Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Headlights Left On...Beep Beep...How?

MrCuff
04-20-2005, 07:04 PM
My girlfriend has a 92 honda civic si hatchback and she keeps leaving her headlights on during the day, killing the battery, and driving me crazy with boosting her car! Does anyone know how to wire the beeping sound (when the key is in the ignition and the door is open) to work when the headlights are on and the driver door opens? If it's really complicated I can take it to the shop and have it done, but I'm the kinda guy that would rather do it himself! I'm sure you guys know what I mean!! Any help would be great!

E Honda
04-21-2005, 01:44 AM
My girlfriend has a 92 honda civic si hatchback and she keeps leaving her headlights on during the day, killing the battery, and driving me crazy with boosting her car! Does anyone know how to wire the beeping sound (when the key is in the ignition and the door is open) to work when the headlights are on and the driver door opens? If it's really complicated I can take it to the shop and have it done, but I'm the kinda guy that would rather do it himself! I'm sure you guys know what I mean!! Any help would be great!
Sounds to me if shes leaving her lights on during the daytime all you need to do is wire the headlight to the ignition so they come on when it is on and go off when it is off........Wala.........Problem solved. And without spending any money..... :biggrin:

E.Honda

snowman2005
04-21-2005, 07:45 AM
i did that and it worked good for me but i brought it back to stock i guess because it might burn light bulbs faster idk

showcivic96ex
04-21-2005, 12:52 PM
u can go to radio shack and get a buzzer some walmarts have them.... and install it...

showcivic96ex
04-21-2005, 12:52 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7968843246&category=46101

here is one from ebay... i tho i would look it up...

polacek
04-21-2005, 02:23 PM
So y'all said how and where to buy the buzzer, but no one said how to hook it up. E Honda, are you a little crazy. 10 amps max per bulb (40 amps max during the period when you switch from low to high) There is a reason why automakers do not hook up their driving lights to the ignition, it's called fire. You need to hook up a relay between the lights and ignition. In the buzzer statements, what is he supposed to do, have the buzzer on all the time the lights are on? Bet she would never want to drive in the dark again! Try this. http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/headalrm.html

super easy if you know electronics, if not, well you are out of luck. :banghead:

E Honda
04-21-2005, 05:09 PM
So y'all said how and where to buy the buzzer, but no one said how to hook it up. E Honda, are you a little crazy. 10 amps max per bulb (40 amps max during the period when you switch from low to high) There is a reason why automakers do not hook up their driving lights to the ignition, it's called fire. You need to hook up a relay between the lights and ignition. In the buzzer statements, what is he supposed to do, have the buzzer on all the time the lights are on? Bet she would never want to drive in the dark again! Try this. http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/headalrm.html

super easy if you know electronics, if not, well you are out of luck. :banghead:

Where did you get your advice?.........The majority of auto manufactures have the cars and trucks wired to run the lights when the ignition is on without fires. So I left out the relay....I guess common sense is lacking in here.

94DXSiR
04-21-2005, 05:46 PM
Well, since you seem to be the one paying for things, yeah it might seem kind of mean, but you could just tell her that if she keeps leaving them on. Your not going to get her any more batteries, give her anymore jumps till she learns to turn the things off. All it takes is a whole two seconds to flip you whipers and lights off before you get out of the car. Why go through the hassle of doing things to the car, when its not the cars fault, no offense, its your girlfrends fault.

And please dont take this as me being an ass, its just a sudjestion.

polacek
04-22-2005, 08:13 AM
94DXSiR, right on. Next she will want one of those rings on her finger after you tell her that line.

Add your comment to this topic!