Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Sub Box

seco
03-04-2005, 02:25 PM
should i get these speakers http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...7958849812&rd=1 with that same box or those speakers without a ported box?Its for an Envoy i posted it in the envoy section but its dead so since its a general question about audio i posted it here?

spyderturbo007
03-04-2005, 02:52 PM
Your link is bad.

seco
03-04-2005, 06:05 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38647&item=7958849812&rd=1

viet_boiiiii
03-05-2005, 12:48 AM
U should get those speakers. Dam thats hellllla cheap! I got my Fosgate 2 12" p2 for $600 w/ box, Fosgate 900w amp and they installed everything. It was Audio Express.

scottsee
03-05-2005, 09:10 AM
good deal. but there are much better subs out there in the same price range.

bighauns
03-05-2005, 10:48 AM
the box will make the subs sound crappier than the subs actually are. Audiobahn is not good for SQ at all!!! I would say spend the money on something that will sound better, and then build the box youself. It will be louder, sound better, and most likely be cheaper.

I had an audiobahn flame q sub, it sounded like shit, but it was loud. Audiobahns just sound flappy because of the big surround.

viet_boiiiii
03-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Oh yeah try and find a box taht has no hole for air to escape because i have that on my 2 12. The people at Audio express told me if u have no holes in the box than it will sound way deeper. Well i dont know if this is true or not but my shit thumps! lol

seco
03-05-2005, 12:16 PM
give me suggestions with links to what i should get under 300 buxs.
Amp, box, and subs
Is soundstorm a good amp?

bighauns
03-05-2005, 06:09 PM
Soundstreams old stuff was better than their new stuff. If you spend little money you are going to get little stuff. I would say seriously build your own box, that will save you money right there and it will sound waaaay better. There is no way you can get a decent sub, box, and amp for under 300 bux unless you want a shitty shitty shitty system.

scottsee
03-05-2005, 10:14 PM
not true.

EBAY!!

1 Profile AP740 60x4 "RMS" @4 ohms .05% THD $69
1 Profile HA1000 500x2 RMS @ 2 ohms .07% THD $69 (the reasion i show 2ohms is becasue the vgw-10's are DVC's and when you bridge the amp you will drop the ohm load on the sub's and amp to 2ohm load per channel)
2 SoundStream VGW-10 500watt RMS $109

Total = $356

you need a sealed box with .5in enclosure. the smallest i could find on ebay was .75in for $39.
Build your own.

i've heard that exact system and it pounds the Shit of a hatch back civic. Given thats with a 4 channel amp too.

91 Eclipse
03-14-2005, 04:42 PM
I wouldnt go with audiobahn if your looking for sound, if your going for looks get htose its a good deal. audiobahns subs arent that loud look at kiker solo barics those are some kickass subs my bro has 2 10" solos and you cant even sit in the car with them even turned halfway up, he also has dynomat and shit to with a 1200 watt amp. Many different subs out there check around.

bighauns
03-14-2005, 05:00 PM
not true.

EBAY!!

1 Profile AP740 60x4 "RMS" @4 ohms .05% THD $69
1 Profile HA1000 500x2 RMS @ 2 ohms .07% THD $69 (the reasion i show 2ohms is becasue the vgw-10's are DVC's and when you bridge the amp you will drop the ohm load on the sub's and amp to 2ohm load per channel)
2 SoundStream VGW-10 500watt RMS $109

Total = $356

you need a sealed box with .5in enclosure. the smallest i could find on ebay was .75in for $39.
Build your own.

i've heard that exact system and it pounds the Shit of a hatch back civic. Given thats with a 4 channel amp too.

Thats impressive for 356 bucks I will give you that. I don't think that is what I would do, but there is nothing wrong with it.

And my statement still stands...Cant get a system for under 300 bucks that is good. did you take into account shipping on those prices?

And yeah, Audiobahn is shitty. If anyone wants a 12" Flame Q 1200W RMS sub, let me know, I have one.

96RSeclipse
03-14-2005, 09:37 PM
personal suggestion - dont buy off ebay. alot of their stuff is refurbished even stuff that says it isnt. i got a kicker L5 solo barack and bought a sheet of 1 inch MDF and built a box sealed with 3 layers of silicon. probobly cost me around 300 total and it sounds amazing! ive had al least 15 different subs in the last 2 years and havent found one that can even remotley comepare to the kicker. also let me mention that this sub is 800 watts RMS and im running it off of my 200 watt audiobahn amp until i buy a new one. To hit the topic of boxes... its very simple - Sealed boxes are much deaper, but do not go as loud, while ported boxes (boxes with holes) will go louder, but you wont get the low low bass. the kinda of box you use really depends upon the sound you want. i also would not recomend trying to build a ported box. unless you slot port the box, you will have a very difficult time getting it to sound right. also, if the inside corners of the ported box are not designed and rounded, you will get a funn whistling sound everytime the subwoofer recoils. IT GETS VERY VERY ANNOYING! if you want a ported box, but a good one (proboboly going to run about $100 for a decent one, if you want sealed, you can do it yourself, just dont rush the process - take your time!

scottsee
03-18-2005, 01:41 AM
ive personaly seen a sealed 12in sound stream trantula sub blow a .75in box up becasue of backpressure. weirdest experience ive EVER seen

bighauns
03-18-2005, 09:53 AM
I dont think that eBay is the devil. If you buy the stuff that is all over it then yes, such as Audiobahn, Infinity, etc. But if you are buying quality stuff, like I have, you will have a good experience.

As for the box, the type it is totally depends on what you want and what type of subs you have. A sub box "with no hole and no air to get out" is called sealed and generally it will not be a deeper sound, that would be with a ported box. Bandpass boxes sound like shit period, and it is not worth it to have a bandpass vs. ported for the little bit of exta SPL that you will get.

I would say find out the specs on your sub, go buy some wood and build a sold box. Anything that you build (if done right) will blow a pre-fab box out of the water like no bodys business.

96RSeclipse
03-18-2005, 02:37 PM
"A sub box "with no hole and no air to get out" is called sealed and generally it will not be a deeper sound, that would be with a ported box"

What?! Ported boxes are louder - sealed boxes are deeper. anyone who knows anything about a subwoofer can tell you that. its general knowledge. if you dont believe me, check out sounddomain.com or ask any competition stereo shop around.

bighauns
03-18-2005, 11:02 PM
Sorry, let me clarify...

Ported boxes are able to hit higher SPL and lower frequencies when ported at a specific frequency than compared to a sealed box. Sorry for the confusion.

ponchonutty
03-19-2005, 06:29 PM
Sorry, let me clarify...

Ported boxes are able to hit higher SPL and lower frequencies when ported at a specific frequency than compared to a sealed box. Sorry for the confusion.
You all are right. It depends on the system and vehicle. If you have a box that slams in a SUV doesn't mean it will slam in a hatch or trunk. WIth my experiance, it I see that sealeds give you more punch and sometimes SPL while ported gives more deeper responce and the ability to mechanically adjust the curve.

bighauns
03-21-2005, 12:56 AM
YES thank-you!!

It all depends on what you want the sound to be like, as well as the sub. Some subs require specific types of boxes, and all subs have specific air space limitations as well.

Add your comment to this topic!