtec enabled. And what 1.5L and 1.6L are you talking about? There are quite a few 1.5L and 1.6L engines. But the majority of the time the 1.5Ls aren't vtec (except the d15b vtec, maybe another engine I'm not thinking of as well).

As stated above, you'll need a new distributor (or to at least rewire it from the OBD1 2-plugs to the OBD2 1-plug). You'll also need to use the OBD1 injectors and buy a OBD1 alternator (or switch out the OBD2 voltage regulator for your old OBD1 voltage regulator). You will also need to convert your CX's 1-wire O2 sensor for a 4-wire O2 sensor, here's how to do that: http://www.hybridautomotive.com/tech/o2/#one And make sure to get an OBD1 ECU ('92-'95), so it will plug right in to your harness. And you'll need to run the vtec wires from the vtec solenoid to the correct pin on the shock tower harness (there will be a black "cap" on the engine harness side of the connector that you will need to take out to make the connection).

showcivic96ex
05-06-2005, 05:59 AM
well i currently have a 1992 honda civic cx. and ur saying i can use my old harness?? (since ur saying i will have to conver my 1 wire 02 into a 4 wire)...

(From the shock tower connector to the ecu). <-- what dose that mean ( where from the ECU harness?).

also i was asking if i will need new axels ( i just bout new ones) in other words will the cx axels fit with the y8 motor...

one more thing i notice is the exhaust system... the cat in the cx is right under the header in front of the car not under the car... if i were to get a set of headers will i need to get a new cat?

also what do u think about a vtec head on a cx buttom?? possible?? seeing a cx only has 8 valves are the pistons built for it?

thx,for all help... Lo

CivicSpoon
05-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Yes you can use the old harness.
With the ECU harness... There is a harness that comes off of the ECU and goes through the firewall. One of the ends of that harness (that's now through the firewall), there will be a connector. Your engine harness (the harness that you can remove when you take out the engine) plugs directly into this connector. So what you will need to do is add the wires for vtec (that need to go to the ECU), and add them to the engine side of the harness (not directly in the connector that leads to the ECU). To figure out which hole in the connector you will need to put those wires in, you have to look at the other half of the connector (the one that came through the firewall) and find where the wires are to match them up. Basically, vtec is prewired from the ECU to the connector that goes through the firewall. So you grab that connector and match it on the other part of that connector (engine harness side). Here's a pic that should help a little better than my ramblings: http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/wiring/obd1.shocktowerplug.jpg

Yes you will need a new cat for the exhaust. And I'm not sure about the axles or the head swap.

sageuvagony
05-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Why does this seem so hard? lol. I have a 1992 Civic LX and used to have a D15B7. I now have a D16Y7 in it. Was the easiest swap ever. although yes you need to keep most of your old parts. I kept using the same dizzy, same manifold, same exhaust manifold, same alternator, same powersteering pump, same compressor. But so what? you already have it. Now just get a Z6 ecu.. The fact that the Y7 that I bought came with ALL accessories, I am currently listing them on ebay. ALternator, Powersteering pump, manifolds, etc. As far as my 02 sensor, it was already a 4-wire. We ran into NO problems. At first I tried installing the Y7 intake manifold which did NOT work. They have different sensors than the OBD1's.

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/62025engine.JPG
B7

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/62025enginee.JPG
Y7

I was forced to get a new engine because my B7 died of headgasket syndrome

Add your comment to this topic!