Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New owner of a 97

kpolly
02-28-2005, 05:13 PM
Hi everyone. Just purchased a 97 Mystique 6 cyl., auto trans. with 124, 000 kms. Just wondering what you guys feel about owning this car and what are the things that I should look out for going wrong on a mystique. I hope I made a wise purchase. Any thoughts....?

beyondloadedSE
02-28-2005, 09:07 PM
The only thing thats usually known for failure is the stock waterpump since its a plastic impellar. People upgrade to the revised metal impellar waterpump. Mine as well as many others generally give out around 70,000 miles. Not sure if yours has ever been replaced.

Mine hasnt given me the least bit of trouble since ive owned it since 1999 with 29,000 miles. Only thing thats had to be replaced is the waterpump at 72,000 miles. It now has 90,000, but I upgraded to a 3.0L engine about 1500 miles ago.

kpolly
03-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Thanks beyondloadedSE.

I'll keep that in mind. Btw, sweet contour! Since my husband saw the pic of your car, he wants to put a skirt pkg on the mystique. Thanks alot :uhoh: lol

beyondloadedSE
03-01-2005, 12:29 PM
go for it. The whole kit is from an svt contour. The rear fascia and side skirts will fit on any year contour/mystique. Front bumper will need extensive modification for a 95-97 contour/mystique.

kpolly
03-10-2005, 10:56 AM
Now that I've been driving my Mystique for a week now, I've noticed an oddity. When I use the steering wheel when I turn a corner, once it hits a certain spot while turning the wheel it will automatically turn the rest of the way on it's own, making me have to bring it back the other way to avoid turning too far. Is this a common thing to happen in Mystiques? I know every type of car has different handling, just wondering whether other people have experienced this too. I imagine you get used to it after a while if that's the case. I want to be sure that there isn't a problem with the steering though.

Thanks

beyondloadedSE
03-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Now that I've been driving my Mystique for a week now, I've noticed an oddity. When I use the steering wheel when I turn a corner, once it hits a certain spot while turning the wheel it will automatically turn the rest of the way on it's own, making me have to bring it back the other way to avoid turning too far. Is this a common thing to happen in Mystiques? I know every type of car has different handling, just wondering whether other people have experienced this too. I imagine you get used to it after a while if that's the case. I want to be sure that there isn't a problem with the steering though.

Thanks

Mine certainly doesnt do that, and I can tell you right now, that its not supposed to do that.

kpolly
03-10-2005, 02:49 PM
so, what do you think it could possibly be?

beyondloadedSE
03-10-2005, 04:15 PM
check the control arms.

kpolly
03-15-2005, 12:40 PM
well, we took it back to the dealer we bought it from and they did a front wheel alignment and put on a brand new set of front tires, which obviously needed to be done as the tread was bald on the outside. It's amazing how you could lose that much tread in just one week. Picked it up last night and it drives so much better.

Fgreco
03-21-2005, 10:51 PM
my water pump gave out at 66,000 miles and it cost like 360$ cause I have the 2.5 v6 engine with the 24 valve engine. The steering wheel is tight but, no it should not have done that.

beyondloadedSE
03-21-2005, 11:59 PM
my water pump gave out at 66,000 miles and it cost like 360$ cause I have the 2.5 v6 engine with the 24 valve engine. The steering wheel is tight but, no it should not have done that.

:eek: It only costs like $80 from an auto parts store and about an hour to replace.

Fgreco
04-12-2005, 09:37 PM
yeah I know the part was 100.00$ and the labor was like 260 they said with the 24 valves that they had to take them off the motor to get to the pump. I dont know how to put it in myself so that is why I get screwed. Thanks for informing me anyway. peace

beyondloadedSE
04-17-2005, 08:34 PM
yeah I know the part was 100.00$ and the labor was like 260 they said with the 24 valves that they had to take them off the motor to get to the pump. I dont know how to put it in myself so that is why I get screwed. Thanks for informing me anyway. peace

The waterpump is located to the right of the front valve cover. Its totally external from the engine. Its literally as easy as removing some hose clamps and replacing the new one. 30 min job tops.

Add your comment to this topic!