Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

My Rover 75 randomly won't start

boxergirl
04-17-2005, 03:17 PM
Hi,
I have been the proud owner of a 1999 Rover 75 (manual diesel) for about 6 weeks now. It drives beautifully and is generally a joy EXCEPT every now and then it just won't start. (90 percent of the time it starts first go). It is not a battery problem and a mechanic has told me he doesn't think it is the starter motor. The breakdown service tested the car's computer and said no faults were reported. On every occasion but one the car has eventually started (though on a few occasions I have had to leave it for 10 mins or so). On one occasion I flattened the battery but the next morning when I came back the car started first go.

This is unbelievably frustrating. Every time I have somewhere important to go I am filled with dread and I dare not offer to drive anyone else somewhere for fear the car won't start!

Any ideas anyone???

Yours gratefully,
Laura

John White
04-20-2005, 01:43 PM
Hello Boxergirl, Our Rover 75 (Petrol 2.5) sufferred similar problems. It was frustrating because it would refuse to start at the most inconvenient time. After a wait of about 20-30 minutes it would start OK. The AA came out to it on at least four seperate occasions, were unable to get it started, then it would suddenly start while they were turning the engine over to diagnose what was wrong!
It went into our Rover main dealers, who, even when it refused to start (most times, of course, it started every time for them), they were unable to say what was wrong.
We were reduced to getting it in to the Main Dealers when it broke down, and for them to change something until the fault went away! Needless to say, it turned out to be very expensive. On the visit that finally seems to have cleared the fault, they changed the camshaft sensor and the crankshaft sensor. I hope that can be of some use for you. We are now having to come to terms with another problem which seems to be going the same way. The car overheats. They've had it in the garage three times and can find nothing wrong. They are suggesting replacing both cylinder head gaskets. Estimated cost £1500-2000!
Regards John

boxergirl
04-20-2005, 05:34 PM
Oh my gosh, you know exactly how I feel then! Every time I go to start the car (which is about 10 times a day) I am filled with dread. And you are right, it seems to chose it's recalcitrant moments for maximum discomfort!

Can you tell me how much the eventual repairs you did cost? Maybe I should take it to a Rover dealer and ask them to try that first as it sounds very very similar?!

Sorry to hear about your new problems. I'd heard negative stuff about Rovers before but didn't believe it. Now I'm starting to wonder...

thanks so much for your reply. Laura

John White
04-21-2005, 12:08 PM
Hi Laura, changing the two sensors came to just over £40 for the parts + £210 Labour. I've just noticed that they also changed the Key/Unit-Immobiliser which was also a possible cause for the non starting. That cost £209 for the part alone. The Labour involved in changing that would have been part of the £210 Labour above. A friend of mine with a Clio had a similar problem and he advised me to get the sensor (I'm not sure which one) changed, but I ignored his advice for ages! So my advice would be to get the garage to quote you for replacing one or both of the two sensors first. See if they are able to test them in-situ. Hope it doesn't cost too much, regards John

bucko9
07-13-2005, 12:55 PM
Oh my gosh, you know exactly how I feel then! Every time I go to start the car (which is about 10 times a day) I am filled with dread. And you are right, it seems to chose it's recalcitrant moments for maximum discomfort!

Can you tell me how much the eventual repairs you did cost? Maybe I should take it to a Rover dealer and ask them to try that first as it sounds very very similar?!

Sorry to hear about your new problems. I'd heard negative stuff about Rovers before but didn't believe it. Now I'm starting to wonder...

thanks so much for your reply. Laura

Hi Laura

I am having the same problem with my car not starting. I have been told it could be my camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor aswell.
Have you had yours repaired and if so how much did cost you?

If you have had it done has the problem now gone away?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

boxergirl
07-15-2005, 04:10 AM
Hi, yes I have had it fixed.
The mechanic diagnosed 2 faults (using the computer) and it was indeed the camshaft sensor (he also found a fault with the glow plug but doubt that had anything to do with it not starting).
Fault diagnosis cost £60, labour £60, the glow plug relay was £36 and the cam sensor was £50. total including VAT is £241.

Maybe just ask them to change the cam sensor without doing the diagnosis and that seems like it will probably fix it.

Mine has been fine since. There has been a couple of times in the last couple of months when it has not wanted to start and I thought the problem had returned but this was only when the fuel tank was almost empty. It's never done it again while there has been a decent amount of deisel in it.

best of luck and let me know if I can be of any further help!

bucko9
08-17-2005, 08:16 AM
Hi, yes I have had it fixed.
The mechanic diagnosed 2 faults (using the computer) and it was indeed the camshaft sensor (he also found a fault with the glow plug but doubt that had anything to do with it not starting).
Fault diagnosis cost £60, labour £60, the glow plug relay was £36 and the cam sensor was £50. total including VAT is £241.

