Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'98 Jetta Alarm problems

slbert
02-27-2005, 01:38 PM
Hey Ya'll
My son did a "light" hit with my jetta (sliding down a slippery ravine road). Since then, if I have the car running and open the driver door the alarm sets. How do you start to figure this one out? Should I just replace the alarm module as a start? Thoughts from the experts out there.
Thanx in advance,
Steve

boschmann
02-27-2005, 02:40 PM
It sounds like the alarm switch that attaches to the dook lock in the driver's door may be bad. These alarms are notorious for strange behavior and are usually just disconnectd as it can be a real pain to diagnose. Common problem areas are in the door hinge electrical harness areas, the door latch & lock switchs, the module itself, & the hood switch.

greekjoe
03-01-2005, 01:18 PM
I am having a problem with my alarm too. I had body work done by my insurance company around the hood, and now the alarm won't set when I press the button on the transponder. Instead, the alarm's timer begins--indicating that one of the doors, the hood, or the trunk is open. After the timer expires, the horn beeps and the alarm is armed. Any idea how to fix this (my insurance company is unsympathetic and doesn't want to help)?

Add your comment to this topic!