Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Regal & GN

351FoxBody
04-25-2005, 08:39 AM
I was just wondering how easy it is to convert an 80s model Regal to a Grand National. I don't know a whole lot about the GNs, but I would love to build one, and I think a Regal conversion would be the cheapest way to go. I've heard of people converting their GNs to Regals, but what all does the Regal to GN conversion involve? (body differences mainly) Thanks for helping out a newb.

Hypsi87
04-25-2005, 09:16 AM
I was just wondering how easy it is to convert an 80s model Regal to a Grand National. I don't know a whole lot about the GNs, but I would love to build one, and I think a Regal conversion would be the cheapest way to go. I've heard of people converting their GNs to Regals, but what all does the Regal to GN conversion involve? (body differences mainly) Thanks for helping out a newb.

alot of people convert because they want to build a racecar with a full cage and everything to boot. Most people don't want to do that to a true GN.

If you want to build a street machine, then buying a real turbo buick (T-type, turbo T, GN) is the cheapest way to go.

the regular regals have the shitty 7.5 inch ten bolt.... The turbo buicks have the stonger and much better 8.5 inch ten bolt. They also have a special 200-r4 transmission and a few other little things like SEFI.

Most of the base regals are carbed cars as well.

351FoxBody
04-25-2005, 02:22 PM
I was planning on buying a roller, which is why I wanted a Regal (easier to find and cheaper) then swap in the 3.8 GN motor and tranny. So there aren't any differences in the bodies of the Regal and the GN?

Hypsi87
04-25-2005, 02:55 PM
I was planning on buying a roller, which is why I wanted a Regal (easier to find and cheaper) then swap in the 3.8 GN motor and tranny. So there aren't any differences in the bodies of the Regal and the GN?

well the GN had bumper fillers and stuff I will get pics for you

351FoxBody
04-25-2005, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the replies.

gn1220
04-29-2005, 08:50 PM
The only body difference in a Regal and a GN, other than the emblems, are the hood and spoiler. All bumper fillers are the same. Now, even though all of the trim, taillights, grill etc. will swap from one to the other, all of this stuff is blacked out on the GN. You would be money ahead to find a real Turbo car to start with rather than trying to convert one. Wiring is totally different, gas tank, rear end, tranny, etc.

OneHotV6
05-09-2005, 12:08 AM
I've heard of people converting their GNs to Regals.

Where have you heard that? They would be total idiots to take a GN and convert it back to a Regal......... :confused:

351FoxBody
05-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Where have you heard that? They would be total idiots to take a GN and convert it back to a Regal......... :confused:

I saw a thread about it in a Buick forum a while back, crazy, I know.

EZFrank
05-15-2005, 07:43 PM
There is a site called GNTTYPE.com you can find all the info for a swap there. i have a 84 TType fast as hell.

Add your comment to this topic!