Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Classic car dilemma

American_car_lover
02-18-2005, 09:38 AM
I've just bought a 1967 VW Karmann Ghia in an unbelievably good condition. The car has 99 % original parts in showroom status . This has thrown me in a dilemma.Should I start 'customizing' this car for my own taste and needs? Or Should I just keep it as it is.., doing my best to keep it in a top status ?.

Supposing I was old enough in 1967 to buy this car , I would have hated a few things about it.For example , it has a huge steering wheel ,and very little legroom 'even with the driver's seat pushed back the farthest". Add to that the fact that I am 184 centimeters tall , makes driving it an impossible task. Also ,the gas,gear & brakes pedals are very strange "resembling the beetle's".

Honestly , I am not much of a collector , I am just a guy who likes old cars , but at the same time I don't want to act like someone who renovates an historical castle into a glass & steel monster.

What should I do?

Another thing , how do you keep an old car in a good condition?

Andrewh
02-18-2005, 10:21 AM
A lot of people do modifications that can be quickly changed back, and store the old parts. So for instance, if you don't like the seats, replace them. As long as you aren't cutting new holes, or welding new brackets into the car, no big deal.
Replace the engine with a bigger one, no big deal.
Change out the steering wheel, or even the whole column, again, no big deal as long as you keep the old parts and can put them back.
Chopping the top, channeling the body, tubbing and yanking out the sub frame for a tube frame, these are big deals.
But you are the owner, do what you want with the car.

Twitch1
02-21-2005, 12:44 PM
Besdies Karmann Ghias aren't exactly rare. What's a primo bone stock car worth anyhow? In #1 condition $8100. Average condition $3400.

Most classic and antique cars that have been customized have a far greater value to people interested in buying than their untouched restored stock counterparts. Look at the prices of stock and modified cars.

Andrewh is right- you're the owner. It's your car make your self happy instead of listening to what someone else would do.
http://members.aol.com/browrob549/emo/gen108.gif

Add your comment to this topic!