500 Horsepower Nissan Skyline GT-R to Make Speed World Challenge Debut

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

igor@af
03-13-2005, 06:58 PM
<center><b>UPDATE: <a href="http://files.automotiveforums.com/media/main.php/v/AFGT-RN1/AutomotiveForumscom2004-2005/video/gtrn1streetsofwillow.wmv.html"><font color="red">Video of the GT-R N1 on the track</font></a> is now available for download!</b></center>

Automobile Maniac
03-13-2005, 08:37 PM
Thought I was watching a GT4 replay for a second :biggrin:. But then I remembered, hey this is real! Very cool.

Zachp911
03-13-2005, 09:06 PM
Congrats, awesome car!

jcsaleen
03-13-2005, 09:06 PM
amazing and thats simply stateing it.....

Layla's Keeper
03-13-2005, 10:39 PM
Looks to be fighting a push, but certainly good form. No roll, clean in corner transitions, and obviously able to pick up in the throttle after the apex.

Top 15's maybe?

jcsaleen
03-14-2005, 02:31 PM
Top 15's maybe?

out of?

My guess top 10 outa 30.

blackcomet
03-14-2005, 03:24 PM
good luck with that skyline project..thast really sick, its not everyday u find a skyline like that, or one at all lol

03-14-2005, 04:40 PM
I applaud you for getting into real motorsport. It is nice to see one of these large forum members do something other than these pointless and ridiculous show cars and "street racers." In fact it is the reason I just registered.

Anyway, I've been racing in the SCCA for almost 5 years myself and have driven a decent variety of racecars. My question is what experience have you had racing that you think you will be able to handle a 500hp racecar on some of the most demanding tracks in the world? Testing at Willow on a free test-day is one thing (I've had many races there myself), but being able to safely stay on pace with walls all around you at Infineon or Road Atlanta in the midst of a raging pack of Speed-GT cars with many highly-experienced drivers is another thing. It's very easy to put your car into a wall at places like those and a hard impact in a state-of-the-art Skyline will costs tens-of-thousands to repair. It may have been a better idea to start in a slower racing level...even Speed Touring Car is an extremely fast place for a novice to start. Don't mean to be negative, but I thought I might offer some alternate perspectives.

edit: I watched your video...you were on the streets of willow...thing is not really a real track. More like an auto-x course w/out cones. Go on the real track and feel the terror as you go through 8 and 9 with a 500hp car.

Again, congratulations and best of luck on your new venture.

In re: the PTG question. They definitely will not be participating in Speed GT. They already might have bitten off more than they can chew by fielding 4 cars this year; their 2 classic BMW-Financial cars plus 2 F1 Air sponsored cars. Last year they were dominant so they might have come in a little overly cocky and running all 4 cars and maintaining the same reliability has proven a real problem.

driftmaster200
03-14-2005, 05:14 PM
How did you aquire the GTR? With only a handfull left im sure it was a bit of luck.

Tiger Racing
03-14-2005, 06:54 PM
My guess top 10 outa 30.

Based on what? What kind of times are you assuming the GT cars are going to do this year? What do you think the Skyline can do?

I think it's great that a new team is coming to World Challenge and admit that I don't have a clue what it's capable of, but then, I'm not at all sure what to expect from the usual suspects this year. There has been a rules shake up and we haven't seen the results yet. Sebring is going to be an interesting race.

Who was the test driver on the Streets? Who is slated to race it next year?

C.

jcsaleen
03-14-2005, 09:59 PM
The GTR is a great car and is very very deadly in the rain (with attesa on) and would knock half of the comp off immediatly.

Based on normal Scca cars like audi's etc. My neighbor Does scca and lmp as well as many other types of racing.

Layla's Keeper
03-14-2005, 10:11 PM
Top tens seem a little overly optimistic to me, too.

Think about the competition.

Stu Hayner and the GMAC Pontiac GTO.
Tommy Archer and Bob Woodhouse in Viper Competition Coupes.
Leighton Reese in a C6 Corvette.
Andy Pilgrim, Max Angelelli, and Mad Max Papis in Cadillac CTS-V's.
Phil McClure and David Farmer in Z06 Vettes.
Derek Bell and the factory Volvo S60-R.

That's ten cars right there and that's not including the plethora of Porsche 911's, Vettes, BMW M3's, and so on that will undoubtedly contest this season. GT is ridiculously competitive and there are several more cars on deck for this season that'll be showing up; the new generation of 911's, new Mustangs, more C6 Corvettes, and so on down the list.

If AF can get the R34 into striking distance of the top tier (hence, top fifteen), then it'll be a major accomplishment as a first-year team.

03-14-2005, 10:28 PM
Top tens seem a little overly optimistic to me, too.

Think about the competition.

That's ten cars right there and that's not including the plethora of Porsche 911's, Vettes, BMW M3's, and so on that will undoubtedly contest this season. GT is ridiculously competitive and there are several more cars on deck for this season that'll be showing up; the new generation of 911's, new Mustangs, more C6 Corvettes, and so on down the list.

If AF can get the R34 into striking distance of the top tier (hence, top fifteen), then it'll be a major accomplishment as a first-year team.

