Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

some advice on 95 2.5L 5sp man

sundaydriver33
03-01-2005, 01:48 PM
I have a 95 Mystique with 143k virtually problem free up until now. I can go three ways: 1) Spend $2,000 to fix current problems 2) Spend $3,000 to put 3.0L Hybrid in and do some preventative maintence (clutch, tranny, worn out parts), 3) run it until it drops (mechanic estimates 6-8 months).

Check engine light revealed two codes EGR valve and Idle Control Valve. Further investigation revealed blown intake and valve cover gastkets and Idle Control Solonoid. Front and tranny motor mounts are shot and need replacement. 2nd gear syncho in tranny has been shot for 1.5 years, needs repair/replacement. Clutch has never been replaced.

I need some advice on how best to proceed. This is my first ford and I have been happy but I don't want to sink a ton of money into a sinking ship. If I can get this girl to last a few more years I'd be happy. How many miles can a duratec give before a complete overhaul is necessary?

Wally

beyondloadedSE
03-01-2005, 06:37 PM
I would probably just run a 3.0L hybrid for your setup. Just a 3.0L block and the 2.5L heads. Im not sure if the OBD-1 complicates things with a full 3.0L. Honestly, most of the money is going to be spent on labor, so if you can do most of the work yourself (pull the engine, assemble the new motor, reinstall, install clutch, flywheel, etc) it would save you quite a bit of money. As for the transmission, leave it to a professional to install the new syncro. You may want to consider a limited slip differential as well since your in there.

There are people on contour.org with contours with over 250K on the motor and still running strong.

Id say your probably looking at $1500-2000 for a 3.0L, tranny work, and labor.

sundaydriver33
03-01-2005, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the info. There's a guy named Robert at Low Budget Racing near my home that will handle the bulk of the work. Unfortunately my home doesn't have a garage and all the tools I used as a kid are with my Dad 3,000 miles away. Will I see a significant bump in HP from the bigger engine?

Should I be doing anything more while I'm having this work done? Are there any inexpensive ways to get a little more HP out of the engine? I was thinking of putting in new higher performance Struts and strut assemblies along with a 16in rim and lower profile tires. Right now everything is stock with the vehicle.

beyondloadedSE
03-01-2005, 09:11 PM
Yeah, robert is part of the contour enthusiasts group. He goes by the name lowbudgetracing. I think he has a 3.0L, so he should know what hes doing. Depending on what 3.0L you go with will determine the hp/tq. The absolute best combo is a 3.0L with oval port heads then the split port intake manifolds. Youll have to do some headwork to port match the oval port heads to your split port manifolds, but your looking at probably 200 whp (~240 crank) easily.

Not sure if you have the porting tools, but heres what im talking about. The left and middle have been ported to port match the stock split port manifolds. The far right is untouched.
http://www.geocities.com/Demonsvt/3LProject/Intake-Stage0-1-2.jpg

Theres a few little things such as optimizing the throttle body, removing the intake manifolds and cleaning them with some carb cleaner. After a few years, carbon piles up pretty badly. You can optimize your y-pipe and gut your precats. All of these can be done by yourself if you have access to some power tools.

Add your comment to this topic!