Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Powerslides

dschwartz46
04-01-2005, 03:26 AM
I have a 98 Toyota Camry and was wondering if it is hard on the car to powerslide it. E.g., struts, chassis, wheels, etc... Thanks.

SHIFT_KA24DE
04-01-2005, 11:37 AM
manipulating the car to make it move in a direction it was NOT built for will eventually get damaged. that goes for any hard racing/driving. so yes, it will wear out parts faster but as long as you maintain/replace parts on a normal basis it should be fine.

ps... since you mentioned powerslide... and you have a camry... you're just pulling the e-brake w/ some feint action?

SabreKhan
04-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Nah, you can powerslide FWD. It just takes some skill. Flip it one way to break the tires loose, then turn the direction you want to go and modulate the throttle. It's difficult to say the least. I still can't do it smoothly, and I've practiced a lot (albeit with underpowered grocery-getters... like Camrys). It can be done, though. I know a couple of people who do it regularly for fun. FWD drift is even scarier than RWD drift.

vette_7t9
04-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Hmm sliding eh. Weight transfer is good, like in a hairpin when you enter from slight left turn into hard right or vice versa. That situation you have massiv weight transfer chances. Another is to sudden brake to disrupt the balance of the weight to the front and outside tire entering a turn so the car slides. I don't race, but i gun around backroads often enough. Just don't take my word for it and hurt yourself. =)

tr0ike
04-03-2005, 07:27 PM
There's really only two ways to slide a FWD car, in my experience:

on dirt ... quite easy, you can LFB / heel-toe to get the rear out, and/or use the E-brake

One time on asphalt in a FWD civic, I hit an ~120 degree angle turn
(i.e. driving straight, like up on the screen, then turned onto a street angled a bit sharper than / ) at quite a bit of speed, enough to break the stock tires loose a tiny bit, swung the rear out a tad, countersteered to control it.

Search for those "Arab Drifter" videos to see some crazy FWD sliding action ... great way to kill your car.

SHIFT_KA24DE
04-04-2005, 05:37 PM
since when was it legal to use "FWD" and "drift" in the same sentence.......

2of9
04-12-2005, 10:28 PM
hahahha...i hope he meant it in SNOW conditions because thats one of the many ways to powerslide in a FF car. Anyways, powersliding is fun with no counter steering if done correctly!

GSRtrackside
06-25-2005, 02:17 AM
camry? is this your ''race car'' of choice? And you want to powerslide it? Im not sure why but if you want to do it for fun or if your trying to find out....I have power slided my teg FR drivetrain, I basically was driving in the canyons with my buddies on practice round, and my friend with an MR2 took off without the Go, it pissed me off, becasue we were suppost to ''practice'' so i was pissed. I took off to catch him but he was way ahead already so i took my car to the max. HERES where the POER SLIDE came in. I basically went high speed through and trun and braked to maintain grip but i was goin waaaayy too fast for the turn and i turned the wheel to quik and then i heard the wheels sqeeeel. i was in a '' 4 wheel drift'' and was going about 75MPH around a 25 degree turn. this was in a canyon run , it was crazy. but i made it alive and could not catch the mr2

mr_tw
06-30-2005, 05:42 PM
tires yes but the reast of you car not really, sus you may have to work on like 10 or 20k soone, but nothing major, engine brakes and tires tho i drift my 1990 taurus by weight transfer, all ya gotta do is give the brakes a quick shot on corner entry, and presto no weight on the back tires and ur sideways (you need lots of speed tho)

uranium235powered
07-09-2005, 03:55 PM
I have power slided my teg FR drivetrain

Integras are FF, noob.

Ridenour
07-09-2005, 10:36 PM
Integras are FF, noob.

:owned:

Chiquae07
08-30-2005, 09:16 PM
integras are FF. i do powerslide with my Sentra. its fun since its the SE with the sport suspension. Ive realized that if i downshift the car into 1st or 2nd, i can spin the tires and take 90 degree turns with no problem @ about 40mph-55mph, without e-braking it. Its pretty easy.

Vtec95Civic
09-05-2005, 12:34 AM
Powersliding a FWD car is easy, albeit scary if you do it with too much speed. I do it in my civic all the time, just because I love that whistling sound the tires make. All you really have to do is go a little too far when turning and then just crank it.

MackM
12-28-2005, 03:51 PM
since when was it legal to use "FWD" and "drift" in the same sentence.......

Just so you guys know, on asfalt RWD is a lot better then FWD, obviously we all know that. But as for snow or light gravel, FWD is more effective.

Thats why 4WD is best for rallies, because it satisfies both needs, asfalt and gravel\snow.

beef_bourito
12-30-2005, 11:31 PM
it's hard on alot of things, everything's going to wear out faster because you're putting more stress. like when you're powersliding and you're fighting with the steering, that's straining the power steering more than normal. when you go into turns at high speeds you're applying more force to come of the suspension parts so they're strained more than normal.

As for how to do it more easily, tighten everything up in the back, springs, shocks, sway bars, make everything as stiff as possible. this will make it uncomfortable to drive but it will handle better and be easier to powerslide without handbrake. also get crappy tires in the back so that you don't ruin your good ones and you'll also have less grip in the back so it'll make it easier. but chances are that you don't care much about racing (because you're trying to powerslide) so don't bother modifying your car, just get crap ass tires in the back and have fun.

CBFryman
01-08-2006, 01:42 PM
a power slide takes power. a power slide is intiating a drift because of power breaking traction. a power slide cannot be done in anything but a RWD vehicle w/ POWER.

if you have a lot of power in a FWD vheicle and brake traction in a corner because of power you will understeer and go straight ahead.

AWD will do similar

RWD, the front should stay planted or more planted than the rear, this causes the rear to swing out, ie OVERSTEER.

anonamys1000
10-06-2009, 03:18 AM
i drive a 99 FWD honda accord, an i powerslide for fun, a definition of powerslide is using the momentum (power) of your car to carry you through a corner with a loss of traction. when i pull my e-brake through a 90 degree corner causing my rear tires to lock up, causing the back end of my car to lose traction causing me to use the power/potential energy/momentum to carry me through the corner. powerslide

Add your comment to this topic!