Exactly, especially considering you have about 10 world-class drivers and about 20 other professional drivers who are frightingly fast. In the opening SCCA SoCal region race a fast driver in an E36 325i car is that relatively stock was out-pacing an EVO MR and a 350Z by 7 seconds, which is simply a laughable amount. If you're running 2 seconds slower than pole you're considered slow. And that gap increased when it rained because driver skill was at a premium...so you had some 325i out-pacing an AWD Evo by nearly 10 seconds. People have to realize that you need more than a great car to win. Almost everyone will have a great. You also need a fast driver and someone who is an expert at setting up a car. Changing the sway-bar settings alone on my low-powered race car can make it a totally different car. When you get to Speed-GT level you have to be changing gear ratio, springs, shock setting, etc. for every different track.

SkylineUSA
03-15-2005, 01:04 AM
Igor,

Do you guys need anything?

drvngstorm05
03-15-2005, 01:14 AM
placing in the upper tier is very optimistic... those CTS-V's are beasts, not to mention all the other GM cars out there (GTO and Z06).

anyone know if there is going to be a c6 vette competing?

jcsaleen
03-15-2005, 06:33 AM

The S60R wont be a problem and the GTo doesnt impress me a holden with a tid bit more power.

Tiger Racing
03-15-2005, 02:10 PM

Lou Giglotti is running a few C6s and some teams are running ZO6s. Here's the season entry list:

http://www.world-challenge.com/2005/entrylist-gt.html

C.

Tiger Racing
03-15-2005, 02:50 PM
The S60R wont be a problem and the GTo doesnt impress me a holden with a tid bit more power.

Does Tommy Archer in the Viper impress you? McClure or the McCann brothers? How' bout Leighton Reese or Lou Giglotti in Corvettes? Robin Liddell or Wolf Henzler in the Porches? Max Papis or Andy Pilgrim in Cadillacs? Pobst and Galati taking a break from GT open up a couple of spots in the top 15, but we can assume that Cadillac will again bring in drivers like Fellows, Heinricy and O'Connell throughout the season.

The GTR is a great car and is very very deadly in the rain (with attesa on) and would knock half of the comp off immediatly.

The Skyline VTS is a blank mystery and I haven't heard a whisper about who might be driving it next season. However, you weren't saying that the GTR could run mid-pack. You claimed top 10 and I'm still wondering what specific evidence you are basing that on.

Based on normal Scca cars like audi's etc.

Audi isn't racing this season and, again, we still don't have a clue how World Challenge cars are going to perform in 2005 (let alone 2006), but are you really saying that you are certain the Skyline can pull off 2:16s at Road America in World Challenge trim? You couldn't possibly be claiming that they can do 2:14s like the Audis did last year. Could you?

C.

Layla's Keeper
03-15-2005, 04:35 PM
The Pontiac GTO doesn't impress you because "It's a Holden with a little bit more power."? Well, the Skyline GTR is a Nissan Skyline coupe with two turbos and AWD. Guess it's not too much of a car either.

But, let's actually consider the #5 Autosport Development GMAC Pontiac GTO. It's campaigned by Stu Hayner - multi-winner in Trans Am and considered one of the top privateer road racers in America. The team is Hayner's personal team that campaigned his Trans-Am cars and is merged with Chili Pepper Racing for '05 (the BMW team that top Touring contenders Jim Osborn and Ken Dobson). Jim Osborn will be driving a second GTO for the team.

This is a powerful team, and they only scored three 15th's (Mid-Ohio, Mosport, and Laguna Seca), a 13th (Road America), and an 11th (Portland).

The S60R you said "won't be a problem" is a factory car driven by DEREK FREAKIN BELL. You know, 6 time Le Mans winner, 3 time Daytona 24 hour winner, 1983 AND 1985 World Endurance Champion Derek Bell. There are only two sports car/touring car aces you could put in that GTR that would hold a candle to Bell (who aren't already under someone's contract) and they're Boris Said and Hans Stuck.

Jeez, I want the AF GTR to succeed as much as the next guy, but as Hollfelder up there will tell you (Tiger Racing campaigns two Ford Mustangs in Speed World Challenge GT, they know exactly how tough the competition is) it's an uphill battle without factory support or backing and without the SCCA's blessing.

And, speaking as someone who's been around the SCCA since early childhood, it's hard to get the SCCA's blessing on anything Japanese, turbocharged, or all-wheel drive. The only Japanese cars SCCA fans like are BRE Datsuns (JMA baby!), the SCCA folks have hated turbos in the 917/30, and AWD since Audi walked over Trans-Am and IMSA GTO in the 80's.

SkylineUSA
03-15-2005, 05:17 PM
And, speaking as someone who's been around the SCCA since early childhood, it's hard to get the SCCA's blessing on anything Japanese, turbocharged, or all-wheel drive. The only Japanese cars SCCA fans like are BRE Datsuns (JMA baby!), the SCCA folks have hated turbos in the 917/30, and AWD since Audi walked over Trans-Am and IMSA GTO in the 80's.

Screw technology, lets make sure all cars run the same chassis, engine, gears, suspension, body, etc...That will make a forms of racing fun.....Not

If they can't beat them, ban them. Godzilla.

Dreamspawn
03-15-2005, 05:23 PM
Here are some decent goals i think.

AF guys go out there and promote the car pick up some good sponsers and make a decent showing. Top 20-15.

Some guys may look at the car and go hey that has potential and pick up a driver that has a name for himslef like boris said or possibly somebody that has expiernce with these cars a Japanese driver?

