Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Astro Rear Door Wont Open Help!

whiting wade
03-15-2005, 10:53 PM
I have a 95 Astro van that the rear door wont open. I could probably repair it if there was someone who could tell me how to open it, The outside handle just flops back and forth like a lever fell off. I cant get the inside panel off without the door being open. The only thing that I can think of is to drive the pins from the outside hinges. There has to be an easier way. Someone please HELP!

wysguy
03-24-2005, 10:17 AM
I have a 95 Astro van that the rear door wont open. I could probably repair it if there was someone who could tell me how to open it, The outside handle just flops back and forth like a lever fell off. I cant get the inside panel off without the door being open. The only thing that I can think of is to drive the pins from the outside hinges. There has to be an easier way. Someone please HELP!

I HAVE SIMILAR PROBLEM WITH 94 SAFARI. To get to the mechanisms inside the door, you have to drill out the two fastener holding the door mechanism to the sheet metal. These are the two round headless bolts. Drill them out with a quarter inch drill bit to about quarter of an inch deep. Use center punch to ensure the hole is drill right on center. You may punch out the remaining threaded portion of the bolt aftre you get past the sheet metal.
Pull the handle mechanism off and locate the llinkage which controls the lock and push upward to open the lock. The door should open.

Good luck!

03-28-2005, 03:17 PM
i had the same problem. you should be able to use a flat head screw driver to open the door, then unsrew the door handle cover, lubricate the moving parts and change the hadle. i drove around for 4 months openning my rear door with a screw driver 10 times a day. i bought the new door handle at gm for $80 cndn.

gogomikey01
09-01-2005, 08:06 AM
i had the same problem. you should be able to use a flat head screw driver to open the door, then unsrew the door handle cover, lubricate the moving parts and change the hadle. i drove around for 4 months openning my rear door with a screw driver 10 times a day. i bought the new door handle at gm for $80 cndn.
Where did you insert the flat head screw driver to open the door? I have a '90 with the same problem and can't get the inside panel off.

tamscat
11-12-2005, 12:34 AM

Same problem here and now really need to get rear doors open as the drivers side tail light is out, have the bulb to replace but can't get to it w/o door open, ugh. straight slot driver, where do you use it? top of doors? bottom? from outside of van ? or from the inside?

thank youfor the help, husband too busy last 2 yrs to fix this.

ALSTRO1
01-08-2006, 04:07 AM
if you can get your rear door panel off, then you can get to the rods the open the back door, just follow the handle and mess with the rods there is a locking mechanism that locks on the bottom(on dutch doors) but if you have the bakers doors there should be a rod that unlokcs the top and the bottom...good luck

Rupesy
01-14-2006, 12:40 AM
I have to replace that stinking handle about every nine months. I just remove the inside panel and feel around for the linkage that opens the door. The door handle costs between $60-$70.

Add your comment to this topic!