Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Damn the man who invented throw out bearings...

sparq
03-22-2002, 12:57 AM
Yeah so im almost positive thats what it is because well basically im pretty positive thats what it is because I hope to think ive learned SOMETHING to know what the fucks wrong with my car. So yeah last night after I get the rims and tires on and take it out for a VERY quick spin to take some pics then later that night Rene comes over and we take it back out and we come back and of course on the way back -- throw out bearing desides to say "fuck you, you are never going back to New York" and so now im stuck in Florida with a car I CAN drive but cant really drive for the fact that ill go through my clutch like my car will go through my tires with wicked camber :o

So now its a moral decision of spend $300-$450 on a motor that im not going to keep anyways as I PLANNED to swap it. Or just go ahead and pull the money outta my ass and swap it -- Rene says just fix it -- but I hate the fact that im spending that money on my gay ass CX tranny that im not keeping anyways. You know? But what does Rene know... I want everyones HONEST opinion of what you would do. I mean either way im stuck down here for longer then I wanted -- as I wanted to go back this coming monday and obviously that just isnt fucking possible now. But what would you do... :bloated:

Rice-Rocketeer
03-22-2002, 08:50 AM
Spend $1500 to swap an engine, just to swap another one in a few months time. mmhhmm.

clatescivicr
03-22-2002, 09:13 AM
Hey with all this talk about turboing the D16z6 and getting 200hp, maybe I'll sell ya mine :D too bad your not in NY for me to easily give it to ya :p Just Playin Nick, you know that.....

89ssgti
03-22-2002, 10:00 AM
I say fix the bearing,it may be money spent on a Cx,but it will cost you less than a swap you don't want:)

sparq
03-22-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by 89ssgti
but it will cost you less than a swap you don't want:) Who says a turbo D16 isnt what I want... frankly when it comes to what we "want" and reality, we all have to make compromises yes? I mean I dont know many people that say I want this this this and this and that and that -- and get exactly that. But at least the D16 is something I could BUILD off of, I cant use the damn CX as a base...

nijia555
03-22-2002, 11:49 AM
i am pretty sure you guys knew some sad person would ask this question, what are throw out bearing or what ever they are called. how did you know that your were jacked.

piscorpio
03-22-2002, 04:16 PM
Turbo d16!!!!!!!!!!!

Just because I want you to be a guinea pig for me (since Im considering the same) :D

Seriously though, you should try to do it right the first time. If you do not really want a turbo d16 and would rather have the H22, then save the money, bite the bullet, and patch up the CX. It just depends on your answer to the age old question: how much speed do you want?

Darkwing
03-22-2002, 04:36 PM
If you want a drag car, repair the CX, if you want a daily driver, get the D16. Simple as that.

xivera
03-22-2002, 05:19 PM
Swap... You're gonna do it anyways!
Why endure more problems w/ your present [sh*tty] engine/tranny!?

sparq
03-22-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by xivera
Swap... You're gonna do it anyways!
Why endure more problems w/ your present [sh*tty] engine/tranny!? Well hey its not sh*tty it just broke -- I mean its got 163k miles on it what do you expect? Other then that it runs fine and everything else. Pisses me off cause I still got half a tank of 93 Octane Chevron gas in it :mad: (used that along with STP super concentrated fuel injector cleaner to do some internal cleaning)

And swap what? I listed multiple options...

Its not that im going to be driving around racing people and crap -- but when some jackass revs at me and thinks hes gonna take my little hatchback I want to be able to at least give some competition. Which is why I was thinking D16 -- sure its not a big motor by any means, but its a big jump from the 70hp CX...

Another option I didnt think about was the ZC -- yes its an older motor, but its still a likely candidate as I can get complete swaps w/ under 40,000 miles on them. Ive also found one about 3 hours away thats got a built bottom end (was building it to go turbo) with some forged 9.5:1 pistons and strengthened rods -- yeah stock compression is like 9.6 so its not a huge drop, which is ok for now because im not going to immediately swap and turbo and im not really going to loose much from the 0.1:1 compression drop... I found it for $1000 from this guy -- it says "complete swap" but I dont know what that includes. Then I would have to get it shipped and yadda yadda... OR

I could just get an unbuilt (bottom end) one -- under 40k miles, motor, tranny and ECU... I would need some integra axles and I can have a 3 month warranty on the motor for $1050 shipped to my door. Basically what I would be paying for a D16 minus the fact that I wouldnt have a warranty with the D16 -- so what do you think???

VTEC_boi
03-22-2002, 10:25 PM
Hey - why did u have to take your rims off yesterday?

Ok...

I say swap it. Because it will provide a good advertisement vehicle for Red Dime. When you get your kit, audio, and stuff you can have a swap to advertise the stuff that Red Dime can get for it's customers.