Then from there just take it little by little. Maybe cathing the eye of Nissian/Ifinite pick up a factory back ride in 2007/2008 when the new gtr hits. Think bout it b4 u blast me just saying hypothetically. They go out and make a good show for the next year or 2 on a car that is over 4years old now. Nissian/Ifinite knows the GTR has a name in america but not many have seen it in racing action wouldn't it be a nice way to promote the new car. In a competative series that gets plenty of air coverage.

Ne how Good luck and lets go kick some A**

Layla's Keeper
03-15-2005, 05:27 PM
Screw technology, lets make sure all cars run the same chassis, engine, gears, suspension, body, etc...

You mean like CART Champ Cars?

The SCCA is allowing forced induction into Touring this year for the first year because three manufacturers have stepped forwards with contingency or proposed factory efforts (Mini Cooper S, Subaru WRX, SRT-4). The only reason the SCCA said yes was because they've discovered a way to monitor and seal the boost levels on each car in a failproof way.

The SCCA has never hid its distaste for anything that wasn't a small British roadster (after all, the organization was founded by primarily MG TC owners). They also pride themselves on the close competition of the Speed World Challenge. Between the VTS, the mid-season spec adjustments, the spec rear wing and tires, and the penalty weight, they've created a series where any well prepared, well driven car can win. They won't allow anyone to tromp in and dominate without paying their dues, especially not (and I'm not accusing Igor of this since he hasn't shown this attitude) a bunch of cocky wiseass tuners who think that a 4wd sport tuned luxury coupe from Japan is the hottest shit this side of a Mexican restaraunt.

You want the GTR to win. Good, great place to start. But don't think for a second it's going to be easy. Japan MAKES it easy for the Skyline GTR to win (the car hasn't had an honest win in honest competition since 1973) and now that a good team is taking the car outside Japan to take on the WORLD'S BEST SPORTS CARS it's put up or shut up time.

Dreamspawn
03-15-2005, 05:36 PM
What are they using to monitor/seal boost going with a restrictor thing kinda like the FIA with WRC?

Layla's Keeper
03-15-2005, 05:42 PM
http://www.speedvisionwc.com/news/04press93.html

That's the Speed World Challenge press release regarding forced induction in Touring. I'd believe the same system is used in GT.

03-15-2005, 06:10 PM
I'm sorry, but Derek Bell is no longer one of the top road-racing drivers in the world. He was at one time, but no longer is. You can see it by the sliding quality of his rides and his performance. However, people should take the point that unless they hire a pro to race their car probably won't go beyond the first turn let alone be competitive.

Anyway, since it costs about 300-500k minimum to run a full season of GT I think placing in the top 20 is the least of their worries.

jcsaleen
03-15-2005, 09:22 PM
Does Tommy Archer in the Viper impress you? McClure or the McCann brothers? How' bout Leighton Reese or Lou Giglotti in Corvettes? Robin Liddell or Wolf Henzler in the Porches? Max Papis or Andy Pilgrim in Cadillacs? Pobst and Galati taking a break from GT open up a couple of spots in the top 15, but we can assume that Cadillac will again bring in drivers like Fellows, Heinricy and O'Connell throughout the season.

The Skyline VTS is a blank mystery and I haven't heard a whisper about who might be driving it next season. However, you weren't saying that the GTR could run mid-pack. You claimed top 10 and I'm still wondering what specific evidence you are basing that on.

Ha the vipers and the vettes lol everytime I flip on speed I always see one of em getting into an accident or overshooting a turn. lol The vipers are the only comp besides the bmw's.

Layla's Keeper
03-15-2005, 09:45 PM
Ha the vipers and the vettes lol everytime I flip on speed I always see one of em getting into an accident or overshooting a turn. lol The vipers are the only comp besides the bmw's.

:screwy: :screwy: :screwy: :screwy:

Okay, here's the GT races from last year with their winners and the cars.

Sebring - Max Angelelli/Cadillac CTS-V
Lime Rock - Randy Pobst/Audi RS6
Mid Ohio - Michael Galati/Audi RS6
Sears Point - Wolf Henzler/Porsche 911GT3 Cup
Portland - Tommy Archer/Dodge Viper Competition Coupe
Mosport Race 1 - Michael Galati/Audi RS6
Mosport Race 2 - Ron Fellows/Cadillac CTS-V
Road America - Michael Galati/Audi RS6
Road Atlanta - Max Angelelli/Cadillac CTS-V
Laguna Seca - Wolf Henzler/Porsche 911GT3 Cup

GT Series champion 2004 - Tommy Archer/Viper Competition Coupe
GT Series Manufacturer's Champion - Audi

Final points standings

1 Tommy Archer, Dodge Viper
2 Michael Galati, Audi RS 6
3 Max Angelelli, Cadillac CTS-V
4 Randy Pobst, Audi RS 6
5 Andy Pilgrim, Cadillac CTS-V
6 Phil McClure, Corvette Z06
7 Mike McCann(R), Dodge Viper
8 Leighton Reese, Corvette Z06
9 Tim Wiens, Dodge Viper
10 Lou Gigliotti, Corvette Z06

There isn't a BMW in the points until Jeff McMillin in the 27th spot. Save for the Autosport GTO and John Young's Saleen SR, everything from 1 to 26 in the points is either an Audi, a Porsche, a Viper, a Vette, or a Caddy.

Now, tell me again. Who's the threat?

