Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 gs-r VS. 95 VW golf

knorwj
04-18-2005, 11:58 PM
Well I don't get to post in here very often but my buddy just picked up a 95 golf, so we ran each other a few times.

I rode along on the test drive and it seemed the golf had some decent pull, so I was looking forward to testing him out when he picked it up.

OK so on to the races.

First was him in front at a stop light me behind (single lane) I heard him getting ready to go so I did too. he floored it off the line and I stayed about the same distance from him through first but in second I had to lay off a bit so I didn't get too close to him.

Second was getting on a highway from a roll (I was in second gear around 4500 rpm) Him still in front and me behind on the on ramp. As soon as we hit the highway I scooted into the other lane pulled even with him, shifted and passed. nice and smooth.

Third and final was from a very slow roll, so pretty much from a dig. anyway we were just rolling around 5-10 miles an hour in first gear. We both punched it and we stayed dead even until I shifted into 2nd pulled about to where his front bumper was even with my back, then shifted to third and open up about a car length or two.

Moral of the story: golf= torquey little car but no top end at all. (2.0 engine by the way)

None of these races were all out hardcore races I was shifting pretty easy and it was the first day he had his car so maybe we'll try again some other time, but i think the outcome will be the same.

Rampart Crawler
04-19-2005, 06:24 PM
Nice kill. I need to do me research on the golf. I dont' know much about them, other than they had the small I4 w/ turbo performance and the 'big' v6 performance. I am guessing an n/a 2.0 would be a base model?

EDIT: Did some research on it. The one you raced had 115hp. be a fun race for my little dx.:)

If you were up against the VR6, they have a 2.8L 172 hp V6. He might of had you for a while from the low roll, but you would still easily walk him up top.;)

That VR6 seems to be a good deal. A 10 year old vw would be cheap, used. And 175hp isn't too bad.

knorwj
04-19-2005, 09:43 PM
correct. the 2.0 is the base 115 hp model. its the good old reliable VW engine. My ex had the same thing only auto and in a 2002 jetta.

My choice would be a 1.8T same hp as the VR6 but I believe it is a lighter engine.

civicHBsi91
04-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Vr6 pulls harder up top.

Dr.Gonzo
04-22-2005, 06:29 PM
I wouldn't underestimate the VR6's top end pull even without any mods it does pull pretty hard and its powerband is very broad. Unless you have some decent bolt ons(Toda Header,CAI, pullies, exhaust etc or even cams) you won't easily walk a VR6 especially if it's in a lighter golf. I do however have a lot of respect for Hondas/Acuras you guys have great engines that just begged to be modded. The thing with the VR6 is its 3rd gear pull if by the time you race one (both being N/A and equeally modded) and haven't put a car on it you probably won't beat it. Not saying that the VR6 is the be all end all of engines b/c it has some serious issues with the stock intake and exhaust valves being a bit small. Over all an equally modded VR6 and B18 gsr motor all comes down the the drivers. Good luck in the future.

civicHBsi91
04-23-2005, 08:53 AM
Plus the vr6's just sound so mean, new and old ones.

New ones have....24 vavles?...probably wrong, but I cant remember.

knorwj
04-23-2005, 11:46 AM
Plus the vr6's just sound so mean, new and old ones.

New ones have....24 vavles?...probably wrong, but I cant remember.

yeah they do have a nice tone, even with a stock exhaust they have a satisfying sound when you get on them.

slow_99integra
04-23-2005, 12:14 PM
friend of mine has a stock vr6 he ran i believe a 15.6 on a slow track. is pretty quick. never raced him though.

Dr.Gonzo
04-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Thanks for giving the VR6 respect. It's a labor of love with that engine since most parts for it are damn expensive. However Kinetics has a turbo for the 12v VR6 for only $2500 and putting 245whp and 255whtq. $2500.00 May sound like a lot of money but when it comes to the VR6 other kits start around $4000. Anyway good luck. I've been reading up on the the K20 engines and those look like they are going to be one of the more popular N/A tuner engines.

Dr.Gonzo
04-27-2005, 01:23 PM
I think the fastest stock I've ever seen was 14.8 for a 12v VR6 on an MKIV GTI I believe. I think he did have decent tires however so not totally stock.

Add your comment to this topic!