That way, you don't have to sponsor a car - u get the benefits!

peace

sparq
03-23-2002, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by VTEC_boi
I say swap it. SWAP IN WHAT J00 F00L? :finger4:

Of course the SOHC - VTEC version of the ZC -- which would be the SI motor here, but JDM is also an option... not really looking at it costing any more then the DOHC older version...

1995HondaCivic
03-23-2002, 11:58 AM
H22 is too much, maybe just go D16 for now

i saw a 1996 d16 swap on ebay right now for $400

VTEC_boi
03-23-2002, 02:38 PM
Whatever j00 poor ass can afford! :finger4:

soul180
03-23-2002, 03:10 PM
hey vtec_boi, what are you saying about redime? i confused....

Scooter Bug
03-23-2002, 03:33 PM
just fix the throw out bearing and get home. it's not hard. maybe one days work.

throw out bearing: the bearing that sits on the shift fork, when clutch is engaged it pushes down on the pressure plate creating pressure to transfer the powerflow from your motor to the tranny. or something to that effect.

Becca

sparq
03-24-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Scooter Bug
just fix the throw out bearing and get home. it's not hard. maybe one days work. Sorry but I do not have the capability to replace such a part -- but I did run into another problem.

I have a temp tag that expires on April 10 -- after that tag expires, I can no longer get another temp tag, I would have to register it in Florida and all that fun stuff. Which I dont mind, cause I already paid 4% of the taxes (only need to pay another 2%) plus plates and any fees. Plus then, I have FLORIDA tags and go by FLORIDA laws (dont need a front license plate, no state inspections and a few other little things) so im thinking im just gonna do that since I need to get the vehicle registered anyways...

I really want to do I swap, but im calling around tomorrow to just get the damn CX throw out bearing fixed and to have them look over the rest of the motor to see if I should go about replacing anything else on it.

Anyone know what a STOCK replacement clutch would cost w/ labor? (Rene was trying to tell me a clutch replacement was only $300 w/ parts -- and PepBoys told me $450... not that I would have PepBoys do it but just to get a price idea) And how much labor would be if I just brought them an aftermarket clutch? And would I be able to use this clutch if I stayed with a D series swap like down the road... ??

clatescivicr
03-24-2002, 04:48 PM
Hey Nick, where ya been, I haven't seen ya on IM :confused: I got a site that you might wanna check out...I don't think you have seen it before, but it has a CHEAP turbo setup for a D16z6.... Im me when you get a chance...

VTEC_boi
03-24-2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by soul180
hey vtec_boi, what are you saying about redime? i confused....

I'm saying that if he builds his car w/ a swap that Red Dime sells it would be good advertisement.

Scooter Bug
03-24-2002, 05:33 PM
i wish i could help you out more but i'm not sure what other people charge for a clutch.

Becca

j.fuggi
03-24-2002, 09:40 PM
clutchmasters stage 0 (stock) 1.5L hatch clutch is $113.38 not installed. just the clutch. not bad. compare to the $500 stage 4 that my dumb ass has :(

clatescivicr
03-24-2002, 10:01 PM
Did I forget something...but what engine/engine mods do you have J.fuggi? Stage 4 seems like for a turboed clutch, and seems like it would be aggressive as all hell, and not that comfortable for street use. Actually a guy I know had a ACT stage 3 clutch and slipped it(i think thats what he said) and messed up his tranny.

sparq
03-25-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by j.fuggi
clutchmasters stage 0 (stock) 1.5L hatch clutch is $113.38 not installed. just the clutch. not bad. compare to the $500 stage 4 that my dumb ass has :( May I ask why you went with a stage 4? Im just going to go with stock replacement -- nothing fancy, just so I can get home and then get my new toys... muahahaha!

j.fuggi
03-25-2002, 12:09 AM
i have plans for turbo but no money. and i slipped mine once and blew a bearing. had to take apart the whole tranny and replace one small $50 piece. but yea its agressive and i like it. ;)

sparq
03-25-2002, 09:40 AM
i have plans for turbo but no money. and i slipped mine once and blew a bearing. had to take apart the whole tranny and replace one small $50 piece. but yea its agressive and i like it. ;) Yeah, which is why im just getting the whole clutch replaced -- cause labor wise its like the same amount of time, and rather just replace the whole damn thing and know that as soon as I replace just the throw out bearing the whole clutch will go or some crap. Who knows, I had MASSIVE chatter as soon as it went, so the clutch is probably messed up anyways... ah well, time to start making phone calls to see who can do it for me :)

sparq
03-26-2002, 12:22 PM
clutchmasters stage 0 (stock) 1.5L hatch clutch is $113.38 not installed. just the clutch. not bad. compare to the $500 stage 4 that my dumb ass has :( Can I ask where you got the price of the Clutchmaster for $113 ???

Do you know if ACT makes a stock type replacement?

j.fuggi
03-26-2002, 01:57 PM
just go to clutchmasters.com and input honda in the clutch field and then of course choose your model. i found that one as a 1.5L civic hatch.

Add your comment to this topic!