Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Water in Airtake

gfenisey
02-20-2005, 04:27 PM
My check engine light came on and I checked the air filter. It was soaking wet and the bottom of the air intake below the filter had a puddle of water in it. Did Ford put some drain holes in there or what?
I am stumped as how that much water got in there. And where's the connector for the code reader so I can turn off that engine check light?

Mike75
02-20-2005, 11:18 PM
Did you (or somebody else) ever remove the air silencer? If so, that might be the way that all of the water got in there. I removed mine, but have not had any problems with water getting up into there - and I live in Los Angeles where we have been having some SERIOUS monsoons this winter.

As for the connector, I think it's up in the very top left of your engine compartment, just in front of the passenger side dash and the heater core.

solaris=amazing
02-20-2005, 11:18 PM
no drain holes..

you probably hit a big puddle, and water came thru the bumper/light area.. or snow..

likhootch
05-20-2005, 02:53 PM
Did you (or somebody else) ever remove the air silencer? If so, that might be the way that all of the water got in there. I removed mine, but have not had any problems with water getting up into there - and I live in Los Angeles where we have been having some SERIOUS monsoons this winter.

As for the connector, I think it's up in the very top left of your engine compartment, just in front of the passenger side dash and the heater core.

has the radiator fluid dropped, was it just pure water? The check engine light probably came on for more than just the water, does it still come on?

Haverjake
06-20-2005, 02:35 PM
I had the exact same problem with my 96 T-Bird a few months ago.

The air inlet that is before the air cleaner box goes down and then comes back up, kind of like a plumbing trap under a sink. At the very bottom of the trap is a rubber one way valve that is supposed to drain the water out of the air inlet. When it gets stiff, the water doesn't drain and can really screw things up. I reached up and pulled the valve out and left it out, a decent amount of water came out.

The check engine light is on due to your mass air flow sensor getting wet. I had to replace mine to get the car to run right again, hopefully yours isn't too far gone.

There are also 2 TSBs on this subject as well.

Add your comment to this topic!