Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Power Steering Pump

swedish
03-24-2002, 05:29 PM
I am replacing some cracked hoses running to/from power steering pump, and i'm just wondering because of the odd pressure fittings: do i have to bleed or purge the pump or steering assembly before i hook everything back up?

TheMan5952
03-26-2002, 01:14 AM
I'm not exactaly sure, i would flush it out, just to start off with fresh fluid in the system.

swedish
04-05-2002, 09:21 PM
does anyone know for sure?

swedish
04-06-2002, 10:51 PM
??????????????????????????????????????

TheMan5952
04-09-2002, 10:07 AM
sorry I can't help you more, look in a shop manual for your vehicle and if they don't say, try calling around to alignment shops or auto repair places.

swedish
04-09-2002, 02:19 PM
good idea
thanks(again)

TerminalVelocity
06-03-2002, 09:52 PM
you defentally should, old degrading fluid in a new hose is just a bad idea, if you completly flush the system and then put on the new hoses you have much longer life to them, especally if someone along the way subsituted atf for power steering fluid, I know they did when I had my mustang so the hoses were rotting fast, then fate came along and the mustang had to go before I had to replace them, point is, if you do it, do it right the first time and flush, its a good idea.

Brightfoot
10-07-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by TerminalVelocity
you defentally should, old degrading fluid in a new hose is just a bad idea, if you completly flush the system and then put on the new hoses you have much longer life to them, especally if someone along the way subsituted atf for power steering fluid, I know they did when I had my mustang so the hoses were rotting fast, then fate came along and the mustang had to go before I had to replace them, point is, if you do it, do it right the first time and flush, its a good idea. I've been trying to find out the difference between ATF and Power Steering Fluid but can't seam to find much. What can you tell me? Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!