Tiger Racing
03-15-2005, 11:39 PM

Um... when was the last time you actually watched a World Challenge race? As has been posted, Tommy Archer won the Championship in 2004 in a Viper. I believe he finished every race. As for any of the other cars having off track excursions and incidents, well considering the fact that Vettes and Vipers made up half the field at every race, it would be quite a mystery if you didn't see at least one or two of them misplace a wheel at each event.

And when did you see any competitive BMWs run last year? While you were watching the non-existent Bimmers racing around, did you happen to catch a glimpse of any of those guys that I mentioned driving Porches and Caddies? I notice that you didn't comment on them in your dismissive post. You also didn't have much to say about how you can be so certain of a car's performance when it doesn't even have a VTS to compare against any of the known quantities of recent years.

I do applaud your loyalty though.

C.

03-16-2005, 12:46 AM
:screwy: :screwy: :screwy: :screwy:

Okay, here's the GT races from last year with their winners and the cars.

Sebring - Max Angelelli/Cadillac CTS-V
Lime Rock - Randy Pobst/Audi RS6
Mid Ohio - Michael Galati/Audi RS6
Sears Point - Wolf Henzler/Porsche 911GT3 Cup
Portland - Tommy Archer/Dodge Viper Competition Coupe
Mosport Race 1 - Michael Galati/Audi RS6
Mosport Race 2 - Ron Fellows/Cadillac CTS-V
Road America - Michael Galati/Audi RS6
Road Atlanta - Max Angelelli/Cadillac CTS-V
Laguna Seca - Wolf Henzler/Porsche 911GT3 Cup

GT Series champion 2004 - Tommy Archer/Viper Competition Coupe
GT Series Manufacturer's Champion - Audi

Final points standings

1 Tommy Archer, Dodge Viper
2 Michael Galati, Audi RS 6
3 Max Angelelli, Cadillac CTS-V
4 Randy Pobst, Audi RS 6
5 Andy Pilgrim, Cadillac CTS-V
6 Phil McClure, Corvette Z06
7 Mike McCann(R), Dodge Viper
8 Leighton Reese, Corvette Z06
9 Tim Wiens, Dodge Viper
10 Lou Gigliotti, Corvette Z06

There isn't a BMW in the points until Jeff McMillin in the 27th spot. Save for the Autosport GTO and John Young's Saleen SR, everything from 1 to 26 in the points is either an Audi, a Porsche, a Viper, a Vette, or a Caddy.

Now, tell me again. Who's the threat?

lol, jcsaleen is fairly clueless...I've seen him post on another board. No response is necessary. jcsaleen isn't even a bimmer fan so his comments are a mystery.

The PTG M3s have been dominant in Grand Am, but with all the big bore cars in Speed GT, which is more like GTS, the car isn't suited for the class, especially without factory support. The glory days of the M3 GTR are behind us. It's funny that they banned the M3 GTR, but then they let Caddy produce a CTS racecar with almost zero resemblance at all to the stock car. Actually, it's not, SCCA will always bend the rules for whomever is bribing them the most. The 3-series has been dominant in TC too. So, while GT has been dry for them for a couple years they're still having great success.

Someone said something about Derek Bell regaining his competitiveness in the Volvo. lol, lets get a grip, he's not getting any younger and Volvos have been notoriously weak platforms even with factory support.

Laylas Keeper-your solution is nice for anyone who doesn't get physically nauseous from watching oval let alone open-wheel winged oval. Hopefully both series will ultimately survive and prosper.

SkylineUSA
03-16-2005, 01:10 AM
Tiger Racing,

You guys are running this?
Tiger Racing

The Ford Mustang by Tiger Racing is geared towards people who may have disabilities, but certainly have no limitations. With features based on the hot-rod theme of 60s-style muscle cars, this all-new Mustang combines a retro appearance with modern day technologies.

Base Vehicle
2005 Ford Mustang GT Coupe Deluxe

Engine
4.6-liter 3-valve V-8
Powertrain
5-speed automatic transmission
Vortech V2S supercharger
Bassani Xhaust
Baumann Electronic Controls Baumannator transmission control system
Tractech differential

Chassis
Stoptech brakes
HPM chassis and suspension upgrade
Koni coil over shocks
Eibach springs

Wheels & Tires
MOMO wheels
Toyo Performance tires

Exterior
Classic Design Concepts Glassback roof
Classic Design Concepts front chin spoiler
Classic Design Concepts hood scoop and quarter scoops
BASF Paint applied by Auto Kraft

Interior
Ford Intelligent Vehicle Technologies cameras, custom gauge cluster and viewing screen
Nartron Invisible Shield window safety package
Cobra seats by Sube Sport with Katzkin covers
Schroth harnesses provided by HMS Motorsport
Brake/throttle hand controls by Mobility Products & Design

Created By
Tiger Racing
Covina, CA
www.Tiger-Racing.com

Very nice, I am in the process of getting a 2005, good luck to you guys.

Tiger Racing
03-16-2005, 11:51 AM
Tiger Racing,

You guys are running this?
Tiger Racing

The Ford Mustang by Tiger Racing is geared towards people who may have disabilities, but certainly have no limitations. With features based on the hot-rod theme of 60s-style muscle cars, this all-new Mustang combines a retro appearance with modern day technologies.

I've been outed again! Yup, that's our 2005 Mustang show car. It's been touring with Ford Mobility Motoring and has been in Ford's booth at a number of the auto shows this year and was at SEMA last year. The car will be in New York next week. Our World Challenge GT car is a 2003 Mustang

Very nice, I am in the process of getting a 2005, good luck to you guys.