Maybe just ask them to change the cam sensor without doing the diagnosis and that seems like it will probably fix it.

Mine has been fine since. There has been a couple of times in the last couple of months when it has not wanted to start and I thought the problem had returned but this was only when the fuel tank was almost empty. It's never done it again while there has been a decent amount of deisel in it.

best of luck and let me know if I can be of any further help!

Hi Laura

I took your advice and went ahead and got the camshaft and cam sensor replaced and touch wood my car has been fine ever since. It is now a pleasure to use after dreading going out and getting stranded!

Thanks alot for your help

boxergirl
08-18-2005, 04:19 AM
oh I am so pleased!

tell me, what did it cost you to get them done?

I wonder how many other Rover owners are out there scratching their heads over the same issue and dreading important occasions when they need to drive...

NotHappy
11-26-2005, 09:40 AM
"I wonder how many other Rover owners are out there scratching their heads over the same issue and dreading important occasions when they need to drive..."

And I wonder how many different explanations garages can come up with once the 75 has been on "the computer". My experience (same problem but different "diagnosis") is that one can't be sure that one isn't being fed a line, especially now that Rover has all but died.

In my case, I asked if it could possibly be anything else other than "the control box" to the starter motor which is what they said "the computer" diagnosed. The man said the computer diagnosis would be correct,
although he didn't show me anything to prove it! What can one say?? All the messages here about this problem talk about faults that have not been mentioned by my garage, although the symptoms are exactly the same as those described here! I also asked him if it could be anything to do with the gears/gearbox and he said no it wouldn't be, and that it was probably just a coincidence that it started after I had moved through the gears (it is automatic by the way). We have had a problem recently with the fuel guage warning light coming on/ needle on empty even with a full tank, but that seemed to be the hot weather. The non starting problem has been getting worse over time. The garage charged me for a new battery last week, and the next day it didn't start for 10 mins as usual. When it went in for testing by "the computer", they still didn't have an explanation 24 hrs later. Then they called with this diagnoses of "the control box" having an electrical short and that this had probably damaged the starter motor saying that both would have to be replaced! How can one know for sure what "the computer" diagnoses if they don't give you a copy of the printout? We are put in the position of being prime mugs as we have to trust them. Said they would have to replace my "control box" (described as the car's "brain" - do they treat all women this way!??) AND my starter motor. I won't say how much that would cost as I suspect folk might faint with shock given what we have seen above in terms of other diagnoses and solutions. I took the car back, but was still charged £100 for the diagnosis, so altogether £170 including the replaced battery.
I am in London and have been told of 4 garages who still have a Rover franchise, I took it to one of them because I thought they would be the most reliable. Does anyone take their 75 to a reliable mechanic? if so can you tell me where they are located?

boxergirl
11-26-2005, 10:37 AM
it's a nightmare, isn't it! well, all I can say is that what I had done (see previous posts) was a complete solution. Have had no troubles starting since and I think it sorted the other guy's problems too.

I'm in London and took my car to Halocen which is just off Holloway Road (on Camden Road), N7. They seem fine and they are authorised Rover people. Their number is 0207 607 3600. If you ask for John (he's the mechanic that fixed mine) and tell him that the girl boxer who's Rover wouldn't start sent you to him, he'll probably be able to sort you out.

NotHappy
11-27-2005, 05:26 AM
it's a nightmare, isn't it! well, all I can say is that what I had done (see previous posts) was a complete solution. Have had no troubles starting since and I think it sorted the other guy's problems too.

I'm in London and took my car to Halocen which is just off Holloway Road (on Camden Road), N7. They seem fine and they are authorised Rover people. Their number is 0207 607 3600. If you ask for John (he's the mechanic that fixed mine) and tell him that the girl boxer who's Rover wouldn't start sent you to him, he'll probably be able to sort you out.

Really? Funny you should refer to them .....

They told me that it would cost £1200 + VAT to fix my car's faulty "brain" ("control box") *and* a new starter motor (which aforementioned faulty "brain" had "possibly" damaged).

Worse than going to the dentist!

Odd (coincidence?) don't you think?

One day's testing by their "brain" showed no faults - left out in the cold overnight and tested again by their "brain" came up with above solution.

Computers eh?

boxergirl
11-27-2005, 07:53 AM
boy, well you HAVE been unlucky! I specifically told them what I expected the problem to be (after the reply to my post on this forum) and their computer diagnosis confirmed this (allegedly). It's just so hard to know if you're being taken for a ride isn't it!

