Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How different are the turbo/ non-turbos

dgoebelt
03-15-2005, 12:02 AM
I'm interested in getting a 93-96 2+2 and am wondering how different the basic engine components are between the turbo and non. How difficult would it be to upgrade a N/A with stock turbo parts? Thanks

Zgringo
03-15-2005, 12:14 AM
I'm interested in getting a 93-96 2+2 and am wondering how different the basic engine components are between the turbo and non. How difficult would it be to upgrade a N/A with stock turbo parts? Thanks
Just so you don't get flamed too bad, look above this post and you'll see some red important writing. Look for the one that says TwinTurbo swap and read it, then come back and ask all you like.
The difference is night and day in the power dept., but handling 'bout the same.

DeleriousZ
03-15-2005, 01:10 AM
wow dude seriouly... if there's STICKIES in a forums that says "NEWBIES: READ THIS" read it!!!! and in it it says do a SEARCH.... it's there for a reason!!!!

ARGH:banghead::banghead::banghead:

dgoebelt
03-15-2005, 11:04 AM
I apologize, I did a search and didn't come up with what I was looking for. I'm not asking about an engine swap though. What I'm asking is if the engines are similar enough to simply add the turbos to the N/A engine and what other modifications would need to be made to the stock N/A engine to accomodate this improvement.

Thanks for your patience with someone who knows more about diesel than gas engines.

Hodo
03-15-2005, 11:53 AM
Ok to answer your question there is a bit of difference between the two engines. mainly in the engine itself. This has been all covered in the stickies above. But I will continue.

TT engines or the VG30DETT is the basic same block as the VG30DE, with a few more oil ports added for the turbos, but otherwise the same. The pistons are where everything changes the VG30DETT runs a 8.0:1 compression I belive and the VG30DE runs a 10.5:1. So tapping for oil ports and slapping a pair of stock TT turbos on the the VG30DE would be a bad thing. Then there are the heads, the TT heads are ported differently for waterjacket cooling and such and are non-swapable between the two blocks. This two is mainly for the turbos survivablity. Then we come to the bolted on parts, of course you know the exhaust system is different the TT has down pipes and such and no real headers, also the TT has larger fuel injectors than the NA this is a given. the intake piping is of course different but I am sure you knew that too.

I hope that helped a bit, after most of the internal things the engines are the same, but so different.

Add your comment to this topic!