Thank you, thank you and have fun with yours! They're beautiful cars.

C.

SkylineUSA
03-16-2005, 02:49 PM
I've been outed again! Yup, that's our 2005 Mustang show car. It's been touring with Ford Mobility Motoring and has been in Ford's booth at a number of the auto shows this year and was at SEMA last year. The car will be in New York next week. Our World Challenge GT car is a 2003 Mustang

Thank you, thank you and have fun with yours! They're beautiful cars.

C.

That car is sharp!

http://www.tiger-racing.com/images/05_rt_decals.jpg

I am a Ford Guy, you can tell by my signature :D

blackcomet
03-16-2005, 05:54 PM
that is one hell of a nice mustang!!lol

tyndago
03-16-2005, 07:51 PM
Looks to be fighting a push, but certainly good form. No roll, clean in corner transitions, and obviously able to pick up in the throttle after the apex.

Top 15's maybe?

You can tell that a car is fighting a push from 60 seconds of spliced together footage ?

Most vehicles inheriently understeer, the GT-R is not most vehicles

Any spectulation of finishing positions is pointless. We dont have any expected results, but are looking forward to the possibilities.

tyndago
03-16-2005, 08:01 PM
I
edit: I watched your video...you were on the streets of willow...thing is not really a real track. More like an auto-x course w/out cones. Go on the real track and feel the terror as you go through 8 and 9 with a 500hp car..

We could have run the car on the big track at Willow, but I wanted the first test to be low and slow.

New car, new driver, right hand drive, new track, new team.

Just a first test. First we must walk before we can run.

We brought over Tetsuo Suzuki from Shift Japan. He has ran R34 GT-R's for Falken in Super Taikyu and 24 hour Nurburgring. He has helped us out extensively with the setup of the car ,and will continue to help us with the setup of the car.

Dreamspawn
03-16-2005, 08:08 PM
How are the guys going along with shifting with the left hand? Or is just somthing that naturally take to? Do u know if they are considering on running a japnese driver sombody that has expiernence with teh car or a simular car? thanks Sean

tyndago
03-16-2005, 08:11 PM
those CTS-V's are beasts, not to mention all the other GM cars out there (GTO and Z06).

The CTS-V's are beasts. The SCCA tries their best to regulate the cars so that the racing is close.

So far today in practice the quick car was Wolf Henzler followed by Tommy Archer and then I think the Caddies. We didnt hear all the times.

Henzler did a 2:11.xx. Archer was at 2:12.xx. Tommorow is qualifying so we will see really how the times go.

C6's. Yes there are a couple of C6's. Couple of C5's. Speaking of which. I thought that the Caddy and Vette were running the same motor this year. They sound very, very different. The Vette screams, the Caddy is thumpy.

tyndago
03-16-2005, 08:17 PM
Audi isn't racing this season and, again, we still don't have a clue how World Challenge cars are going to perform in 2005 (let alone 2006), but are you really saying that you are certain the Skyline can pull off 2:16s at Road America in World Challenge trim? You couldn't possibly be claiming that they can do 2:14s like the Audis did last year. Could you?

No Road America this year. Scheduling conflicts.

As far as times the car runs. We are currently working with the SCCA on the VTS. We came out to Sebring to get a feel for the races and see how the event is run. We have had a little bit of time to talk to SCCA about what the car is.

2005 is for testing. We will see what happens in 2006.

tyndago
03-16-2005, 08:21 PM
How are the guys going along with shifting with the left hand? Or is just somthing that naturally take to? Do u know if they are considering on running a japnese driver sombody that has expiernence with teh car or a simular car? thanks Sean

It was Igors first time driving a right hand drive car.

Personally - I have been driving GT-Rs in the US since 1999. I worked at Motorex 1999-2002. Its really not hard to shift with either hand. If you can pick things up with either hand- you have enough coordination.

igor@af
03-16-2005, 08:21 PM
I applaud you for getting into real motorsport. It is nice to see one of these large forum members do something other than these pointless and ridiculous show cars and "street racers." In fact it is the reason I just registered.

Anyway, I've been racing in the SCCA for almost 5 years myself and have driven a decent variety of racecars. My question is what experience have you had racing that you think you will be able to handle a 500hp racecar on some of the most demanding tracks in the world? Testing at Willow on a free test-day is one thing (I've had many races there myself), but being able to safely stay on pace with walls all around you at Infineon or Road Atlanta in the midst of a raging pack of Speed-GT cars with many highly-experienced drivers is another thing. It's very easy to put your car into a wall at places like those and a hard impact in a state-of-the-art Skyline will costs tens-of-thousands to repair. It may have been a better idea to start in a slower racing level...even Speed Touring Car is an extremely fast place for a novice to start. Don't mean to be negative, but I thought I might offer some alternate perspectives.

edit: I watched your video...you were on the streets of willow...thing is not really a real track. More like an auto-x course w/out cones. Go on the real track and feel the terror as you go through 8 and 9 with a 500hp car.

Again, congratulations and best of luck on your new venture.

I am very happy to see race drivers participate in this public debate and I appreciate your time and interest.

Concerning my experience -

First, I want to point out that the primary reason for the entry into World Challenge in '06 rather than this season is for driver development. I will have a full time program in place to ensure my success as the driver including a full season of Endurance Karting, lots of testing in the GT-R, and sedan/coupe racing as well.