Bloomster2
12-31-2005, 12:00 PM
Really? Funny you should refer to them .....

They told me that it would cost £1200 + VAT to fix my car's faulty "brain" ("control box") *and* a new starter motor (which aforementioned faulty "brain" had "possibly" damaged).

Worse than going to the dentist!

Odd (coincidence?) don't you think?

One day's testing by their "brain" showed no faults - left out in the cold overnight and tested again by their "brain" came up with above solution.

Computers eh?

Hi NotHappy,

Any update on your problem?

My Rover 75 (2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE) has been giving problems starting since 18th Dec.
The problem is intermittent, I can go days without a problem but today, each time I started the engine it took longer each time before it would start.
the last attempt took nearly 30 mins before it started, drove for 15 mins to get home and the tried starting again once I was home.
No joy for 10 mins, after which I gave up and started reading this thread.

I need to limit the cost of fixing this if possible so any help would be greatly appreciated.

NotHappy
01-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Hi NotHappy,

Any update on your problem?

My Rover 75 (2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE) has been giving problems starting since 18th Dec.
The problem is intermittent, I can go days without a problem but today, each time I started the engine it took longer each time before it would start.
the last attempt took nearly 30 mins before it started, drove for 15 mins to get home and the tried starting again once I was home.
No joy for 10 mins, after which I gave up and started reading this thread.

I need to limit the cost of fixing this if possible so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well,... I haven't managed to get back to a garage with it, but a couple of things that I do seem to help it start, although I am not sure whether it is a coincidence. I take it through all the gears, and then sometimes it starts. I am also beginning to think that it might be connected to the steering lock as when I pull the steering wheel to the left or right as I turn the ignition key, it flares into life. For two or three days it started perfectly and I thought that the problem had resolved its self, but then it came back. When I turn on the ignition and run through the gears, their is a clicking noise, as though I am trying to start the engine when it is not in 'Park' but my brother in law says that it is nothing to do with the gear sensor. I will obviously have to take it in to a garage again but am very wary. Hope this helps

Bloomster2
01-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Well,... I haven't managed to get back to a garage with it, but a couple of things that I do seem to help it start, although I am not sure whether it is a coincidence. I take it through all the gears, and then sometimes it starts. I am also beginning to think that it might be connected to the steering lock as when I pull the steering wheel to the left or right as I turn the ignition key, it flares into life. For two or three days it started perfectly and I thought that the problem had resolved its self, but then it came back. When I turn on the ignition and run through the gears, their is a clicking noise, as though I am trying to start the engine when it is not in 'Park' but my brother in law says that it is nothing to do with the gear sensor. I will obviously have to take it in to a garage again but am very wary. Hope this helps

My car has been in a local garage today, I know the guy who owns it
(I used to work with his father, makes me feel old saying that).
He tells me that the diagnostics reported 3 faults, power steering sensor, cam sensor and one other that he didn't mention.
He cleared the faults and ran the diagnostics again.
This time only the power steering sensor indicated a fault, which as he stated would have nothing to do with the starting problem.
This was lunchtime, he was going to try starting the car as often as possible during the afternoon to see if the other faults would reappear.
My experience would make me expect these faults will not show whilst the car continues to start (been fine since Tuesday when I booked it in the garage).
If the faults don't show again, he suggests I take the car back until I get the problem again then return to the garage to have the diagnostics run again.
I didn't get a chance to ring him this afternoon to find out how it went, I will ring in the morning and post an update for everyone.

Further update on this saga.
Mt friendly car doctor tried all Thursday afternoon to replicate the starting problem without success.
I collected the car Friday morning and used it as normal, it started 5 times without problem, on the 6th attempt to use the car it would not start.
I have arranged for it to go back to the garage Monday morning and have the diagnostics run again to see if the cam sensor shows a fault.
If so the cam sensor will be changed monday.
I will report what happens early next week.

Bikergirl
06-08-2006, 09:50 AM
Thanks to reading other 75 owners' problems with starting and taking the advice of the solution possibly being a new camshaft sensor, I was able to tell my 'Rover' dealer (now a Ford garage) in advance and they had the sensor on stand-by when I visited today for an urgent diagnostic check. I'd begun to call-out the AA on consecutive days with the non-starting problem, both frustrating and a tad embarassing. Hurrah, the diagnostic check kept coming back to the camshaft sensor being the culprit. Thanks for all the help.

boxergirl
06-15-2006, 03:23 AM
wow, who would have thought my desperate little post would have done so much good in the end (and kept so many pounds in pockets where they belong!). Great news! Laura.

