Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rotten egg smell

DUI
04-23-2005, 12:42 PM
well my car was running fine, i have left the lights on and let the battery go dead about 4 times now, it was starting to have some hard starts but latly it was seeming to have fixed it self. about three days ago i notised that everytime i drive my car hard the cabin is overwelmed with a rotten egg smell. i'm pretty sure the cat is going out or maybe the loss of power with the batterey is making it so the cat wont fire at the right time. i dont know, but last night before going out to the races i noticed my stereo would crackle for a few seconds every once and a while like the deck wasnt sending enough power, and then to top it off, the tach and speedo will turn off if i'm using the stereo and the power windows are getting slower and slower. would the cat or exhaust problem be the result of a power loss due to a bad battery?

Greenblurr93
04-23-2005, 11:12 PM
dont post the same question in more than one forum... chac the other post for my reply.

NFGpunk
04-24-2005, 01:53 AM
ok the rotten egg smell is mosty likely from the catalytic converter. As far as the power thing goes its becuz ur alternator is wearing ouit and ur not getting enough juice back into ur battery to power everything at one time. Check ur grounds, that can be a big problem too. What size moitor or what engine code is ur motor?

honda_luvr_2000
04-24-2005, 03:32 PM
rotten egg smell is sulfer dioxide. two causes:
1) u have crappy gas w/ a high sulfer content.
2) since u killed u'r battery so many times, the plates have sulfated, and now when u run it hard and demand a lot of power from it and r throwing a lot of current back at it (due to high rpms) u'r basicly heating the shit out of u'r battery. i'd say next time u get the smell, pull over and touch the side of u'r battery if it's hot (over 115 degrees)... GET A NEW BATTERY RIGHT THEN. if it is getting hot, u'r driving w/ a ticking time bomb.

edit: i'm pretty sure the cat is going out or maybe the loss of power with the batterey is making it so the cat wont fire at the right time. i dont know...

u'r right u don't know. the battery has nothing to do w/ the cat and the cat has nothin to do w/ the battery. the cat "fires" simply due to heat build up from the exhaust. that's y it's close to the engine, so it gets up to temp. once the cat has gotten to it's operating temperature, it burns HydroCarbons, CarbonmonOxide, and Oxides of Nitrogen. the o2 sensor does not send any kind of signal or current to the cat, it sends a "current" to the ecu.

snowman2005
04-24-2005, 09:44 PM
shit good info honda_luvr_2000. change ur cat and does ur alternator belt slip?

Add your comment to this topic!