I have attended Jim Hall Kart Racing School for one week and graduated with great marks - top laps at 0.25 second behind Chief Instructor and National Shifter Kart Champion Eric Shutte.

I have spent a considerable amount of one-on-one time with 2-time Le Mans Champion Roland E. Linder, including track time and mentoring. He is extremely confident in my abilities and I have his full support. We maintain regular contact.

At Bondurant, I was as fast as a more experienced and current Grand-Am GT Class driver, graduating the program with very good marks.

I also want to mention that I have considerable experience handling the AF 350Z - http://www.automotiveforums.com/350z/ , which is putting out around 375 to the wheels.

I look forward to driving the GT-R and am confident in my abilities to deliver.

blackcomet
03-16-2005, 09:00 PM
you mentioned going to kart school and I was curious while you were on that topic. Even here in Canada there are a lot of those schools, I was just curious if it was just a place to get better at racing or is it like when you get out you get some sort of license to race in certain racing leagues or somethin??

03-16-2005, 11:11 PM
I am very happy to see race drivers participate in this public debate and I appreciate your time and interest.

Concerning my experience -

First, I want to point out that the primary reason for the entry into World Challenge in '06 rather than this season is for driver development. I will have a full time program in place to ensure my success as the driver including a full season of Endurance Karting, lots of testing in the GT-R, and sedan/coupe racing as well.

I have attended Jim Hall Kart Racing School for one week and graduated with great marks - top laps at 0.25 second behind Chief Instructor and National Shifter Kart Champion Eric Shutte.

I have spent a considerable amount of one-on-one time with 2-time Le Mans Champion Roland E. Linder, including track time and mentoring. He is extremely confident in my abilities and I have his full support. We maintain regular contact.

At Bondurant, I was as fast as a more experienced and current Grand-Am GT Class driver, graduating the program with very good marks.

I also want to mention that I have considerable experience handling the AF 350Z - http://www.automotiveforums.com/350z/ , which is putting out around 375 to the wheels.

I look forward to driving the GT-R and am confident in my abilities to deliver.

Good, it's nice to see that you have some experience. I've done karting myself and it's somewhat helpful for learning to left-foot brake, but it's more geared toward preparing yourself for a formula car. Driving a formula car and driving a sedan are totally different worlds, which I'm sure you know.

My suggestion would be to enter your car in as many SoCal and NorCal regional races as possible. Drive with the engine detuned to save wear on the car and just get used to driving it in real races, especially traffic. Obviously you'll be testing all the different setups so you'll learn what fits you best. Make sure and get some test days in the rain. I could write pages more, but if you really have experienced mentors they'll be telling you the same things as I'd be writing, which essentially amounts to the critical needs for absolutely huge amounts of seat time if you want to survive the experience of world-champion pilots lapping you.

I'm at the track often so we might collide sometime...I usually bring crates of Redline Oil too so if you need some let me know.

03-16-2005, 11:20 PM
you mentioned going to kart school and I was curious while you were on that topic. Even here in Canada there are a lot of those schools, I was just curious if it was just a place to get better at racing or is it like when you get out you get some sort of license to race in certain racing leagues or somethin??

Karting is a ladder to formula, specfically for younger racers who start usually by the time they're 11 with aspirations of becoming a paid-driver. It won't get you a racing license in any of the touring car series you see on TV. To race in SCCA there is a pretty standard ladder for getting different licenses...check out www.scca.com for more.

But karting is more than just a place for the young, ambitious and usually at least moderately wealthy. It is a place where older people race just purely for the sport, competition and fun of karting. Karting is insanely thrilling and challenging. It truly boggles my mind that anyone would spend more huge sums to customize their street-car when they could be using that money to kart.

Dreamspawn
03-16-2005, 11:44 PM
It was Igors first time driving a right hand drive car.

Personally - I have been driving GT-Rs in the US since 1999. I worked at Motorex 1999-2002. Its really not hard to shift with either hand. If you can pick things up with either hand- you have enough coordination.

I envy you so very very much. like i said earlier in the thread if i got chance just to see a skyline in person i'd cry, and you have goto drive them. Is rbmotoring legalizing skyline yet or still seeking approval from the big 3?

Also Igor how did you get into road racing? The only thing like that i can find here in KY is autocross? Isn't the nearest road course mid-ohio? I'm 19 i'm highly interested in going road racing even its the most little level. Just wondering how u got started? So that i might be able to follow in your steps.

Layla's Keeper
03-16-2005, 11:48 PM
You can tell that a car is fighting a push from 60 seconds of spliced together footage ?

Most vehicles inheriently understeer, the GT-R is not most vehicles

Any spectulation of finishing positions is pointless. We dont have any expected results, but are looking forward to the possibilities.

An ISMA supermodified laps Sandusky Speedway in under 16 seconds and in qualifying you get three laps, one to warm tires and two hot. I was a member of Race Race America Ltd up until the untimely death of our founder and learned chassis setup (and construction) at the hands of Jim Bodnar.

Yes, I can in fact tell what a car is fighting from limited time on track and a compromised viewing position (crew stands at Sandusky were at the entrance to turn one, behind the pit entrance) and judging by the amount of lean at the nose compared to the tail, the points where the throttle was being picked up, and how much steering input was cranked in from the wheel angle, it looked like a bad push off center on throttle.

Tiger Racing
03-17-2005, 02:27 AM
No Road America this year. Scheduling conflicts.