arrows
10-21-2006, 05:46 AM
:banghead: I am so gratefull for everyone posting this information. My Rover 75 2.5 2003 has exactly the same fault. It started four weeks ago. Every now and again it just turns over and over and over. I disconnected the battery thinking it was a computer fault. Once my computer average speed bit etc went wobbly and it fixed that. I think it was co-incidence that after a period of time it finally starts. The only thing I find of releif at the moment is that everyone says it eventually starts...other than this and a back door that wont open its a fantastic car and a joy to drive!! Anyone got any more advice than just change the two sensors?

donaldboese
07-13-2007, 05:50 AM
Hi,
i had a problem with no starting once and it was the fuel transfer tank..( a small container which stops the car running low on feul when a low tank and cornering) sometimes these can come unscrewed a half turn and loose vacumme)..it is a known problem with the 75s

Want2Bhappy
09-18-2007, 10:11 AM
"I wonder how many other Rover owners are out there scratching their heads over the same issue and dreading important occasions when they need to drive..."

And I wonder how many different explanations garages can come up with once the 75 has been on "the computer". My experience (same problem but different "diagnosis") is that one can't be sure that one isn't being fed a line, especially now that Rover has all but died.

In my case, I asked if it could possibly be anything else other than "the control box" to the starter motor which is what they said "the computer" diagnosed. The man said the computer diagnosis would be correct,
although he didn't show me anything to prove it! What can one say?? All the messages here about this problem talk about faults that have not been mentioned by my garage, although the symptoms are exactly the same as those described here! I also asked him if it could be anything to do with the gears/gearbox and he said no it wouldn't be, and that it was probably just a coincidence that it started after I had moved through the gears (it is automatic by the way). We have had a problem recently with the fuel guage warning light coming on/ needle on empty even with a full tank, but that seemed to be the hot weather. The non starting problem has been getting worse over time. The garage charged me for a new battery last week, and the next day it didn't start for 10 mins as usual. When it went in for testing by "the computer", they still didn't have an explanation 24 hrs later. Then they called with this diagnoses of "the control box" having an electrical short and that this had probably damaged the starter motor saying that both would have to be replaced! How can one know for sure what "the computer" diagnoses if they don't give you a copy of the printout? We are put in the position of being prime mugs as we have to trust them. Said they would have to replace my "control box" (described as the car's "brain" - do they treat all women this way!??) AND my starter motor. I won't say how much that would cost as I suspect folk might faint with shock given what we have seen above in terms of other diagnoses and solutions. I took the car back, but was still charged £100 for the diagnosis, so altogether £170 including the replaced battery.
I am in London and have been told of 4 garages who still have a Rover franchise, I took it to one of them because I thought they would be the most reliable. Does anyone take their 75 to a reliable mechanic? if so can you tell me where they are located?

I am really hoping that this will solve my problem, which seems to be the same as everyone elses. I have just ordered a new sensor off the internet which will hopefully get to me by thursday. Will definately be big smiles all round if it works.

Want2Bhappy
09-18-2007, 10:16 AM
Want2Bhappy]

Hi this is such a good site and I really appreciate everyone's imput.

I am really hoping that this will solve my problem, which seems to be the same as everyone elses. I have just ordered a new sensor off the internet which will hopefully get to me by thursday. Will definitely be big smiles all round if it works. If not will coming back for more ideas!!runaround

tovarich
09-27-2007, 09:27 AM
I'm encountering a similar problem with my Rover 75 Connoisseur.Random start refusal .But today I got Traction control in the computer screen on the dashboard.Can anyone tell me what could be the problem ?

tekapotig
05-05-2009, 04:34 AM
Hi Boxer Girl,
yes we too are having difficulties in starting our Rover 75. So far I have managed to ascertain that it could be-
1) Camshaft and cam sensor
2) Power steering sensor
3) Fuel transfer tank
4) Immobiliser

I am very reluctant at this stage to take it into a garage. Its like giving them a blank cheque!

Our main symptoms are that it wont start randomly and there is no telling when this could happen. Its ususally when we go shopping and the car is left for an hour or two so this would suggest it occurs when the car is warm. It starts every morning without fail.
we decided to test this one day so when we arrived back home (from an extended shopping trip) we fired her up again ---And she totally worked! It was so wierd. When we wanted it to fail it didnt!
Im lost!!! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!

headlongrush
09-18-2009, 11:27 AM
We've put up with this for over a year. We've noticed it's more likely to occur after 30 minutes and less than 2 hours of having been run. When it happens we just have to sit it out. Once we called out the AA and after a diag check he suggested a camshaft sensor might be at fault. He also indictaed after a time it usually resets itself (which is what seems to happen). He also suggested turning the engine over for more than 30 seconds might do the trick but it didn't work for us. We may have to bite the bullet and replace this sensor. If it works out we'll let you know which one and how much it cost. In the meantime, maybe a half-hour chill-out is not such a bad thing? Don't answer that, it's just wishful thinking!

