Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

318is more power to be had?

E36BMWPower
03-24-2002, 07:46 PM
I'm beginning to wonder about the power mod availability for my E36 318is P reg (GB)...

I'm told K@N do not offer a 57i, only the replacement filter.

Chipping will not improve performance because the cars already at the high-end.

Does anyone have any stories, performance gaining tips?

Yes the motor is great stock, but there must be more!

All comments welcome

328isRob
03-26-2002, 10:30 AM
You can put a cone filter on it. Change the exhaust, headers, cams, chip, gearing, compression, turbo, supercharger, NoS the list quite large.

check out www.bmpd.com, www.bavauto.com, Active Autowerkes, UUC, and DinanBmw.

E36BMWPower
03-26-2002, 04:57 PM
Cheers, OK I should have said power/pickup gains on a budget. But you mentioned chips... spoke with Superchips today and they (providing engine tuned and in good order) say 10bhp is expected!

Will check out the sites you mentioned for ideas.

Cheers again.

328isRob
03-26-2002, 05:04 PM
Also look at the Jim Conforti software as well as the shark injector. From what I remember the JC software is the best, although none of them really make a whole heck of alot of difference for $400. Since your car is a OBDI the chip should be alot cheaper. Good luck.

3.5litermoose
03-28-2002, 01:38 PM
exhausts dont really yeild too much hp unless you get into spending big money, other wise they just make your car sound good. Chips are good ideas for cheap horsepower boost, i know a few people who are very happy with their jim confronti chip on e30's though. A cold air filter might make that cone air filter give you even more hp too, and you can construct one on your own with some sheet metal.
changing your rear diff gearing might help out as well. im not sure what factory gearing on an e36 318is is, but a higher ratio will give you way better acceleration, even better if you can get limited slip put in too.

328isRob
03-29-2002, 03:14 PM
You should also check this out.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26406

E36BMWPower
03-29-2002, 09:42 PM
Pitty I'm in UK.... Gonna go and check out Jim Conforti stuff, there's alot of threads posted about these chips, hopefully they can supply the UK.

If I wanted to retain the BMW airbox, will a K&N (or simillar) replacemnt filter help? I intend to Snitzer or Scorpion the exaust system later.

THanks again for reply's guys!

328isRob
03-29-2002, 11:26 PM
You should have no problem getting the chip. I can't say anything for the Schnitzer or Scorpion exhaust, most everyone I know has a AA (Active Autowereke) or SuperSprint exhaust.

E36BMWPower
03-30-2002, 07:20 PM
Christ! Seems like I bought a no mod bimmer!

Cos the cars a 97 318is (1896cc), most of the mods aren't listed. Seems that everyone stopped producing after 96 correct? Engine is M44 I think, more power and litre than the old 318is (140bhp).

Checked out K&N and JC chips... no joy.

JC seems to be favoured over SuperChips here... also you can fit them yourself... are they really better though?

Seriously - I'd like to know if the <-96 mods (ie airfilter) would fit.

Add your comment to this topic!