Merely a reference. There is no Road America race this season. Instead, Cleveland has been added to the schedule. World Challenge will be a support race for... CART. :)

As far as times the car runs. We are currently working with the SCCA on the VTS. We came out to Sebring to get a feel for the races and see how the event is run. We have had a little bit of time to talk to SCCA about what the car is.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who will be interested in seeing the VTS when it comes out. Have you guys paid the homologation fee yet?

I want to point out that the primary reason for the entry into World Challenge in '06 rather than this season is for driver development. I will have a full time program in place to ensure my success as the driver including a full season of Endurance Karting, lots of testing in the GT-R, and sedan/coupe racing as well.

So you don't actually have any real, race experience? None? As someone else who leaped before looking into World Challenge, may I ask you a question?

What are you smoking and is it legal in Amsterdam?

I understand wanting to race what you want, where you want, but whose idea was it to take a totally untested car and a completely inexperienced driver into what is arguably the most competitive road racing series in North America? Even a full year of endurance karting is nothing compared to what the least experienced full-time driver in WCGT has under their belt. Who's sponsoring this team?

C.

03-17-2005, 03:19 AM
So you don't actually have any real, race experience? None? As someone else who leaped before looking into World Challenge, may I ask you a question?

I understand wanting to race what you want, where you want, but whose idea was it to take a totally untested car and a completely inexperienced driver into what is arguably the most competitive road racing series in North America? Even a full year of endurance karting is nothing compared to what the least experienced full-time driver in WCGT has under their belt. Who's sponsoring this team?

C.

heh, what did you think I was talking about in my earlier posts? I wouldn't even throw a rookie into a competitive regional spec-miata race, unless I wanted him to suffer a serious blow to his ego (and likely his roll-cage too). Site revenue appears to have financed the car, but you as someone with personal experience running a WC program as well as I know that it takes hundreds of thousands just to show up consistently at the tracks let alone be competitive. Buying the car is the least expensive part.

Anyway, he needs gigantic amounts of seat time in the Skyline just in order to deal with the battling leaders come up to lap him. Those guys will have no mercy for a rookie as they battle it out. Seems like a nice guy...wanna keep him from making a really costly mistake. Anyway, bottom line is that if he has serious natural talent then a year of solid racing should make him good enough to avoid disaster. However, if not, lol, he might want to consider 2007.

SkylineUSA
03-17-2005, 02:27 PM

C.

TigerRacing,

Igor is a very intelligent, and motivated young man. Plus, with the car he has, and a team of experts to back him, I have all the confidence in the world that not only can he participate in the WCGT, but he will be competitive. He is probably one of the most intelligent people I have had the pleasure to speak with, and I have friends and family in Mensa. Give him a chance, before you try to chastise him, please.

03-17-2005, 03:31 PM
TigerRacing,

Igor is a very intelligent, and motivated young man. Plus, with the car he has, and a team of experts to back him, I have all the confidence in the world that not only can he participate in the WCGT, but he will be competitive.

The thing is that all the other teams have experts and drivers with years of experience. Also, despite the idolized view you have of the Skyline I doubt it will be a competitive car. It is an aging platform and in the engine-restricted series of GT will not to be able to use its ability to creative massive hp. Its handling isn't exactly legendary either.

tyndago
03-17-2005, 05:26 PM
I'm sure that I'm not the only one who will be interested in seeing the VTS when it comes out. .

The VTS will read like most of the cars. Tires a certain width. Lots of stock parts in the engine. Lots more stock parts than you might think. The car will weigh in the 3000-3200 lb range. It will make about 500 hp. There wont be any real suprises.

So you don't actually have any real, race experience? None? As someone else who leaped before looking into World Challenge, may I ask you a question? I understand wanting to race what you want, where you want, but whose idea was it to take a totally untested car and a completely inexperienced driver into what is arguably the most competitive road racing series in North America? Even a full year of endurance karting is nothing compared to what the least experienced full-time driver in WCGT has under their belt. Who's sponsoring this team?

So you went into World Challenge and realized how difficult it is and you ask us what we are smoking.

1 year. Actually 15 months of development for this car for this series. We are currently at Sebring - looking and learning more about what we threw our hat into.

As far as this car being untested. Its a Nismo built race car. A car based on a chassis that Nismo has been racing for 16 years. Its a 5 year old race car that finished 2nd overall in Super Taikyu in 2001. More history of the vehicle is in the article about this car.

As far as inexperience goes. Everyone is a rookie sometime. There have been a couple of rookies that have done well at World Challenge.

tyndago
03-17-2005, 05:28 PM
all the other teams have experts and drivers with years of experience.

All the other teams have drivers with years of experience ? Really ? All of them?

So then a rookie cant race in this series until he gets "years of experience"?

Tiger Racing
03-17-2005, 06:00 PM
Igor is a very intelligent, and motivated young man.

That doesn't mean he is good at racing cars.

Plus, with the car he has, and a team of experts to back him, I have all the confidence in the world that not only can he participate in the WCGT, but he will be competitive.

I certainly wouldn't be money on it, but I guess it's your money to lose.

He is probably one of the most intelligent people I have had the pleasure to speak with, and I have friends and family in Mensa. Give him a chance, before you try to chastise him, please.

I don't know what IQ points have to do with this, other than the fact that it is questionable whether entering a highly competitive, extremely expensive pro series to get one's first taste of racing is really the smartest route into motorsport history. But I didn't chastise anyone. I made a joke about what a huge bite this guy is taking off the road racing pie. As I've said, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I was just wondering why this plan was implemented in this way.