kysee
06-16-2010, 05:39 PM
That's really great!
If you have a problem in your parts, I think it is a must for you to change them.

neal.blackmoor
11-05-2010, 05:59 PM
hello all,
i have seen what you have all put so i have ordered a camshaft sensor and a crankshaft sensor. as im also having problems with it not starting when hot or just even warm.... drives like nothing wrong but i cant keep going into shops with the car running as i dont want to turn it off incase it does not want to start for couple of hours...also inbarasing when i call the AA out and then it starts at the first turn of the key.....will post if it fixes my problem......:sarcasmsign:middle of next week sometime

neal.blackmoor
11-06-2010, 04:56 PM
hi every one..... i have solved my problem £70 and 5 min under the bonnet...camshaft sensor...thanks to all that posted so i could find my problem....better that a huge garage bill, do it your self.:naughty:

garyauto64
03-17-2011, 10:56 PM
Re the problem with the traction control lamp on, check the cable for the traction control is not broken, it is housed in a small unit that looks like a wiper motor unclip the cover and check the wheel does not rotate back and forward, it is connected near the throttle cable at the throttle body

BUNGY
12-28-2011, 07:50 AM
Hi all, just joined this site and this is my first post. Initially wanted answers to my Rover 75 having intermittant starting problems. Just had it down my mates garage, put it on the computer and came back with 'fuel pressure problem'. He merely tapped the secondary fuel pump (silver thing at rear of engine) and lo and behold it started! New one costs over £200 + vat so guess i will just put up with tapping it now and again till it goes altogether. This just might work for someone if they get stuck with car not starting!
Happy new year to all!!!

Gazza3101
01-05-2013, 07:33 AM
Hi, just read the threads on the rover 75 diesel starting problems, I have the same problem, I'm mechanically minded and have so far established the following.

The car starts with easy start.
The problem only occurs when the car is hot
Both pumps are working fine
Cam sensor disconnected and easy start used to prove if cam sensor working. Once cam sensor disconnected easy start starts engine but then cuts out, reconnect cam sensor and used easy start again and engine starts and runs thus proving cam sensor working and firing diesel in at correct time.
Once the car is running it idles perfectly and revs evenly throughout the range even to The red line without an issue.
Car still maintaining an average of 50 - 55 to the gallon, no loss of power with only one exception so far, pulling off from a busy roundabout, gunned it away as the roundabout was like a racetrack, when the revs got over 4000 , she cut out ? Bottom twitching moment, pulled off, pulled bonnet, tried to start, no avail, grabbed easy start, quick squirt and started and drove fine.

I do 150 miles per day driving to work and back, motorway for 90% of it, never a problem drives perfectly.

I do love the old beast and she drives great but the mot due in April and I'm undecided as to if I should bite the bullet and give up on her or persevere and do the minor work needed for the mot and continue trying to figure this out.

Any advice guys please. Many thanks
Gaz

MickRalph
02-26-2013, 12:48 PM
Hi I bought a 75 2.5 V6 a few weeks ago and have had exactly the same problem. The Camshaft Sensor is located just under the plastic engine cover on this model. This comes off with the removal of two bolts and the sensor comes out with one more and a little persuasion with a screwdriver.
I took the sensor out and gave it a quick clean,(you don't even have to disconnect it), and it has been fine since. It is only a few days since I did it but so far so good.
I am not sure how easy this is on other models but it really is worth a try for an easy fix of an incredibly frustrating problem.
If this works for just one person this hasn't been in vane.

sevensisters
03-24-2014, 12:41 PM
hi,i have just registered on this forum and will like to find out about rover 75. v6 and its common problems if it is a worth while car..i was just reading about your rover 75 and though it will be wise to find out in details about this car.. the dealer had said he is selling the car as a non runner and at a cost of 250 pounds as it is not starting .he had said he got the car as a part exchange with another of his car and decided to sell it like that without fixing it and that he does not know the problems all he knows is that the car is not starting.though the car is quite clean..about 75,000 milleage..what do you feel about this deal.also what is the general manitainance of a rover like in term of parts and maintenance. please will you advise an intending buyer to venture into buying this car?

oldandrusty
06-03-2016, 05:26 PM
Try a starter repair kit. The copper contacts wear. You can get a repair kit on ebay for less than £15. Or simply clean the contacts.:)

Add your comment to this topic!