Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brake lights out

lightmaker
02-17-2005, 04:26 PM
Wondering if anyone could help me with this one. I have a 96 Mistake, 4 cyl. . The main brake lights do not come on when the brake pedal is pressed, but the third brake light does come on. Basically all the lights work( turn ,running lights, hazards...) but the actual brake lights. I have replaced the bulbs, and the stop light switch. Even pulled the car apart following the wiring to the pedal and I cannot find anything. Please help.

Thank you,

Vito

Coupons420
03-03-2005, 02:33 AM
have you tried the fuses? i had the same problem the brakes lights didnt work, but everything else did, it was just a fuse, try and see if its broken.

wlovett
08-08-2005, 01:52 PM
Lightmaker,

I am having the exact same issue you were having with the main brakelights not working. The third brake light works but the main brakelights do not. I have tried replacing the bulbs and fuses. All other lights works. Where you able to fix your issue? If so, can you please let me know what you did to fix the issue?

Thanks

wlovett.

glasser3
03-09-2006, 08:57 PM
ok well i dunno if this helps but i had the same thing on my contour and it ended up being a loose wire in the steering colum had that fixed and now everything is fine

lightmaker
03-16-2006, 09:42 PM
My brake lights are fixed. Ended up being the combination switch in the steering column. Not too expensive, quick and easy to fix.

Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!