C.

03-17-2005, 06:03 PM
All the other teams have drivers with years of experience ? Really ? All of them?

Probably 90 percent if not all of them have years of experience. Rookies don't typically jump into a high-powered GT series.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be negative. I hope Igor is successful and if I can aid him I'll do that.

Tiger Racing
03-17-2005, 07:05 PM
The VTS will read like most of the cars. Tires a certain width. Lots of stock parts in the engine. Lots more stock parts than you might think. The car will weigh in the 3000-3200 lb range. It will make about 500 hp. There wont be any real suprises.

I know how VTS sheets usually read. The devil is in the details.

So you went into World Challenge and realized how difficult it is and you ask us what we are smoking.

Yes. I did. I am speaking from first hand knowledge and experience. We jumped into Ferrari Challenge without really looking at the series, because we wanted to race a Ferrari 355 F1 car. We needed the paddle shifter for hand controls. We had no idea how competitive the series was until we were in it. The only other cars I'd ever raced were an '88 Supra and a '95 Mustang. Both street cars run in track day events. The Ferrari Challenge cars aren't really race cars compared to serious race cars, but they are a mighty step up from a 6 cylinder Supra with a bolt in, 4-point harness. I did pretty well in Ferrari Challenge for a couple of yrs, then went to SCCA Club Racing where I won the So Cal Regional T1 Championship before plunging blindly into World Challenge in a woefully underpowered and decidedly unreliable Ferrari. I had enough race experience under my belt that I could at least stay out of the way while I was getting my butt kicked, but I could have used more time in close, competitive racing with more equal drivers. I don't know anyone who couldn't.

1 year. Actually 15 months of development for this car for this series. We are currently at Sebring - looking and learning more about what we threw our hat into.

I'm curious as to why you didn't look into World Challenge more closely before acquiring this car and issuing a press release.

As far as this car being untested. Its a Nismo built race car. A car based on a chassis that Nismo has been racing for 16 years.

The car has never been run in World Challenge trim.

As far as inexperience goes. Everyone is a rookie sometime. There have been a couple of rookies that have done well at World Challenge

Come on now. Being a rookie to a particular series is nothing like being flat out new to racing overall. Rookies usually have some experience in lower leagues for a few yrs before moving up to the majors. No doubt about it, World Challenge is major league road racing. These guys are bloody well serious. Many of them are paid professionals, a lot of them spend more time behind the wheel in a year than they do tucked into their beds at home and I don't believe that any of them went from 0-170 like you are talking about doing.

Yes. I don't know of a single driver whose first year of road racing began in World Challenge.

You're misunderstanding how the term rookie is commonly used in this context. And the point is whether someone with zero experience can be competitive against the likes of Pilgrim, Henzler and Archer in their factory backed or supported cars.

C.

03-17-2005, 09:42 PM
Winning T1 in the SoCal region (althought right now T1 fields are almost non-existant in SoCal) and having experience in the 355 Challenge series is a far cry from where Igor is at. Many times when you hear the term rookie used it is rather ludicrous. Like in touring car in 2004 Bob Endicott was competing for ROY, but only cause it was his first year in WC. If BMW's hotshoe in the BTCC, Andy Priaulx came to Speed WC he'd be considered a rookie.

There's a double regional at Buttonwillow this weekend...but I'm assuming he doesn't have his regional license yet. Are you even SCCA members yet?

Which reminds me, you do know that Igor will need to complete a bunch of national level races to even qualify for the pro-license required for WC. And before he can get a national license to compete in national events he needs to get a novice-license and then compete 4 regional races.

Maybe I'll volunteer to instruct at Igor's SCCA super-school (required to get the novice license). The best route would be to purchase a spec-miata to compete in for the rest of the season.

tyndago
03-18-2005, 07:47 AM
Thank you to everyone for their input. We are discussing each post among ourselves. We appreciate the advice from people with experience.

We had a chance yesterday to walk around in the rain andt

SkylineUSA
03-18-2005, 11:52 AM
That doesn't mean he is good at racing cars.

I certainly wouldn't be money on it, but I guess it's your money to lose.

I don't know what IQ points have to do with this, other than the fact that it is questionable whether entering a highly competitive, extremely expensive pro series to get one's first taste of racing is really the smartest route into motorsport history. But I didn't chastise anyone. I made a joke about what a huge bite this guy is taking off the road racing pie. As I've said, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I was just wondering why this plan was implemented in this way.

C.

How many cars total will be racing in a normal WCGT season? I would put money that the GTR would finish in the top 50%, if it can get a full season in.

As far as the IQ, you are missing my point. Don't key in on the fact that he is just a smart kid, he has a plan, he has a team, and the kids has some skills, not necessarily on the race course yet, but with practise it will come.

As for the way he is going about it, speculation on my parts, it has to do with the car.

03-18-2005, 12:58 PM
I would put money that the GTR would finish in the top 50%, if it can get a full season in.

A judgement based on your extensive knowledge of motorsport, no doubt.

SkylineUSA
03-18-2005, 04:41 PM
A judgement based on your extensive knowledge of motorsport, no doubt.

I guess you take that as an insult.

SkylineUSA
03-18-2005, 05:01 PM
Its handling isn't exactly legendary either.

Ignorance is bliss.

That has to be one of the most uniformed quotes I have seen posted on the internet, way to go 98.

Add your comment to this topic!