Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Installed DVD and screen

david-b
03-03-2005, 04:28 PM
I installed my DVD player and 5in LCD screen yesterday, and let me just say, that shit is awesome!! I got the actually player under the driver seat. Its an AudioVox... very small and sleek. The wires then go through the center console, to under the passenger seat, where the FM transmitter is located, and alot of the wiring. There seems to be alot of wires, but they're just long. The s-video cable then goes throught the center console to the glove box, where the 5" screen is stored. I can either open the box, and wedge the screen between the top and bottom, OR, pull the screen out and hook it up to my passenger-sdie airbag. The corners of the vinyl are lifted up, so i can slifde the base of the screen inbetween there. Looks great, sounds great, and people look all stupid at you. I was watching South Park the movie last night while driving around. It's great having Cartman swearing "Uncle Fucker!" all loud in your car. Ill post pictures soon. I didnt want aything permenite, so I can remove it all if I needed to.

imtheoneandonlyD
03-03-2005, 11:39 PM
:useless:

i wanna see

bighauns
03-04-2005, 10:17 AM
Thats cool man, it sounds like it would have been easier with an indash though...like yours truely :-)

haha, I cant wait to see the pics.

david-b
03-04-2005, 02:44 PM
Pics are coming this weekend. I wanted an indash one. I get nice discounts working at Circuit City on those, but it's still too expensive for my a little show. Id rather spend that money on performance. Anywho, my goal is to buy datalogger, or some laptop/pda hookup, and then run the display the the LCD. Have real-time data actually right in my face on the screen. That'll be sweet.

And installation was no problem. Took 1/2 hour tops. I know my car and how I wired it, so I can hook anything up quickly. Indash unit would have been easier tho... except for the fact that my stereo is hardwired into my car... Dont ask.

bighauns
03-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Man...did you hardwire it?! if you did I am gonna slap you boy!!! j/p.

yeah, I swaped my old deck out and my indash in...in approximately 7.3 minutes :-)

it was wicked easy. I will have to slap some pictures up some time soon

yellowspyder
03-06-2005, 11:01 AM
I also have an indash dvd the eclipse av-3423 they are definitly hella expensve but it is awesome the first time you are watching a movie while driving. Plus its cool for waiting in parrking lots for you friend to come back out of the store ya know. It cool that ya got it in but i definitly think in dash is the way to go. Out of curiosty what did that cost ya?

david-b
03-06-2005, 08:18 PM
The whole setup cost $100. The dvd player itself costs $250 brand new. The transmitter costs like $80 or so. I got a great price. I love it. I got deals. lol.

Yeah, my stereo is hard wired. I couldnt find a harness for it. I know where wires go on the decks, so I solders the wires to unit. Eventually plan to get a new stereo and a harness, but until then...

I didnt have a chance to take pics yet, but Ill have em by tuesday.

bighauns
03-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Guys, I have posted that my in-dash is for sale in this non-performance section, check it out.

Peace.

97_3clipse
03-07-2005, 11:31 AM
nice job man lets see some pics.

david-b
03-09-2005, 08:14 PM
Heres some little pics. The bad thing with the LCD screen is that when its cold, everything is white. You have to wait for it to warm up and it takes a long time. I noticed this also with larger TVs. I deliever TVs as a side job, and they HAVE to be at room temp. (LCDs, Projections, DLPs...). You turn that shit on when cold, and you can bust it. Not with small screens tho.

This is the DVD player beneath the Driver Seat
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/501/107097DSCF0001_Custom_.JPG

This is the actual screen...
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/501/107097DSCF0003_Custom_1.JPG

This is in the glove box. Fits perfectly...
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/107097DSCF0004_Custom_.JPG

And on the dash using velcro... (velcro not perminant
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/107097DSCF0005_Custom_.JPG

bighauns
03-10-2005, 02:46 PM
Looks pretty good man, thanks for the pics. Nice Job!

imtheoneandonlyD
03-10-2005, 03:24 PM
i like the glove compartment idea. Look nice.

david-b
03-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Thanks guys. The screen wedges perfectly in the glove box. Fold down and flip in place. Only problem is, I cant really see it when driving being so low.

I also have to rewire it now. I decided to wire it to the ignition now. It turns out I didnt turn off the screen (evern tho I know I did), and it drained my battery last night. It was hooked up to constant +. Now I got to jump my brand new battery in the snow, and recharge it up.

Add your comment to this topic!